Speedmaster Professional or reduced? - Page 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Speedmaster Professional or reduced?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by FJR1971 View Post
    The reduced was a great option when it was around $1100. Now prices have soared to close to $2k, and that might be without a needed service.
    If you can find the opportunity to try both on that would be best. Try not to fall for the reduced in the hope it will satisfy you desire for a speedmaster- that could be costly.
    ^THIS...exactly.

René
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Railmaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer (ref 220.10.38.20.01.002), Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

Re: Speedmaster Professional or reduced?

I've owned them both and the only person that will know they are different watches is you. The reduced will more than likely need to be serviced if you plan to keep the watch more than a few moons and they will charge you to replace the modules and service the eta movement. Just be aware that a normal $200-300 service from you local watchmaker will cost closer to $400-600. I have a 6.75" wrist and the reduced is the better watch for me but it does have some downsides.

The speedy-purist on the internet will tell you that it's not a real speedmaster, who cares tell them their watch isn't a real moon watch unless they are rocking the 321 movement and watch them become elite keyboard warriors:P.

All that said if you want the reduced to look like you have a pro dont get it. If you want it for an automatic chrono that fits your wrists well and looks both classic and sporty fire away.

edit: changed a to an
    “Time is an illusion.”
    Albert Einstein

I have had both (started with the 39mm) and it was a great fit. However, I wanted to get the so called "staple" of the icon so I moved up to the Pro. Having owned both, I can say that in terms of being a watch - it's both equally fantastic. It's just a matter of preference and taste. Definitely try it on the wrist.
    Casio 168WG
    G-Shock GWG-1000 - Mudmaster
    Grand Seiko SBGX337
    Omega Constellation Vintage
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 - Moonwatch
    Oris Diver 65 - HODINKEE Edition
    Raymond Weil 7737 - Maestro Rose
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 - Polar
    Seiko SKX 007 - Custom Donald Duck
    Seiko SRP641 - Baby Tuna
    Timex Marlin - Reissue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Abybee5892 View Post
    Pretty new to watch collecting, but I have been salivating over the Speedmaster lately. My main question is this: should I keep my sights set on the Speedmaster Professiona, or opt for the reduced? Price is obviously a factor, but part of my appreciation for this watch is it’s history and I don’t want to feel that I’m missing out on that if I get the reduced. To further complicate things, I have about a 6.5” wrist and I know the reduced would look better.

Thanks!
    Go for fit and not for model history on your selection. Several reduced models look really good, Pro looks good too. Try both before you buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Francisco
    Ω 2535.80 / 2504.52 / 168.022 / 231.90.39.21.04.001
    ♛ 16610 / 18239
    ★ 03.2150.400/69

This is a great question! Time to open the book, with a forum search.

A search will provide: history, size comparisons, movement comparisons, resale, and on and on.
    Kind Regards,

Ben

"Everyone knows memory is a fool's substitute for wit."
    --- Marquis de Lafayette

Speedy Pro Hesalite

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Being kind of new to all of this, I just don’t want to make a decision I will regret down the road. I will sit on this for a while and see if I can’t try these pieces on somewhere to get a better feel for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Abybee5892 View Post
    I really appreciate everyone’s input. Being kind of new to all of this, I just don’t want to make a decision I will regret down the road. I will sit on this for a while and see if I can’t try these pieces on somewhere to get a better feel for them.
    Trying them on is better than seeing them online, but it will only give you a temporary feeling for the thing (I speak by my own experience). The best is to find a good deal in the classifieds and wear the watch for some time. If you don't love it anymore once the honeymoon is over you can sell it without losing too much $$$ (if ever).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information