Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 4
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 146
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    416

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Quote Originally Posted by the.hatter View Post
    I feel like itís under reported that the crown guards on the Professional model make hand winding a chore.

    I donít dislike the ritual on my other hand wound watches where the crown is more accessible.

    Itís not terrible enough to make me regret the purchase though. Iím still very happy with mine.
    I agree with this. Thatís why I prefer the FOIS.

  2. #32
    Member HiggsBoson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,483

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Yes, and that includes me. It does nothing for me. Every time I check one out at my AD, Iím left feeling totally underwhelmed.

    In part the plethora of available preowned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse. Fanboys will of course deny this.
    Or maybe these 'fanboys' just have a different opinion to you?
    You have no evidence to support your supposition that, 'the plethora of available pre-owned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse'.
    Quartersawn, anaplian and rfortson like this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

    Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

    Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

  3. #33
    Member Ignaciob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Tri-Cities, WA
    Posts
    129

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Blingy? No.

    Underwhelming? Definitely not.

    A solid, iconic, mechanical work of art with supremely interesting provenance is on your wrist.
    Omega Speedmaster Pro (cs:1863)
    Tudor Pelagos Blue (cs:MT5612)
    Orient Saturation Diver (Red)
    Girard Perregaux Gyromatic Chronometer (vintage)
    Weiss Limited Issue Field "Los Angeles, CA" (cs:UNINTAS 6497-1)
    Seiko Shogun SBDC029, Kinetic SUN023, SKX009 (modded)


  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    242

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    I originally sold my 2254 Seamaster Professional to buy a Speedmaster Professional. On arrival I was underwhelmed by the Speedmaster and had instant regreat. The Speedmaster did quickly grow on me and I bought another Seamaster too.

  6. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,315

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    Or maybe these 'fanboys' just have a different opinion to you?
    You have no evidence to support your supposition that, 'the plethora of available pre-owned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse'.
    You must have overlooked the “In part” bit of my statement. Watchfora are full of watches from all kinds of brands that are for sale because their owners either became disenchanted with them, or they needed/ prefer to free up cash rather than hang on to them. People don’t tend to part with the things they are enamored with, unless they’ve fallen out of love, or are in need of cash. All other explanations are just sugarcoated fluff. The fact that speedmasters represent a huge chuck of those watches is a testimony to this.

    In addition, depending on how long they kept their watch, flippers that bought their speedmasters at msrp are most likely to be struck with buyers remorse once they become aware of the severity of their negative return on investment.
    Last edited by T1meout; January 19th, 2019 at 13:11.

  7. #36
    Member bigclive2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,478

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    I love the look of the Speedy in all the pics I see on here, and over the years have owned 2, my favourite being the original manual wind plexi.

    But ultimately they are just not for me, itís just not got that special ness that I find with my Subby, or my Pam Zero.

    Thatís the beauty of our hobby there are watches for all, but also a good pointer for newbies, the watch that everyone on WUS loves is not necessarily the watch you personally will love.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

    "One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.



  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Malfunction Junction Ft Worth Tx
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    panzerr:
    I luv me some Speedies. Not a well kept secret.
    "Jus because you luv something, doesn't mean it has to
    luv you back". Private Prewitt in the film "Here to Eternity!.
    Referring to 1940's US Army.

    X Traindriver Art
    rfortson likes this.

  9. #38
    Member HiggsBoson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,483

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    You must have overlooked the ďIn partĒ bit of my statement. Watchfora are full of watches from all kinds of brands that are for sale because their owners either became disenchanted with them, or they needed/ wanted to free up cash rather than hang on to them. People donít tend to part with the things they are enamored with, unless theyíve fallen out of love, or are in need of cash. All other explanations are just sugarcoated fluff. The fact that speedmasters represent a huge chuck of those watches is a testimony to this.
    'the plethora' meaning a large or excessive amount of something. You have no way of knowing that 'the large or excessive amount of Speedmasters available pre-owned can, most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse'.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

    Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

    Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,315

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    'the plethora' meaning a large or excessive amount of something. You have no way of knowing that 'the large or excessive amount of Speedmasters available pre-owned can, most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse'.
    Re. the additional statement to my 35th post. Whether an individual develops buyers remorse depends on their personal wealth, their personal sense of monetary value, and their ability to incur losses. Discounting vintage pieces, how many modern speedmasters have been produced? What percentage of those speedmasters are currently on offer for sale or have been resold, that were originally bought at msrp? Adjust for wealthy individuals and/ or those with a compromised sense of value. Now define large......See my point.
    Last edited by T1meout; January 19th, 2019 at 13:52.

  11. #40
    Member Mr Fjeld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore Zoo
    Posts
    782

    Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

    Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Re. the additional statement to my 35th post. Whether an individual develops buyers remorse depends on their personal wealth, their personal sense of monetary value, and their ability to incur losses. Discounting vintage pieces, how many modern speedmasters have been produced? What percentage of those speedmasters are currently on offer for sale or have been resold, that were originally bought at msrp? Adjust for wealthy individuals and/ or those with a compromised sense of value. Now define large......See my point.
    No, your point isn't logic - only your own assumption as you have no way of knowing or estimating which percent of the total production of Speedmaster is currently for sale. Who knows, the numbers would possibly prove you wrong?
    Yes, there are numerous Speedmasters for sale, however, it's also one of the watches with the longest continual production run. I bet there are many many more who still keep their Speedmasters - and are totally oblivious to watch fora and the tendency to fall in love with the next watch .... or conspicious consumption.
    Last edited by Mr Fjeld; January 19th, 2019 at 14:08. Reason: Usual typos
    Omega Speedmaster Professional / 3570.50.00
    Tissot Visodate 1957 Heritage
    Tissot T-Touch Expert
    Tissot T-Touch Trekker
    Seiko SHC063/Sawtooth
    Seiko SJW041P1
    IWC Pocket watch Calibre 57

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Straps for the Speedmaster Professional
      By jmsrolls in forum Images
      Replies: 506
      Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 01:22
    2. Replies: 11
      Last Post: January 23rd, 2019, 09:54
    3. Replies: 103
      Last Post: August 27th, 2008, 04:58
    4. Picture for the Speedmaster fans >>>
      By WIS_Chronomaster in forum Omega
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: March 28th, 2008, 07:23
    5. New fantastic strap for the Speedmaster!
      By Schirra in forum Omega
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: April 3rd, 2007, 20:45

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts