WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

18K views 145 replies 93 participants last post by  LB Carl 
#1 ·
Forgive my ignorance. I am yet to see a Speedmaster in person, but have always been drawn to its utilitarian appearance and, of course, the Speedmaster history. Before I seek out a Speedy to get my hands on in person I would like to ask something that I get the impression of based off reviews I've read and the sheer number of used Speedmasters available for sale. In the world of buyer's remorse, are Speedmasters over represented?

#44 ·
I have owned multiple different variations of the speedy and I found them underwhelming personally. Great watch, solid build and movement, historical significance, but every morning when I went to grab a watch I never grabbed it simply because it didn't catch my eye at all compared to other watches in my collection. That is just my personal preference as aesthetics are a very personal thing.

I didn't care about manual winding as none of my watches are on winders so they all need to be wound before wearing, but the aesthetics just did nothing for me. Might one one of the modern variations like a dark side in the future but never the traditional one again.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#46 ·
I like my Speedy just fine and don’t think I’d flip it, but some of the defensiveness over this watch is just silly. One doesn’t deserve owning a Speedy if they don’t enjoy winding the itsy bitsy little crown? The Speedy is a like a Leica or Morgan? Dear lord. It’s a good watch with a lasting design at a price point accessible to far more enthusiasts than other “iconic” watches which is why we see so many of them popping up for sale.

#47 · (Edited)
I like my Speedy just fine and don't think I'd flip it, but some of the defensiveness over this watch is just silly. One doesn't deserve owning a Speedy if they don't enjoy winding the itsy bitsy little crown? The Speedy is a like a Leica or Morgan? Dear lord.
Tongue in cheek - nothing to worry about. Having said that it does actually have something in common. The uninterrupted continual production and the "awkwardness " of having to wind manually sort of resembles the manual use of a Leica rather than auto everything. The intention was to find an analogy.

#52 ·
I had one for two years and then sold it upon its return from service. While it was away, I started window shopping, and I picked up a Rolex Exp II. I’ve missed it for the last 3 years, and am looking to pick one up again shortly. To me, on the bracelet it is a stunning watch with a beautiful mix of polished and brushed parts. Maybe it’s not as accurate as some others out there, but none of them are, and I usually am resetting time every couple of weeks no matter them mechanical watch I’m wearing. The Speedmaster Pro is the one that made me fall in love with mechanical watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#57 · (Edited)
Not for me ......

I've wanted a Speedmaster for ca 30 years and got mine 19 years ago (almost to the day) when we moved from The Netherlands to the Houston area, using the proceeds from the sale of my Opel Omega car (known in the US as Cadillac Catera). The Speedmaster did not disappoint and it is a watch that will always be with me. I don't care about monetary value, depreciation or appreciation, as it will never leave me.

There are not enough photos in this thread, so .....

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#61 ·
Lots of good points brought up here. I first got into watches over a decade ago, and I was enamored with divers, especially Rolex divers, and Speedmasters were nice, but not really my thing. About 7 years ago, things clicked for me, mainly down to the Space program connection, and I bought what I thought was the perfect modern Speedmaster for me, a 3592.50 (I was also semi-hunting for a 145.012, but never really got serious with that quest, and I regret that greatly now). Well, I really didn't bond with that watch, and moved it on within a couple of years.

I came to realize that while the Speedmaster is an overall simple design, and while that's one of its greatest strengths, a few details make all the difference for me. I love the applied metal logo, stepped dials, and more than anything, the beveled/stepped subdials, all things the modern Speedmaster Professional no longer has. I also realized that while I like tritium patina in general, I don't love the way most tritium Speedmaster dials and hands age (although I would be more than fine with a 105.012, 145.012, 105.003, etc. on my wrist).

So for me, the modern Speedmaster Professinal is kind of boring (although still very cool). I crave a little extra in my Speedmasters, and now have three modern Speedmasters which I adore (but none are the standard Speedmaster Professional).

#63 ·
I like the Seamaster collection better than the Speedmaster. I've owned a PO XL chrono, a 44mm 300M chrono, and I currently own a 300M GMT chrono. I've never liked a Speedy enough to buy one, but if I were to purchase one, it would be a Speedy 57 or a Mark II. The Pros, Moons, FOIS, etc. don't do anything at all for me. Just a personal preference.:)

#67 ·
Once I saw a Speedie Pro it smacked me in the face why it's such a big deal. It's not underwhelming in the least. The design is so simple yet says so much and I believe that is a very hard thing to pull off, stylistically. You can see why Omega made the same watch for 50 years as once they dropped the arrow hands they nailed it and didn't have to change a thing.

