Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 14
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    I really like that too. If Nasa said "Drop everything... we need you in space", the speedy pro would be the one thing from home you could take with you. It's already got the space flight seal of approval, pretty incredible!
    BarracksSi likes this.

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
    I wanted to add a Speedy (FOIS) to my collection but after seeing it ... it did not really do it for me. I do like classic watches with a little more style to them. Case in point, the most utilitarian watch there is (Rolex Sub no Date) maintains its heritage and design but is updated with ceramic, deep black face, stunning edges on the bezel, etc. to appeal to my sense of style. If the current Sub was dull looking, I wouldn’t have purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Speedmaster Professional is essentially a vintage watch that has been in continuous production, so of course it doesn't impress like a modern sub does with its up to date technology and finish. If you are looking for a modern interpretation of a classic, a Speedmaster 9300/9900, especially the ceramic cased version, would be a better alternative. Just like the 6 digit sub, it is a modern interpretation of a classic design.
    Dougiebaby and Paulsky like this.

Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    The Speedmaster Professional is essentially a vintage watch that has been in continuous production, so of course it doesn't impress like a modern sub does with its up to date technology and finish. If you are looking for a modern interpretation of a classic, a Speedmaster 9300/9900, especially the ceramic cased version, would be a better alternative. Just like the 6 digit sub, it is a modern interpretation of a classic design.
    I agree, the Speedy that most appeals to me is the Grey Side of the Moon (even thought it is a little too large for my liking).

BufordTJustice likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsky View Post
    I think Rolex ruined the perfect proportions of the five digit Sub by fattening the lugs and the crown guards. I know they’re still selling like hot cakes but Rolex went and did something that Omega has chosen not to do with the Speedy. The maxi dial, harking back to the 5513, in the old style case would have been the ideal Sub. The only bad move Omega has done with the Speedmaster is put it on a modernized, slightly blingy, and to my mind ugly bracelet.

Obviously, looks are subjective but I believe the maxi dial & supercase made the Rolex Sub/GMTII/et al more attractive ........ and the market seems to agree.

Seaswirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-times View Post
    I thought the Speedmaster Professsional was an good looking watch from the pictures, maybe a little underwhelming. But after experiencing it in person, I was sold! Seeing it first hand, it really is an impressive watch. The hesalite crystal has an effect that makes the dial seem to pop out, giving the illusion of being closer than it is. Then the edges of the dial look like they taper off downward, again an optical illusion. The dome shape itself of the hesalite is pretty unique. I love looking at it from all sides! Also, the bezel reflects light like a mirror at the right angle which is unexpected and adds a touch of class. It matches the polished edges of the case and push buttons. The contrasting brushed areas on the case are a nice touch too. As you can tell I really like it and appreciate all the features! Oh, it tells time too :P
    This! I just took delivery of mine two days ago and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. To me, there may not be one single particular thing about it that completely blows you away, but when you put it all together the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. My wife, who isn't a a watch enthusiast really likes it, more so than she has liked most of my watches and when I asked her why, she said she wasn't sure. She said it just has "it".
    G-times and BufordTJustice like this.

I think the thing about the Speedmaster Professional is you have to find the right model for you. Is it a modern, brand spankin' new speedy? Is it one of the limited editions? Let's go back in time to moon watch 69, then go to AML, then striaght lug, then leaf hand...if one doesn't do it for you move on to the next and check it out.
    G-times likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LB Carl View Post
    This! I just took delivery of mine two days ago and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. To me, there may not be one single particular thing about it that completely blows you away, but when you put it all together the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. My wife, who isn't a a watch enthusiast really likes it, more so than she has liked most of my watches and when I asked her why, she said she wasn't sure. She said it just has "it".
    Congrats on the speedy! I agree, that's a good way to put it. When you add it all up you can't help but love it!

I think Rolex ruined the perfect proportions of the five digit Sub by fattening the lugs and the crown guards. I know they’re still selling like hot cakes but Rolex went and did something that Omega has chosen not to do with the Speedy. The maxi dial, harking back to the 5513, in the old style case would have been the ideal Sub. The only bad move Omega has done with the Speedmaster is put it on a modernized, slightly blingy, and to my mind ugly bracelet.
    To me, it's the endless release of so called 'limited editions'.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

I really appreciate the Speedmaster Pro, but I got rid of mine because it does seem underwhelming. If they would add applied indices or something maybe it would appear a little more like the luxury watch that it is, but in reality it IS a tool watch with an immense amount of history that SHOULD be left unchanged because of this. I also think that because they haven't changed the appearance of the watch, it makes it that much more desirable to collectors. Rolex's success is built around this model and its proven a success.
    BarracksSi and BufordTJustice like this.

The only bad move Omega has done with the Speedmaster is put it on a modernized, slightly blingy, and to my mind ugly bracelet.
    This.
    BufordTJustice likes this.
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\cam2001\SM-9-5-10.jpg

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information