Should springbars be replaced periodically?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Should springbars be replaced periodically?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Should springbars be replaced periodically?

Like most people here, I like to change the strap on my Speedmaster from time to time. Recently, I have been changing the strap more often and I have noticed that the springbars offer less resistance. Maybe it is that I am getting better at this task, but I have started to wonder if springbars will become weaker with frequent strap changes. If so, do you guys replace them from time to time to avoid failure? When you replace them do you use OEM springbars or aftermarket spring bars? Finally, where would one buy OEM omega springbars?

Re: Should springbars be replaced periodically?

It really depends on how hard you wear your watch. If you have it mostly on straps/bands and change it often you probably keep it pretty clean. But I've seen ones worn on bracelets for 3-5 yrs that only had a little bit of material left due to grit, dirt etc getting in there and wearing the metal down. Try contacting an authorized retailer for OEM springbars, they'll likely give them to you for free.

I can tell you from personal experience that I inspect my spring bars when ever I change a band/bracelet. I do change my straps/bracelets fairly often so I put some wear on them and did have my Navitimer fall off my wrist at a grandaughters soccer game. Thankfully my other granddaughter found it and gave it back to me. I highly recommend replacing them if they show any wear.
    Frank.
    saltbringer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

When I get a watch into the shop, and remove the bracelet before service, sometimes the spring bars holding the bracelet to the watch simply fall apart when they are removed. I install new spring bars on watches as part of doing the full service.

People don't change spring bars often enough in my view. In terms of the quality of spring bars, they vary greatly, and Omega bars are very good quality, so that is what I install on all the watches that I service, provided I can get the appropriate size. Here is a photo of an Omega 2207 spring bar (for 20 mm bracelets) and a Swiss made Horotec bar:

As you can see the Horotec bars are crimped at the ends, but this method of manufacture allows the plungers to get misaligned - you can see that the ends of that bar are tipped in opposite directions. This can allow the end link to shift around and the constant movement can open up that crimp over time - that's when they fall apart on removal. The Omega bars don't use the same method, and stand up far better over time in my experience.

You should be able to buy spring bars at any Omega AD or OB.

Cheers, Al

R1P

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    When I get a watch into the shop, and remove the bracelet before service, sometimes the spring bars holding the bracelet to the watch simply fall apart when they are removed. I install new spring bars on watches as part of doing the full service.

People don't change spring bars often enough in my view. In terms of the quality of spring bars, they vary greatly, and Omega bars are very good quality, so that is what I install on all the watches that I service, provided I can get the appropriate size. Here is a photo of an Omega 2207 spring bar (for 20 mm bracelets) and a Swiss made Horotec bar:

As you can see the Horotec bars are crimped at the ends, but this method of manufacture allows the plungers to get misaligned - you can see that the ends of that bar are tipped in opposite directions. This can allow the end link to shift around and the constant movement can open up that crimp over time - that's when they fall apart on removal. The Omega bars don't use the same method, and stand up far better over time in my experience.

You should be able to buy spring bars at any Omega AD or OB.

Cheers, Al
    Great comparison, Al. By the way, do you have the part number for 20mm bars used for leather/rubber applications?

Good old 2207/2208
    Archer likes this.

I usually opt for the "fattest" spring bars available. And if they ain't broke, I don't fix em.
    I've never had an occasion where swapping out straps stressed spring bars enuff to need
    to change them. But there are variables.

I'll bet I replaced at least 4 Simmons watch chains when I carried RR pocketwatches.

X Traindriver Art

X Traindriver Art

I change the spring bars whenever I get a used watch, after having a few fall apart when I took them off. Aside from that, I roll the spring bars whenever I change a band or bracelet, and if they look warped or the ends are off center, I change them.

I use the Ofrei Swiss made spring bars, since I don't have ready access to Omega spring bars, and Ofrei wants a lot for them!

Here are the full Omega PNs for the spring bars that came with my Speedy:
    068ST2208 for 20mm straps
    068ST2207 for 20mm bracelet
    R1P likes this.

I recently swapped out some straps and bracelets on a couple watches, never really noticed how beat up the spring bars get. For now on I will be looking closer at them. There cheap. Don’t want to loose a 5K watch over a $2 spring bar.
    Omega 45mm PO 2200.50
    Omega Bond 2531.80
    Seiko vintage diver 7002
    Tag Carrera CV 2013
    Tag F1
    Seiko F1
    Seiko World Crono
    Seiko Sportura
    Deep Blue Pro Sea Diver 1K
    Deep Blue Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIcon View Post
    I use the Ofrei Swiss made spring bars, since I don't have ready access to Omega spring bars, and Ofrei wants a lot for them!
    If you have a phone, you have access to Omega spring bars - just call an Omega OB or AD. You can even try a service center as these are not restricted parts that Omega only sells to watchmakers - they will sell them to anyone. Of course Otto Frei doesn't want anyone to know this...
    MaxIcon likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information