Should springbars be replaced periodically? - Page 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should springbars be replaced periodically?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Should springbars be replaced periodically?

Thanks for the informative response!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    If you have a phone, you have access to Omega spring bars - just call an Omega OB or AD. You can even try a service center as these are not restricted parts that Omega only sells to watchmakers - they will sell them to anyone. Of course Otto Frei doesn't want anyone to know this...
    So, what can one expect to pay for 068st2208 at the AD? eBay listings have them for about $40 USD. Can that be right??

Quote Originally Posted by Justsumguy View Post
    So, what can one expect to pay for 068st2208 at the AD? eBay listings have them for about $40 USD. Can that be right??
    I just picked up a dozen OMEGA spring bars of various part numbers from an AD and paid full MSRP -- that's one United States Dollar each.
    Last edited by qa_ii; December 2nd, 2018 at 19:33.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Until they closed, my local boutique gave them out for free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Other than being forgetful about where your arm is in relation to walls, pipes, ladders, corners, furniture, pointy objects, etc., the worst thing for your watch is bent spring bars. Once bent, they no longer carry the load from band to lug properly and it takes a lot less force than you might think to get them to pop out of the lug. Seeing your watch dropping on pavement.... Ugh!

Check them every time you put the watch on or at least on a reasonably regular basis and change them if they are bent. They are so cheap compared to the cost of these expensive watches there's no justification not to check and replace as often as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by qa_ii View Post
    I just picked up a dozen OMEGA spring bars of various part numbers from an AD and paid full MSRP -- that's one United States Dollar each.
    I paid 1000 HUF (~3.5 USD) for a springbar at the local Omega boutique (Budapest) in December 2016.
    2 months later they didn't want to sell meg springbar, as they won't sell parts. Finally I persuaded them to sell a pair. They told it costs 2*2000 HUF. I was suprised, that the price doubled, so I asked them. They said it is a new year, with huge increases in parts price. I asked them to check again, as I thought the price of the springbar shouldn't double. Surprise: Sorry, it is unchanged, so only 2*1000 HUF...

Its a joke, they want to scam even at a boutique, even for a springbar, but yeahh this is Hungary.
    *** H. Moser & Cie - Pioneer Centre Second *** Omega Seamaster GMT - 2234.50.00 *** Omega Speedmaster Professional - Speedy Tuesday "ULTRAMAN" - 311.12.42.30.01.001 *** Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military MAXI - Limited Edition *** Grand Seiko "Snowflake" - SBGA211 *** Grand Seiko - SBGH267 *** Grand Seiko - SBGA229 ***

Anyone have any 3rd party sources to get some Omega or Omega quality springbars? I'm after some for my 41mm 2541

I use Ofrei's Swiss made spring bars for most of my watches, and have had good luck with them. Shipping is expensive if you just buy a few; I get them in various sizes a dozen at a time to help spread the cost.
    The Highest Quality Swiss Made Spring Bars

Archer's post above shows the quality difference between these and Omega spring bars, so if you can get them from Omega, you'll have better bars and possibly pay less.

Everest Bands sells Rolex/Tudor style spring bars that look identical to the Omega spring bars, though in a limited set of sizes, and at a relatively high price. The few Rolex spring bars I've seen also look identical, so I'm thinking there's an OEM out there making this style spring bar.
    https://www.everestbands.com/search?...spring%20bars*

I do think you need to replace them from time to time. I have old watches that I wore for a long time and some of the space bars on those watches were really in bad shape.

Those were beaters. But on a more expensive watch, I would just check them at least every 2-3 years, and replace them if there is any sort of damage on them. Personally I just get the Omega part. I can get them from someone on a local forum. Not really expensive (though some AD's will give you a ridiculous price) so why not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information