Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 6
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/#/topics/4783519

Please refer to this topic for more answers.
    Regarding parting with the watch after ownership.

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

I had one for two years and then sold it upon its return from service. While it was away, I started window shopping, and I picked up a Rolex Exp II. I’ve missed it for the last 3 years, and am looking to pick one up again shortly. To me, on the bracelet it is a stunning watch with a beautiful mix of polished and brushed parts. Maybe it’s not as accurate as some others out there, but none of them are, and I usually am resetting time every couple of weeks no matter them mechanical watch I’m wearing. The Speedmaster Pro is the one that made me fall in love with mechanical watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mr Fjeld and Paulsky like this.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3573.50
    Rolex Explorer II 42 216570 Polar

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsky View Post
    This is a variation of another thread where you claimed that the Daytona was a much better value than the Speedmaster. I won’t reopen that discussion since you’re obviously a Daytona fanboy, but I just took a look at the amount of Daytonas available for sale on the Internet. There are tons of them, and a great deal of SS versions. I guess there’s a decent amount of buyer’s remorse there too. Same with the Submariner, based on your logic.
    But seriously, this whole hobby is predicated in part on buyer’s remorse. It takes some of us a long time before you figure out what you really like, and sometimes you have to let go and re-acquire the same watch more than once. Others figure it out right away.
    Well, stainless steel Daytonas are selling for $6k-$9k over msrp so I’d suggest the sellers’ motivation has nothing to do with buyers remorse, but making a quick and easy profit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Love mine... a perfect combo!
    You will not regret owning one!

Cheers...

Mr Fjeld, Buschyfor3 and rfortson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    Well, stainless steel Daytonas are selling for $6k-$9k over msrp so I’d suggest the sellers’ motivation has nothing to do with buyers remorse, but making a quick and easy profit.
    Clearly they can't be too enamoured with their Datonas as they are willing to sell them for profit. Do you acquire something because you really wish to get hold of it, or do you buy to invest?
    With that logic in mind you would assume that purchasing a Speedmaster is motivated because you actually like the watch, at least considering it loses value second hand.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional / 3570.50.00
    Tissot Visodate 1957 Heritage
    Tissot T-Touch Expert
    Tissot T-Touch Trekker
    Seiko SHC063/Sawtooth
    Seiko SJW041P1
    IWC Pocket watch Calibre 57

Quote Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
    You’re right about that, but as Mr Fjeld pointed out, if the whole point was to turn a quick and easy profit then you were never really into the watch to begin with.
    There are just as many Subs out there, and they’re not selling for well above MSRP. The Submariner is a very iconic watch that every WIS hopes to experience owning one day, yet so many of them wind up getting flipped. Any watch that comes with the kind of PR image and aura that the Speedmaster, the Sub or the Daytona possess is bound to leave some people underwhelmed.
    Mr Fjeld, Buschyfor3 and rfortson like this.

Not for me ......

I’ve wanted a Speedmaster for ca 30 years and got mine 19 years ago (almost to the day) when we moved from The Netherlands to the Houston area, using the proceeds from the sale of my Opel Omega car (known in the US as Cadillac Catera). The Speedmaster did not disappoint and it is a watch that will always be with me. I don’t care about monetary value, depreciation or appreciation, as it will never leave me.

There are not enough photos in this thread, so .....

Name:  DSC_2208.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  919.5 KB
    Last edited by MHe225; January 21st, 2019 at 04:38.
    Mr Fjeld, Paulsky, ferb and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsky View Post
    This is a variation of another thread where you claimed that the Daytona was a much better value than the Speedmaster. I won’t reopen that discussion since you’re obviously a Daytona fanboy, but I just took a look at the amount of Daytonas available for sale on the Internet. There are tons of them, and a great deal of SS versions. I guess there’s a decent amount of buyer’s remorse there too. Same with the Submariner, based on your logic.
    But seriously, this whole hobby is predicated in part on buyer’s remorse. It takes some of us a long time before you figure out what you really like, and sometimes you have to let go and re-acquire the same watch more than once. Others figure it out right away.
    I couldn’t agree more. Except for the Daytona fanboy part. I could care less about the Daytona. Chronographs in general do nothing for me. I find them busy and illegible. I have no stake in this discussion. Just stating the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fjeld View Post
    Clearly they can't be too enamoured with their Datonas as they are willing to sell them for profit. Do you acquire something because you really wish to get hold of it, or do you buy to invest?
    With that logic in mind you would assume that purchasing a Speedmaster is motivated because you actually like the watch, at least considering it loses value second hand.
    Not sure why the argument as I’m not disagreeing with you. No need to be defensive as I’ve already mentioned that I own and like the Speedy just fine. Nor did I agree with the OP that Speedies are getting flipped due to buyers remorse. My point was simply that Daytona’s get flipped for different reasons that the Speedy so settle down.

The Daytona is getting flipped as a pure financial transaction. People snap them up at retail even if they don’t want want and sell for an easy profit. Lame, but I can’t hardly blame anyone for making a quick $8k for doing nothing. Conversely, Speedies seems to get flipped because there’s a lot of them on the market and people move on. Not sure where’s the controversy.
    Mr Fjeld likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Yes, and that includes me. It does nothing for me. Every time I check one out at my AD, I’m left feeling totally underwhelmed.

In part the plethora of available preowned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse. Fanboys will of course deny this.
    I don't think fanboys are ignorant of what folks don't like about the Speedy. It's a vintage watch made recently. It has a ton of compromises compared to modern watches. For some that's the charm, for others that's a pain in the ass.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information