Show me your 376.0822 Speedmaster! - Page 13
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Show me your 376.0822 Speedmaster!

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Re: End links

Quote Originally Posted by helios71 View Post
    Hi all, thanks again to Pascal for the clear answers, i would ask to other Grail's owners, what it the best stell band to replace the 1450. My intention is to took off it to conserve and replace with 1479/812, 1171/633 or others suitable, the problem is decide which in particular referring to the end links adaptibility to the Grail case. Thanks in advance.
    IMO, the 1171/633 looks almost the same once installed but I had to take a pair or pliars and gently reduce the distance between the top and bottom of the end links so they wouldn't rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by michwir
    something I am wondering: the end links of serviced HGs are often seen grinded ? Isn't it possible to remove the bracelet without destroing the end links?
    The 809s that this 1450 came with were also shaved down, but I appreciated how much easier that made removing them and I also take it as a sign that the watch was serviced at least once in its lifetime. What's the difference between the 809s and the 808s that Ofrei carries?

Apologies in advance for the lousy picture quality. I got lucky gambling on the Bay. Seller in Turkey with about 4 previous sales. None of the photos showed the sweep hand reset whereas all his other watches for sale on his non-Bay website were zeroed out. I was prepared for problems on receipt but it was listed with 14 days to return for money back and it was covered under PayPal/Bay protection. When it arrived, I recorded the opening in case some other watch came out of the box...or a brick. So far, all functions work perfectly and the bracelet is a mint 1450/809s but I already took it off and put on an 1171/633s...I'm guessing that's something obscene to the purists, but I think I'm just going to flip the bracelet. IMO, it's practically indistinguishible from the 1171 unless you turn it over. I'm taking it to my watch guy to open it up and check the movement and make sure the caseback is 376.0082 and not 176.0012 (etc). Does everything else on this one look Kosher to you guys?

I already had a NOS English day wheel and just ordered a NOS date wheel (Part 1580) because I never really liked the aged yellowing thing. The only thing that bothers me more than 2 yellowed wheels is one yellow and one white. Anybody suggest leaving the original yellowish date wheel and swapping in the yellowed English day wheel from my Mark 4.5 before I sell it instead of just installing matching NOS (white) day & date wheels? I understand the appeal of matching both wheels to the hour markers and I'm open to that since there are no more Grail dials, let alone any that aren't aged. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice. One of these days I'll get a better camera than my wife's phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by FreelanceWriter; October 20th, 2012 at 13:00.
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\cam2001\SM-9-5-10.jpg

Funnily enough, I was following that sale on eBay. The watch is 100% correct, as far as I can tell, and what's more in great overall condition. Well done!

I think you'll ultimately regret selling the 1450. Many Grail owners wear theirs on a 1171 so that they can keep their 1450 pristine, but it would take a gun to their head to have them consider selling this bracelet. As for me, I actually wear mine either on its original 1450 or on an alligator strap. As far as the end pieces are concerned, the ref. 809 is specific to the Grail because it is slightly thicker to account for the bulkier case of this chronograph compared with the Moonwatch. The 808 are said to be compatible, but I've heard from some people that they need to be slightly filed in order to fit properly. Anyway, if you decide to stick to your idea to flip your 1450, please send me a PM as I know someone who might be willing to crawl naked over broken glass to find one of these with the correct ref. 809 end pieces!

As far as replacing the day wheel, I see no problem with that. The part is easily found, and it's not specific to this particular model.

Anyway, welcome to the club...

Thanks, Pascal. PM on the way. What are your thoughts on the choice between replacing both day & date wheels with white NOS to match the hands or just swaping in a yellowed day wheel from the Mark 4.5 to match the yellowed date wheel and the markers? The only givens are that I'm definitely putting in an English day wheel and matching both wheels either to be white or yellowed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Personally, I would favor using a yellowed day wheel. White day and date wheels might look a bit too conspicuous if your dial indices have patina, which is likely on a 25 year old watch.

Thanks, Pascal. I have another question if you don't mind. Is there any concern about a gasket when my watchmaker cracks this open to check it out? Is there one, and if there is, can they be sourced easily if the old one has to come out once it's opened up?

The caseback uses a standard gasket, so if there's any issue when opening the case, your watchmaker won't have any problem replacing the part by a new one. No cause for alarm here!

Re: Show me your 376.0822 Speedmaster!

Here's mine

I've changed the day/date wheels for English Fortis versions.I'm amazed not more people are putting black wheels in there. I think it looks great.

S.

HERESY!

(But I like it!)

That does look very good.

I quite like the effect of the black day and date wheels, and it's not the first time I see such a mod, but personally I will stick with the original configuration on mine.

On the other hand, it's a pity that your watch has to make do with those ridiculous service hands...

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information