Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 7
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Lots of good points brought up here. I first got into watches over a decade ago, and I was enamored with divers, especially Rolex divers, and Speedmasters were nice, but not really my thing. About 7 years ago, things clicked for me, mainly down to the Space program connection, and I bought what I thought was the perfect modern Speedmaster for me, a 3592.50 (I was also semi-hunting for a 145.012, but never really got serious with that quest, and I regret that greatly now). Well, I really didn't bond with that watch, and moved it on within a couple of years.

I came to realize that while the Speedmaster is an overall simple design, and while that's one of its greatest strengths, a few details make all the difference for me. I love the applied metal logo, stepped dials, and more than anything, the beveled/stepped subdials, all things the modern Speedmaster Professional no longer has. I also realized that while I like tritium patina in general, I don't love the way most tritium Speedmaster dials and hands age (although I would be more than fine with a 105.012, 145.012, 105.003, etc. on my wrist).

So for me, the modern Speedmaster Professinal is kind of boring (although still very cool). I crave a little extra in my Speedmasters, and now have three modern Speedmasters which I adore (but none are the standard Speedmaster Professional).
    panzerr likes this.
    Some watches...

Initially, I wasn't drawn to the Speedmaster. A few years later something clicked and I absolutely love it. In many ways, it's like a vintage watch, and that's not going to be for everyone.
    edhchoe and HiggsBoson like this.

I like the Seamaster collection better than the Speedmaster. I've owned a PO XL chrono, a 44mm 300M chrono, and I currently own a 300M GMT chrono. I've never liked a Speedy enough to buy one, but if I were to purchase one, it would be a Speedy 57 or a Mark II. The Pros, Moons, FOIS, etc. don't do anything at all for me. Just a personal preference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hidden by leaves View Post
    No.
    Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by dukerules View Post
    Lots of good points brought up here.
    Absolutely. I’ve read through them all and appreciate the insight. Thanks everyone.

Banned

Is the speedmaster Underwhelming? Definitely not, I think you have to see it in flesh and try it on to appreciate the work of art put into it's production.

Once I saw a Speedie Pro it smacked me in the face why it's such a big deal. It's not underwhelming in the least. The design is so simple yet says so much and I believe that is a very hard thing to pull off, stylistically. You can see why Omega made the same watch for 50 years as once they dropped the arrow hands they nailed it and didn't have to change a thing.

The point sinks in more after seeing as many a modern luxury watch as I have. Even after seeing a few Transatlantiques and Daytonas the point sinks in more just how great the Speedie Pro is.

Let me put it this way, its rarely you will find a watch model that will speak out to watch enthusiasts, regular jow, or someone who just wants to have a watch for the sake of having a watch; speedmaster speaks to everyone.

Also, its very divers in terms of dressing up or down. You can wear it on the bracelet, leather strap, funky colors, nato, whatever your preference, it will look great.

Name:  20190110_002405.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  2.21 MB
    Mr Fjeld likes this.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko - Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard - Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor - Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 - SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines -Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko - Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

Quote Originally Posted by De Wolfe View Post
    Name:  20190110_002405.jpg
Size:  2.21 MB
    Your image broke. What was it?

edit: oh so it was broke in your post but works in mine? lol

No ignorance at all, I was firmly in the what is the fascination with this watch? Then I had a friend get one and was shocked at how mich I liked the look of,the watch; clean design, iconic history, amazing movement. So I joined the club and have eyed several variations since. Name:  387CEAAF-A6BC-47D4-B533-2310EA770B3C.jpeg
Size:  1.82 MB
    Mr Fjeld likes this.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information