Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 3
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

I actually had the opposite experience. When I first went and tried on the Speedmaster at an AD I felt a little underwhelmed. It looked a bit small, felt a bit light, and didn't look all that great under the bright artificial lights of the store. Luckily after a few more months I bought one anyway, and the actual wearing experience has been nothing short of amazing. It looks SO good in natural light and other various lighting conditions. The size is great now that I have the bracelet sized right and it's wearing naturally on the wrist. And the weight is great...makes a very comfortable watch for me.

As for the hand winding, I'll admit it's not the easiest to access the crown. For me, it's more the overhanging bezel that's the issue...not the crown guards. But the crown is so smooth and easy to turn it's not been an issue at all, and I love giving the watch "life" each morning when I wind it up.
    Paulsky and the.hatter like this.

For time keeping and chrono function the speedy pro is a great watch and does those things very well. Most of us who own one really enjoy those things, the manual wind and the lack of ‘bling’. The history is an added bonus.

Maybe, and itís definitely the only chronograph I would ever consider owning. Thereís something special about it, and you either vibe with it or you donít.

Just one manís opinion but Iíve owned 7 rolexes in the past few years (among a lot of other watches) and without hesitation if forced to pick my favorite single watch it is easily the speedmaster.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fjeld View Post
    If one becomes tired of winding the watch then one probably doesn't deserve the Speedmaster. It's not a huge effort.
    Besides it's on of the most beautiful and simple looking chronographs ever made - just like an instrument should be; reduced to its bare essentials. Apart from the twisted lugs it's almost Bauhaus inspired in its appearance.
    Less is more but for those who prefer the bells and whistles it's perhaps too austere in its elegant black and white dial :)
    I certainly miss mine which is being serviced - and its a keeper!
    Well said. Itís truly one of the most iconic watches out there. Any mechanical watch collector should have one. Its design has hardly changed in 50 years.
    BufordTJustice and Mr Fjeld like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    I'd consider the Speedy a classic, unpretentious watch. Sure, the relentless release of the so called 'limited editions' gets rather tiresome.
    The Speedy is what I'd, (rightly or wrongly) consider a cool watch, worn by the stylish/cool people 'in the know'.
    If I see someone wearing a Speedy, I usually think of them as watch aficionados, the type who also appreciate the historic aspect of the watch.
    Maybe I could sum it up as the 'thinking Man's watch' and not just a watch that's worn because his friends at the Golf club wear one.
    ++1
    BufordTJustice and HiggsBoson like this.
    " Two mighty torches of flame like the wings of a yellow bird of fire flew over a field, covered a field with a brilliant yellow bloomings of flame, and in the midst of it, white as a ghost, white as the white of Melville's Moby Dick, white as the shrine of the Madonna in half the churches of the world, this slim angelic mysterious ship of stages rose without sound out of its incarnantion of flame and began to ascend slowly into the sky, slow as Melville's Leviathan might swim, slowly as we might swim upward in a dream looking for the air............."

Norman Mailer describing the lift-off of Apollo 11.

It used to be to me. But as I've grown my tastes as a collector and tend to gravitate towards more versatile pieces I am more drawn to them now . May end up with a speedy at some point.
    BufordTJustice likes this.
    Current collection: Zenith El Primero,Omega Seamaster 300 smpc, Sinn 104, Doxa sub 300t professional 2002 reissue, Seiko Sarb 035, Seiko Orange Monster, Orient Yellow Mako, Boldr Venture, Seiko SKX 007J,Seiko SBDC055 PADI , Hamilton Khaki King, Casio Duro. Wish list : Doxa Sub1200t professional, Longines Heritage Diver, Breitling Superocean Heritage 2, Blancpain fifty fathoms, Rolex explorer I

I'd agree that the Speedy Pro is indeed a touch underwhelming, especially compared to modern 'maxi' dial options like current Rolex/Omega, etc offerings with gorgeous dial work and complex brushing on the case/bracelet.

But... that's sort of the whole point of the Speedy Pro. It wasn't intended to be an attention-getter, or a showpiece, or a conversation-starter. It's as close to a pure tool watch as you'll find, despite the current price tag.

To my way of thinking, the beauty of the Speedy Pro is that it's so basic, so pragmatic, so heavily optimized for a single task. If you're going to like it, you'll like it for those functional qualities, and find the aesthetics in how well it's suited the task it's built for.
    Quartersawn and rfortson like this.

I love my speedy. I didn't go for the Pro because I liked the details on the earlier versions more, and I wanted it a bit smaller for my 6 3/4" wrist. I bought the FOIS model and love it. Definitely a lifetime purchase.

Mr Fjeld and TheWhiteRabbit like this.

Yes, and that includes me. It does nothing for me. Every time I check one out at my AD, I’m left feeling totally underwhelmed.

In part the plethora of available preowned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse. Fanboys will of course deny this.
    Last edited by T1meout; January 19th, 2019 at 10:53.

Ignore.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information