Speedmaster Pro Sapphire vs. Zenith El Primero
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Speedmaster Pro Sapphire vs. Zenith El Primero

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Speedmaster Pro Sapphire vs. Zenith El Primero

Folks, I want to firmly target instead of needlessly day dreaming about one of these :) I know I am posting in the Omega forums, but if I were to ask you to be completely open minded, which would you pick and why?

Looking at the 42mm version for the Zenith. Sapphire sandwich 1863 movement for the Speedy.

Cheers, Rao.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Re: Speedmaster Pro Sapphire vs. Zenith El Primero

You all know what the Speedy looks like. Here is the El Primero for reference.

PS. Not my pics.

Two that I've closely debated myself, but I currently own a Speedy Pro. Have you tried on the El Primero yet? They both might be listed as 42mm, but the El Primero wears drastically larger. Both the longer lugs and the larger dial/thinner bezel make it feel very large in comparison to the Speedy. The Speedy feels closer to 40mm and the El Primero feels closer to 43mm. It also has 21mm lugs, which I'm not a fan of (but that's a small thing). I do prefer the El Primero movement.

Both are great watches with great history. Assuming you're okay with the size of the El Primero, I think it really comes down to which one you like seeing on your wrist.
    Instagram: @watchonmywrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Funny I was just thinking this same thought the other day

In my head I went Zenith...date, column wheel, not as ubiquitous

Make sure you get the one with a full minutes register like your first pic. Whoever came up with cutting the register in your second pic should be shot...missing so many markers
    GrouchoM and barbecoa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Watchman View Post
    Two that I've closely debated myself, but I currently own a Speedy Pro. Have you tried on the El Primero yet? They both might be listed as 42mm, but the El Primero wears drastically larger. Both the longer lugs and the larger dial/thinner bezel make it feel very large in comparison to the Speedy. The Speedy feels closer to 40mm and the El Primero feels closer to 43mm. It also has 21mm lugs, which I'm not a fan of (but that's a small thing). I do prefer the El Primero movement.

Both are great watches with great history. Assuming you're okay with the size of the El Primero, I think it really comes down to which one you like seeing on your wrist.
    Size isn't an issue on my wrist. I currently carry a 43.5mm PO 8900 with no issues. Have a significantly larger Oris Timer too that's 44mm. I am so perplexed. The Speedy looks so good with all types of straps but the Zenith is a real looker!!

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteMustard View Post
    Funny I was just thinking this same thought the other day

In my head I went Zenith...date, column wheel, not as ubiquitous

Make sure you get the one with a full minutes register like your first pic. Whoever came up with cutting the register in your second pic should be shot...missing so many markers
    That's a super observation. Never noticed the minute markers. So 1 up for the movement on the Zenith. I'd say 1 up to for beautifully decorated movement on the Speedy sapphire back. Heard the Zenith is a pain to service too. Decisions, decisions.

Also, am I correct in assuming Zenith is kinda losing their way lately? Don't know much about them. Omega seems to be on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    That's a super observation. Never noticed the minute markers. So 1 up for the movement on the Zenith. I'd say 1 up to for beautifully decorated movement on the Speedy sapphire back. Heard the Zenith is a pain to service too. Decisions, decisions.

Also, am I correct in assuming Zenith is kinda losing their way lately? Don't know much about them. Omega seems to be on a roll.

Zenith was losing their way and went down hill under their last management, but Biver has turned them around. Zenith is starting to be the new great brand. Hard to not be impressed with their technology offerings the last two years.

El Primero is a more specialized service, but is has been around for 50 years, so it is also a tried and true movement, and the look of it isn't too shabby either

Name:  Zenith-El-Primero-410-02.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  145.4 KB

Both are great watches. I chose a Speedmaster because I'm a space nerd, but I'd love an El Primero some day. If I was to buy one, I'd love to get one of their 1969 reissues they are releasing this year. Basically an exact replica of the original except it has an open caseback and sapphire crystal.

Speedy is very versatile. Elprimero is a bit dressy

Speedy actual size (bezel size) is 40. Wears very comfortable and looks very thin. Elprimero actual size is 42, and their thin bezel makes them look big

Speedy movement is robust, zenith not really https://watchguy.co.uk/service-repai...o-calibre-400/

Both are iconic timepiece and i lust for both as well. Owned the pro sapphire and it is really a nice choice. Winding it everyday might be a chore, but i get used to it.

Love that zenith is one of the only 10 bps watch, but servicing really held me back for now
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM
    Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300M 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.006

Speedy all the way for me. I've never cared for the look of the overlapping, multi-colored sub-dials of the Zenith. It makes the dial look crowded to me.
    trappster and umarrajs like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast