WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

18K views 145 replies 93 participants last post by  LB Carl 
#1 ·
Forgive my ignorance. I am yet to see a Speedmaster in person, but have always been drawn to its utilitarian appearance and, of course, the Speedmaster history. Before I seek out a Speedy to get my hands on in person I would like to ask something that I get the impression of based off reviews I've read and the sheer number of used Speedmasters available for sale. In the world of buyer's remorse, are Speedmasters over represented?

#136 ·
I think the thing about the Speedmaster Professional is you have to find the right model for you. Is it a modern, brand spankin' new speedy? Is it one of the limited editions? Let's go back in time to moon watch 69, then go to AML, then striaght lug, then leaf hand...if one doesn't do it for you move on to the next and check it out.

#139 ·
I really appreciate the Speedmaster Pro, but I got rid of mine because it does seem underwhelming. If they would add applied indices or something maybe it would appear a little more like the luxury watch that it is, but in reality it IS a tool watch with an immense amount of history that SHOULD be left unchanged because of this. I also think that because they haven't changed the appearance of the watch, it makes it that much more desirable to collectors. Rolex's success is built around this model and its proven a success.

#144 · (Edited)
There will always be those who want it for its iconic and historical significance. My read on it is its more about what it evokes in you than what it actual is itself. It resonates or it doesn't. I'm happy to look at pictures of it and I bought a 31 foot trailer instead. YMMV.

#145 ·
I've owned way too many Speedmasters over the years and I always go back and forth between loving them and being underwhelmed. I think I ultimately go back to feeling like they're too plain on my wrist, though I always love seeing them in pictures.

The lack of hacking, water resistance, and "meh" accuracy might also subconsciously play into it.

Reactions: jakesky
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.