Speedmaster runs out of power fast. Need advice!
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Speedmaster runs out of power fast. Need advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Speedmaster runs out of power fast. Need advice!

The specs for Speedy say that it should last 48 hrs on full wind. Last timed tested I got 36 hrs (no chrono use, normal use conditions, no shocks or magnets, which you use to lift cars with on a scrapeyard). 36 hours, Carl!

With 1-2 hours use of chrono the watch seems to die even faster. I demagnetize the watch from time to time.

Omega serviced it last summer under warranty, now the warranty has run out and I'm planning to take it to a local watch guru. The watch was bought new in Aug 2016.

I'd like to ask for advice on:

1. Likely cause and reasonable range for cost of repair? How common is this issue?

2. Do non-Omega service centers use "genuine" Omega parts or can other manufacturers' products do the job? What's the consensus on non-Omega parts? Is there such thing as OEM in the watch world?

3. I saw some tips on this site already for watch repair shops in SF Bay Area - e.g. Tick Tock Shop in Santa Clara, but if you know of any other battle tested shop in south bay (too lazy/busy to drive all the way up to SF), please let me know.

P.S. The Speedy's quality is supposed to allow me to go to space with this watch, damn it. And I'm afraid it will stop working before I go to bed.

Re: Speedmaster runs out of power fast. Need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
    The specs for Speedy say that it should last 48 hrs on full wind. Last timed tested I got 36 hrs (no chrono use, normal use conditions, no shocks or magnets, which you use to lift cars with on a scrapeyard). 36 hours, Carl!

With 1-2 hours use of chrono the watch seems to die even faster. I demagnetize the watch from time to time.

Omega serviced it last summer under warranty, now the warranty has run out and I'm planning to take it to a local watch guru. The watch was bought new in Aug 2016.

I'd like to ask for advice on:

1. Likely cause and reasonable range for cost of repair? How common is this issue?

2. Do non-Omega service centers use "genuine" Omega parts or can other manufacturers' products do the job? What's the consensus on non-Omega parts? Is there such thing as OEM in the watch world?

3. I saw some tips on this site already for watch repair shops in SF Bay Area - e.g. Tick Tock Shop in Santa Clara, but if you know of any other battle tested shop in south bay (too lazy/busy to drive all the way up to SF), please let me know.

P.S. The Speedy's quality is supposed to allow me to go to space with this watch, damn it. And I'm afraid it will stop working before I go to bed.
    I’m not an expert, but I’ll chime in till one comes along.

(1) I wouldn’t know the cause, as it could be more than one thing, but it should cost roughly no more than a service.

(2) They do if they can get them. Safest bet is the mothership. After that it’s Omega-certified places like Nesbit’s.

(3) Got me.

PS—that stinks overall. So they serviced it last summer, but their warranty is under a year? How long has its power reserve been a problem? If it were me, I would start with Omega. See if they’ll re-examine it for a reduced cost (or none). Worst they can say is no.

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Talk to Archer over in Omega Forums, he knows Omega repair (shop owner).

It could be a weak mainspring, 36 hours is about 75% of full wind so that's a possibility.

These watches are wind only (I am assuming you do not have an automatic), normally a full wind every day will keep the technician away...

good luck.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, MkII Key West , Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist perpetual calendar GMT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Also, check out Nesbit's.

If they serviced it under warranty last year, it should have at least another year remaining. Usually you get 2 years warranty after a service correct? Take it back to an Omega boutique.

I had the same problem with my automatic watches. Turns out it was because I don't move around enough during the day, having a desk job.

I'm assuming you have the handwound Speedy Pro. Make sure you are fully winding it until it stops and you can't wind it further. Some people stop as soon as they feel any resistance fearing they will overwind it. Unless you're using a pair of pliers you can't overwind it/break the main spring. So wind it by hand until you can't and then report back.
    fastfras likes this.

Thank you for the tips guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    If they serviced it under warranty last year, it should have at least another year remaining. Usually you get 2 years warranty after a service correct? Take it back to an Omega boutique.
    Hmm..not sure what you mean. Omega serviced the watch at the end of the warranty period. Would service automatically extend the warranty period or will an extended warranty apply only to the issue, which they fixed?
    Last edited by alexjust; 4 Days Ago at 01:42.

if you don't move around alot you are not charging the watch, my monaco does the same thing, as i work from home and sit around a lot, and of course if i exercise it comes off
    instagram: Tarek_307

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information