Show me your 376.0822 Speedmaster! - Page 18
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Show me your 376.0822 Speedmaster!

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Re: Show me your 376.0822 Speedmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal S View Post
    So another 48.233.XXX...
    By the way, I'd blur the last three digits if I were you.
    Same here: 48233XXX. BTW, what's you main concern about posting full serial numbers?
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\cam2001\SM-9-5-10.jpg

Pictures and/or serial numbers can be used by scammers. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to such a sought after model...

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal S View Post
    Pictures and/or serial numbers can be used by scammers. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to such a sought after model...
    I took your advice, but I'm trying to understand the specific concern. It's obvious what they could do with pictures, but it's not clear to me what they could do differently knowing the full serial # of a watch you own that they couldn't do just filling in arbitrary numbers for the last 3 digits? I'm not asking rhetorically; I'm genuinely trying to understand the concern.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Okay, say you're a potential buyer of such a rare watch. Opportunities to buy one are not really common, so you want to take all necessary precautions before buying. And suddenly you stumble upon some ad listing one of these chronographs for sale. For a full-set example, prices in $ are slowly nearing 5-digits figure, so we're talking a healthy amount of cash here. One of the things you may do as a buyer is request a shitload of hi-res pictures, including some of the movement with its fully visible serial number. But if such pictures are easily available on the internet, this might be an incentive for some dodgy people to cash-in on this situation by pretending to sell a watch they never had. And while they may get away with listing an ad with masked serials, once contacted by a reasonably clever buyer, they can't maintain the deception once they are asked to provide a version of the picture where serial numbers are plainly visible.

Paranoid? Maybe. But as I said better safe than sorry with this kind of thing...

Thanks, Pascal. That's not the part I was asking about, though (I already acknowledged above that it's obvious what someone could do with pictures). I'm just curious to know the rationale behind guarding the disclosure of the full serial # in a post by not typing it out fully. What is it that a dodgy person could do knowing my full serial # that he couldn't do if he had to make up a # between 000 an 999 if I XXX'd out the last 3 digits in a forum post? I already took your advice in typing mine out, but I'd like to better understand the specific concern about typing out full serial numbers; it's something I've wondered about before, but this is the first time it's come up in a thread where I could ask without derailing the topic of conversation.
    Last edited by FreelanceWriter; December 26th, 2013 at 18:40.

my "standart" Grail has 48233... and the liberace has 48231...

Name:  grail.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  95.8 KB
    Last edited by XF-56; December 26th, 2013 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by XF-56 View Post
    my "standart" Grail has 48233... and the liberace has 48231... Name:  grail.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  95.8 KB
    Interesting- You would think liberace would have later serial since they were using up parts for the last "200"

i was a bit surprised that the liberace not have a later serial.

I'm not that surprised actually. It is perfectly possible that the Liberace used parts from watches that remained unsold for a while, including early Grails. Furthermore, since these 200 watches were destined to be the very last calibre 1045 chronograph coming out of Bienne, they probably cleared out whatever assembled movements they still had lying around...

Quote Originally Posted by FreelanceWriter View Post
    I'm just curious to know the rationale behind guarding the disclosure of the full serial # in a post by not typing it out fully. What is it that a dodgy person could do knowing my full serial # that he couldn't do if he had to make up a # between 000 an 999 if I XXX'd out the last 3 digits in a forum post? I already took your advice in typing mine out, but I'd like to better understand the specific concern about typing out full serial numbers; it's something I've wondered about before, but this is the first time it's come up in a thread where I could ask without derailing the topic of conversation.
    Sorry for not fully understanding your question. It's just an extra precaution, so that scammers cannot claim ownership of a watch whose existence would already be documented online. Careful prospective buyers might make the effort to contact either an allegedly "previous" owner or a gentleman supposedly being known under another name on another forum, but many people are too careless or lazy to go the extra mile...

It's really easy getting burnt, and WUS even has a forum where scams are denounced and described in details. We may believe that because we are knowledgeable we are immune, but most people are not.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread Information