The point sinks in more after seeing as many a modern luxury watch as I have. Even after seeing a few Transatlantiques and Daytonas the point sinks in more just how great the Speedie Pro is.

#68 ·
Let me put it this way, its rarely you will find a watch model that will speak out to watch enthusiasts, regular jow, or someone who just wants to have a watch for the sake of having a watch; speedmaster speaks to everyone.

Also, its very divers in terms of dressing up or down. You can wear it on the bracelet, leather strap, funky colors, nato, whatever your preference, it will look great.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Reactions: Mr Fjeld
#71 ·
It can come across as underwhelming if you are used to or are comparing it to modern watches in its price range. Modern watches with ceramics, sapphire, applied metal indicies and COSC certified automatic movements make the Speedy positively ancient in comparison. This is further accentuated by its manual wind and lack of seconds hacking.

However, in my experience, the modern watches might have the lustre in the showroom, the sheen wears off over time, and they seem too clinical and seemingly made from the same mould. Whereas the Speedy is like a vintage classic car that you can still buy brand new 50 years since it's initial production. It has its quirks and deficiencies, but it doesn't get boring, and continues to hold its charm. Objectively it doesn't compare to other watches in the same price range, but subjectively, I find it truly endearing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#73 ·
I've tried them on in ADs and boutiques, both the "classic" and modern iterations. Oddly enough, my favourite was a black dialed number from the 38mm range. I get the affection many have for it, but it just appears to be (in the basic/classic form) a boring 3 register chrono. I recently tried on a Bulova Moonwatch reissue, and it does everything the Moonwatch does, but (imho) better and for around 10% of the cost. I don't think I'll be buying a chronograph in the near future, but if I did, I know where my money will be going.

To those who are Speedy lovers, good on you, just don't try and tell me rubbish like "every serious watch collector must own one" or other hyperbolic guff. Chacun à son goût

#76 ·
I recently posted the following on someone's "Should I save up for my grail or buy something nice now?" thread, and it's aptly appropriate here:

"I can give some insight to the flipside of this coin--I've always been a watch aficionado. There's a 'Top 5' list i've had in my head for a decade, but the pinnacle of my list was always a SS Rolex Daytona with the black face, and number two was a Rolex Submariner Date. Because I was able to find a fantastic deal on a brand new Omega Speedmaster Professional (number 3 on my list) with the presentation box, I decided to go ahead instead of saving up for the Sub or Daytona. While I love my Speedy Pro and had always intended to own (and keep!) one, I feel it was purchased out of order and it never quite scratched the itch for me.

Granted, second-hand Subs are still $6k+ and even second-hand two-tone Daytonas are $9k+ (so, double-to-triple the price). But I almost wish I'd waited, despite the fact that my income-stream will likely be much higher over the next couple of years.

I'll keep the speedy--likely forever. But there's something to be said about owning your grail watch if you want it for the right reasons and it's not a fleeting wish."

#77 ·
I have a couple of Speedmasters. A mid 90's version with exhibition back and tritium dial and also a 57 replica version with the broad arrow hands. I love them both but the Speedy Pro is by far my favorite. I wear it every day at some point.
I bought them both second hand in great condition and they have both gone up in value since I bought them, no buyer remorse there.
If you look at this same forum there is a thread that was started in 2010 and is now out to 478 pages long. It's almost a book you could publish. It's called the Official Speedmaster Club thread.
I think this thread alone says most about the shear love and appreciation of this iconic watch. I'm old enough to have watched the first steps taken on the moon in real time. I came home from School to watch it beamed live into our living room as Armstrong took those steps. So for me that is a part of my love of the Speedy but I wouldn't own it if it wasn't the watch that it is.

#78 ·
While at the Omega shop in Manhattan this past Sunday (I had to drop off my father's Seamaster for service) I took the time to try on the original Speedy. Let me tell you... even though it's so unassuming, it's gorgeous. It's the ultimate tool watch for chronos. It's simple movement is perfect for such a piece. I will most definitely invest in one in the future. It's such a classic.

#82 ·
When I first put a speedy on my wrist I have to admit at being a little disappointed but it was the size for me that was a problem. I was used to wearing large watches 45mm and up to 49mm. I used to run the old Friends of Oris forum so they were all big clunky Divers and chronos. I had always wanted a speedy so I went ahead and bought it anyway. I forced myself to wear it and no longer think of it as a small watch. The funny thing is that the Oris watches were all big attention grabbing time pieces but I never got a single compliment about them. The speedy is the only watch that I own that people comment on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.