Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 5
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Re. the additional statement to my 35th post. Whether an individual develops buyers remorse depends on their personal wealth, their personal sense of monetary value, and their ability to incur losses. Discounting vintage pieces, how many modern speedmasters have been produced? What percentage of those speedmasters are currently on offer for sale or have been resold, that were originally bought at msrp? Adjust for wealthy individuals and/ or those with a compromised sense of value. Now define large......See my point.
    No, far too speculative.
    Mr Fjeld and Buschyfor3 like this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fjeld View Post
    No, your point isn't logic - only your own assumption as you have no way of knowing or estimating which percent of the total production of Speedmaster is currently for sale. Who knows, the numbers would possibly prove you wrong?
    Yes, there are numerous Speedmasters for sale, however, it's also one of the watches with the longest continual production run. I bet there are many many more who still keep their Speedmasters - and are totally oblivious to watch fora and the tendency to fall in love with the next watch .... or conspicious consumption.
    Which percent of the total production of Speedmaster is currently for sale is irrelevant to the discussion. What is relevant is the ratio of speedmasters bought at msrp which are for sale and/ or have sold at a loss relative to the total number of speedmasters which are for sale and/ or have sold. And although I can’t prove it, I bet that number its substantial i.e. large. Obviously the Speedmaster isn’t underwhelming to keepers, but rather to a large portion of flippers, it is, as is with any other popular watch with mediocre value retention from any other brand.
    Last edited by T1meout; January 19th, 2019 at 14:39.
    Mr Fjeld likes this.

Awesome, enjoy in good health.

N

Quote Originally Posted by The Rook View Post
    This exactly.

I live in Montana where I'm 9 hours from a dealer, so I had never seen one in person. I was dismissive of the Speedy Pro based on web photos, but was really drawn to the 9300 Moon Phase blue dial. A few months ago I happen to have some extra time while traveling through GA, and visited a store with a huge selection of Omegas. After handling both models, I was so drawn to the Speedy Pro Hes that it completely changed my mindset on watches. I no longer cared that the Professional had 1) "crappy" water resistance 2) acrylic crystal 3) "antiquated" movement 4) non-applied indices 5) any other complaint commonly heard about the Speed Pro.

I just received my new Speedmaster on Wednesday, and I couldn't be happier. It truly is a beautiful, functional timepiece

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have owned multiple different variations of the speedy and I found them underwhelming personally. Great watch, solid build and movement, historical significance, but every morning when I went to grab a watch I never grabbed it simply because it didn't catch my eye at all compared to other watches in my collection. That is just my personal preference as aesthetics are a very personal thing.

I didn't care about manual winding as none of my watches are on winders so they all need to be wound before wearing, but the aesthetics just did nothing for me. Might one one of the modern variations like a dark side in the future but never the traditional one again.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

....... as is with any other popular watch from any other brand.
    Indeed :)

I can accept that not everyone bond with Speedmaster

(......and that they are ultimately wrong )
    Omega Speedmaster Professional / 3570.50.00
    Tissot Visodate 1957 Heritage
    Tissot T-Touch Expert
    Tissot T-Touch Trekker
    Seiko SHC063/Sawtooth
    Seiko SJW041P1
    IWC Pocket watch Calibre 57

I like my Speedy just fine and don’t think I’d flip it, but some of the defensiveness over this watch is just silly. One doesn’t deserve owning a Speedy if they don’t enjoy winding the itsy bitsy little crown? The Speedy is a like a Leica or Morgan? Dear lord. It’s a good watch with a lasting design at a price point accessible to far more enthusiasts than other “iconic” watches which is why we see so many of them popping up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    I like my Speedy just fine and don’t think I’d flip it, but some of the defensiveness over this watch is just silly. One doesn’t deserve owning a Speedy if they don’t enjoy winding the itsy bitsy little crown? The Speedy is a like a Leica or Morgan? Dear lord.
    Tongue in cheek - nothing to worry about. Having said that it does actually have something in common. The uninterrupted continual production and the "awkwardness " of having to wind manually sort of resembles the manual use of a Leica rather than auto everything. The intention was to find an analogy.
    Last edited by Mr Fjeld; January 19th, 2019 at 17:24.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional / 3570.50.00
    Tissot Visodate 1957 Heritage
    Tissot T-Touch Expert
    Tissot T-Touch Trekker
    Seiko SHC063/Sawtooth
    Seiko SJW041P1
    IWC Pocket watch Calibre 57

I love my Speedy Pro. However the bracelet is a bit clanky for me. Certainly not as solid as my Tudor BB. And as others have stated the seemingly tiny crown for winding is a bit of a chore. Other than that its a timeless classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I love my Jeep!

I love the speedster too but if I bought one I would get the new co axial chronograph as it has a date and I could use it as a GMT if I wished. The original without a date is just a bit meh! for me.
    Off topic, but why do you love your jeep? I'm coming out of a lease and was thinking about getting a Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Which percent of the total production of Speedmaster is currently for sale is irrelevant to the discussion. What is relevant is the ratio of speedmasters bought at msrp which are for sale and/ or have sold at a loss relative to the total number of speedmasters which are for sale and/ or have sold. And although I can’t prove it, I bet that number its substantial i.e. large. Obviously the Speedmaster isn’t underwhelming to keepers, but rather to a large portion of flippers, it is, as is with any other popular watch with mediocre value retention from any other brand.
    This is a variation of another thread where you claimed that the Daytona was a much better value than the Speedmaster. I won’t reopen that discussion since you’re obviously a Daytona fanboy, but I just took a look at the amount of Daytonas available for sale on the Internet. There are tons of them, and a great deal of SS versions. I guess there’s a decent amount of buyer’s remorse there too. Same with the Submariner, based on your logic.
    But seriously, this whole hobby is predicated in part on buyer’s remorse. It takes some of us a long time before you figure out what you really like, and sometimes you have to let go and re-acquire the same watch more than once. Others figure it out right away.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information