Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 13
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishX View Post
    My biggest problem with the speedmaster is its lack of any real WR. Me personally I wouldnt snorkel with one, That being said If I could score a reduced for a good price I would grab it for what it is. Simple and classic but sometimes I dont want plain. Hence me having a collection.
    Of course not. That’s why it’s not called a Seamaster.
    PolishX and gyang333 like this.

Of my top 5 "holy grail" watches, the Speedmaster is on my list twice. Once for a standard hesalite crystal Professional, and the other for a Silver Snoopy.

Actually, if I could just have two watches and no others, those two would be it.

The fact that it's still being used in space to this day, is what makes it so cool.

Forget the limited editions. There is only one. Speedy Pro in hesalite.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahq...7700630905921/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it might be underwhelming for someone who pays the full MSRP + tax, which would just about be $ 6,000. It’s a great watch but it certainly isn’t worth that kind of money, not for a new one anyway. However, if you buy one from a reputable grey dealer or a like new second-hand version and spend around $3,500, it’s hard to see how it can underwhelm if you know something about its history and movement.

I wanted to add a Speedy (FOIS) to my collection but after seeing it ... it did not really do it for me. I do like classic watches with a little more style to them. Case in point, the most utilitarian watch there is (Rolex Sub no Date) maintains its heritage and design but is updated with ceramic, deep black face, stunning edges on the bezel, etc. to appeal to my sense of style. If the current Sub was dull looking, I wouldn’t have purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the Speedmaster Professsional was an good looking watch from the pictures, maybe a little underwhelming. But after experiencing it in person, I was sold! Seeing it first hand, it really is an impressive watch. The hesalite crystal has an effect that makes the dial seem to pop out, giving the illusion of being closer than it is. Then the edges of the dial look like they taper off downward, again an optical illusion. The dome shape itself of the hesalite is pretty unique. I love looking at it from all sides! Also, the bezel reflects light like a mirror at the right angle which is unexpected and adds a touch of class. It matches the polished edges of the case and push buttons. The contrasting brushed areas on the case are a nice touch too. As you can tell I really like it and appreciate all the features! Oh, it tells time too :P
    Paulsky, LB Carl, fish70 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
    I wanted to add a Speedy (FOIS) to my collection but after seeing it ... it did not really do it for me. I do like classic watches with a little more style to them. Case in point, the most utilitarian watch there is (Rolex Sub no Date) maintains its heritage and design but is updated with ceramic, deep black face, stunning edges on the bezel, etc. to appeal to my sense of style. If the current Sub was dull looking, I wouldn’t have purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Rolex ruined the perfect proportions of the five digit Sub by fattening the lugs and the crown guards. I know they’re still selling like hot cakes but Rolex went and did something that Omega has chosen not to do with the Speedy. The maxi dial, harking back to the 5513, in the old style case would have been the ideal Sub. The only bad move Omega has done with the Speedmaster is put it on a modernized, slightly blingy, and to my mind ugly bracelet.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by EZM1 View Post
    The fact that it's still being used in space to this day, is what makes it so cool.

For me I got into watches because I like everything space exploration related. The speedmaster pro is the one piece of astronaut gear that a) I can afford and b) I can use everyday. My interest in mechanical watches go from there. So I think I will have my speedy forever :)
    BarracksSi and G-times like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EZM1 View Post

For me I got into watches because I like everything space exploration related. The speedmaster pro is the one piece of astronaut gear that a) I can afford and b) I can use everyday. My interest in mechanical watches go from there. So I think I will have my speedy forever :)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information