Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 11
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

HiggsBosun:
    You are a man of knowledge that's true
    But is it factual buyers of Rolex must get on a waiting list, own other types of jewelry, etc?
    I thought all you needed was the long green?

Ever spend any time on the Higgins Boat? Maybe as a Higgs Driver or Bosun?

X Traindriver Art

Fortson: Having a good spring on East side o the Trinity?

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    I agree with your first point, and I think that's where the underwhelming feeling comes in. This watch has remained nearly unchanged for decades, but the price has steadily gone up. Compared to a Seamaster Divers 300m for about the same price, the speedy feels old fashioned and less well made.

Your second point is not limited to the speedy, all mechanical watches have the same issue of needing a costly service every 5-10 years. Just the reality of this hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Admittedly, this is true, all mechanical watches do require service from time to time. However, the cost of that service varies tremendously.

So you can buy a "fine Swiss watch" such as a Speedy, and send it in for service every 7-10 years.

Or, you can buy an Orient (or Seiko, or Citizen, or Vostok etc) and enjoy wearing it for 10 or even 20 years, and if need be, replace the entire movement and often the entire watch for less than the cost of ONE Omega service.

So, it comes down to NOT really being a question of whether someone can afford the service, which might average out to $100-200 per year over the life of the watch. Not exactly cheap, but within reach for almost anyone who can afford a Speedy in the first place.

The question is actually more like "Which makes more economic sense?"
    ohhenry1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron521 View Post
    Based on your logic, you should really just buy one Casio from Walmart and be done with it - cheapest to buy, cheapest to run. Even buying Orient makes no economic sense. This is a hobby.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ron521 View Post
    Admittedly, this is true, all mechanical watches do require service from time to time. However, the cost of that service varies tremendously.

So you can buy a "fine Swiss watch" such as a Speedy, and send it in for service every 7-10 years.

Or, you can buy an Orient (or Seiko, or Citizen, or Vostok etc) and enjoy wearing it for 10 or even 20 years, and if need be, replace the entire movement and often the entire watch for less than the cost of ONE Omega service.

So, it comes down to NOT really being a question of whether someone can afford the service, which might average out to $100-200 per year over the life of the watch. Not exactly cheap, but within reach for almost anyone who can afford a Speedy in the first place.

In contrast to modern movements, the movement of Speedmaster Pro can be serviced by any qualified watchmaker and not obliged to go to Omega SC. It will be cheaper.
    BufordTJustice and Fantasio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arogle1stus View Post
    HiggsBosun:
    But is it factual buyers of Rolex must get on a waiting list, own other types of jewelry, etc?

X Traindriver Art

Hey, Art.
    It does appear that if you want a SS sports Rolex you do seem to be put on some sort of 'waiting list'.
    Now, the actual time needed to be on this 'list' may vary from country to country.
    Some dealers have (according to what has been said on this forum) told potential customers that they must have spent 'X' amount previously to 'qualify' just to get on the 'list'.
    Downright disgusting, if you ask me.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

I've loved the look in pictures since I was a kid but in the flesh, so to speak, it is prettier and has much more depth than is usually captured in photos. It is a classical beauty.

Underwhelming as it isn’t that fancy but a fantastic watch that takes anything you throw at it and with your strap making skills it will be a joy to own one.
    At first I thought it was borderline boring , saw one in the store and it was history

rfortson and doggbiter like this.

I would recommend trying a different flavor of Speedmaster if one version doesn't spark magic. Personally I'm not all that enamored with the class Moon watch.

Take a gander at racing editions, or moonphase. Something will catch your eye.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    Hey, Art.
    It does appear that if you want a SS sports Rolex you do seem to be put on some sort of 'waiting list'.
    Now, the actual time needed to be on this 'list' may vary from country to country.
    Some dealers have (according to what has been said on this forum) told potential customers that they must have spent 'X' amount previously to 'qualify' just to get on the 'list'.
    Downright disgusting, if you ask me.
    Agree with the disgusting sentiment ..... I’ve tried at several Rolex AD’s to get on the list for the Daytona Cosmograph and also last year’s GMT with jubilee bracelet. No joy. Apparently money means nothing when you don’t know the secret handshake. No Rolex in my future, I guess.

I’ve said it before in this thread, the Speedmaster did not disappoint me. I had to wait a long time before I was able to purchase one and my first one, the 3570.50 Professional will be the last watch to leave my collection. And again, not enough photos in this thread, so I'll show a few more:

Name:  DSC_2798.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  4.26 MB
    Name:  DSC_1986.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  965.5 KB
    Last edited by MHe225; April 8th, 2019 at 05:16. Reason: added photos
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by arogle1stus View Post
    HiggsBosun:

X Traindriver Art

Yes this is true

You need to be in a waiting list to get any of the sport models(Subs, explorers, GMT, DJ OP etc) Some folks get lucky and can buy them by showing up at a Rolex dealer but most wind up on the list to wait for one. Rolex founder Hans Wilsdrof must be spinning in his grave as his mantra was that anybody that anybody that had the money to buy one could get one (no @#$# waiting lists)

If you want a Rolex quickly, buy used from the forum or buy new from a gray market seller. There is no reason to wait 10 years for the "right" to buy one. Plus Rolex will willingly do the 5 or 10 year service on them as long as you pay just like everybody else. There is no reason to get one from a AD (and beg to be allowed to buy one)

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information