Smudged Dealer Stamp on Warranty Card - Page 3
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Smudged Dealer Stamp on Warranty Card

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Smudged Dealer Stamp on Warranty Card

Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    I've just spent all morning e-mailing back-and-forth with a customer who purchased a watch from one of the bigger grey market dealers and I've had to explain that we don't honour the warranty on this watch because it wasn't bought from an Authorised retailer.
    That's where the harshness came from. Maybe the OP bought from an upstanding grey dealer.
    Surely there must be one​ out there.
    Sounds like an uninformed customer to me, but then I frequent the boards and am fully aware that gray market means "no manufacturer's warranty" 99% of the time. As you know, the rule is save enough on the purchase to pay for at least one service, and you're good to go.

And I do get your frustration having to explain it to uninformed (and probably frustrated) customers. But I've bought many watches from gray market and ADs, both with nary a problem.
    Last edited by rfortson; May 17th, 2017 at 21:58.

It's Rob Engstrom AB in Stockholm, Sweden. They do that on purpose to try to hide the fact that they are flooding the gray market.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Quote Originally Posted by lascaux89 View Post
    I actually did a lot of research and everyone told me that there is a difference between grey market (unstamped warranty card but warranty from the grey market company) and an "unauthorized" dealer (stamped warranty card from AD) such as DavidSW, chitow, unauthorized dealers on the sales forum, etc.
    So you think you have warranty on that watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Please close thread!
    LOL. Yeah, it doesn't actually work like that. The thread will peter out when members are no longer interested in the discussion or a mod may close it if someone breaches the rules.

They don't need to do it, they could just leave the card blank.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    So you think you have warranty on that watch?
    yup!

yup!
    OK, different story then. I was working on the assumption that a grey market watch did not have a warranty so the warranty card was immaterial. If you have warranty, then the smudge might be an issue, but glad to hear that you have worked out what it says.

OK, different story then. I was working on the assumption that a grey market watch did not have a warranty so the warranty card was immaterial. If you have warranty, then the smudge might be an issue, but glad to hear that you have worked out what it says.
    Grey market watches don't have a warranty because they come with a blank warranty card. Omega doesn't track every watch sold for warranty purposes -- either you have a card, signed and dated by an AD, that matches the serial of your watch, or you don't have a warranty. DavidSW and ChiTown aren't gray market dealers, they are resellers, so you get the warranty transferred to you when you buy the watch same as if you bought a random individual.

Smudged Dealer Stamp on Warranty Card

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeel14 View Post
    Grey market watches don't have a warranty because they come with a blank warranty card. Omega doesn't track every watch sold for warranty purposes -- either you have a card, signed and dated by an AD, that matches the serial of your watch, or you don't have a warranty. DavidSW and ChiTown aren't gray market dealers, they are resellers, so you get the warranty transferred to you when you buy the watch same as if you bought a random individual.
    I don't understand the term "resellers"? Are you saying that there are different categories of people/companies who sell and resell watches - something like?

* Boutiques
    * Authorised distributors
    * "Resellers"
    * Grey market dealers
    * Owners selling off their pieces

Is that list exhaustive (in other words, are there more) and what are defining characteristics of each category in terms of legitimacy and warranty provision?
    Last edited by arcadelt; May 18th, 2017 at 04:09.

I don't understand the term "resellers"? Are you saying that there are different categories of people/companies who sell and resell watches - something like?

* Boutiques
    * Authorised distributors
    * "Resellers"
    * Grey market dealers
    * Owners selling off their pieces

It that list exhaustive (in other words, are there more) and what are defining characteristics of each category in terms of legitimacy and warranty provision?
    AD/Boutique: First point of sale, authorized by Omega, comes with warranty card.

Gray market: First point of sale, unauthorized, will never come with signed warranty card

Reseller: Person/business who buys used watches and/or bulk buys watches from ADs to resell commercially, may come with warranty card if the original point of sale was an AD/boutique

Private Seller: Individual not in the business of selling watches who happens to be selling part or all of their collection for any number of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    arcadelt likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information