Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 8
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

It can come across as underwhelming if you are used to or are comparing it to modern watches in its price range. Modern watches with ceramics, sapphire, applied metal indicies and COSC certified automatic movements make the Speedy positively ancient in comparison. This is further accentuated by its manual wind and lack of seconds hacking.

However, in my experience, the modern watches might have the lustre in the showroom, the sheen wears off over time, and they seem too clinical and seemingly made from the same mould. Whereas the Speedy is like a vintage classic car that you can still buy brand new 50 years since it's initial production. It has its quirks and deficiencies, but it doesn't get boring, and continues to hold its charm. Objectively it doesn't compare to other watches in the same price range, but subjectively, I find it truly endearing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    SaoDavi, Paulsky, anthonyw and 3 others like this.

The moonwatch is timeless and versatile and will never go out of style in my opinion.
    rfortson likes this.

I've tried them on in ADs and boutiques, both the "classic" and modern iterations. Oddly enough, my favourite was a black dialed number from the 38mm range. I get the affection many have for it, but it just appears to be (in the basic/classic form) a boring 3 register chrono. I recently tried on a Bulova Moonwatch reissue, and it does everything the Moonwatch does, but (imho) better and for around 10% of the cost. I don't think I'll be buying a chronograph in the near future, but if I did, I know where my money will be going.

To those who are Speedy lovers, good on you, just don't try and tell me rubbish like "every serious watch collector must own one" or other hyperbolic guff. Chacun à son goût

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse_at_Large View Post
    I've tried them on in ADs and boutiques, both the "classic" and modern iterations. Oddly enough, my favourite was a black dialed number from the 38mm range. I get the affection many have for it, but it just appears to be (in the basic/classic form) a boring 3 register chrono. I recently tried on a Bulova Moonwatch reissue, and it does everything the Moonwatch does, but (imho) better and for around 10% of the cost. I don't think I'll be buying a chronograph in the near future, but if I did, I know where my money will be going.

To those who are Speedy lovers, good on you, just don't try and tell me rubbish like "every serious watch collector must own one" or other hyperbolic guff. Chacun à son goût
    Your logic is rock solid. You can also get a Steinhart or an Invicta instead of blowing your money on a ‘boring’ Submariner. Fossil watches aren’t boring at all, neither is Shinola.
    And pray tell, what the hell is a ‘serious watch collector’? I’m willing to wager there are very few out there among the folks who participate in this forum.
    Mr Fjeld, umarrajs and deweyfong like this.

Paulsky, 👍!!! You put a smile on my face brother. Well said. Since I’m one of the boring guys, I’ll stick with a Speedy albino and the boring Subbie. Neither is leaving the collection anytime soon 😀
    Paulsky, solesman and Mr Fjeld like this.

I recently posted the following on someone's "Should I save up for my grail or buy something nice now?" thread, and it's aptly appropriate here:

"I can give some insight to the flipside of this coin--I've always been a watch aficionado. There's a 'Top 5' list i've had in my head for a decade, but the pinnacle of my list was always a SS Rolex Daytona with the black face, and number two was a Rolex Submariner Date. Because I was able to find a fantastic deal on a brand new Omega Speedmaster Professional (number 3 on my list) with the presentation box, I decided to go ahead instead of saving up for the Sub or Daytona. While I love my Speedy Pro and had always intended to own (and keep!) one, I feel it was purchased out of order and it never quite scratched the itch for me.

Granted, second-hand Subs are still $6k+ and even second-hand two-tone Daytonas are $9k+ (so, double-to-triple the price). But I almost wish I'd waited, despite the fact that my income-stream will likely be much higher over the next couple of years.

I'll keep the speedy--likely forever. But there's something to be said about owning your grail watch if you want it for the right reasons and it's not a fleeting wish."

I have a couple of Speedmasters. A mid 90's version with exhibition back and tritium dial and also a 57 replica version with the broad arrow hands. I love them both but the Speedy Pro is by far my favorite. I wear it every day at some point.
    I bought them both second hand in great condition and they have both gone up in value since I bought them, no buyer remorse there.
    If you look at this same forum there is a thread that was started in 2010 and is now out to 478 pages long. It's almost a book you could publish. It's called the Official Speedmaster Club thread.
    I think this thread alone says most about the shear love and appreciation of this iconic watch. I'm old enough to have watched the first steps taken on the moon in real time. I came home from School to watch it beamed live into our living room as Armstrong took those steps. So for me that is a part of my love of the Speedy but I wouldn't own it if it wasn't the watch that it is.
    Mr Fjeld and MHe225 like this.

While at the Omega shop in Manhattan this past Sunday (I had to drop off my father's Seamaster for service) I took the time to try on the original Speedy. Let me tell you... even though it's so unassuming, it's gorgeous. It's the ultimate tool watch for chronos. It's simple movement is perfect for such a piece. I will most definitely invest in one in the future. It's such a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMaggi View Post
    While at the Omega shop in Manhattan this past Sunday (I had to drop off my father's Seamaster for service) I took the time to try on the original Speedy. Let me tell you... even though it's so unassuming, it's gorgeous. It's the ultimate tool watch for chronos. It's simple movement is perfect for such a piece. I will most definitely invest in one in the future. It's such a classic.
    That's exactly why I love it: it's unassuming. And because of this, it almost works with every outfit (pending changes in band/straps) without looking childish or attention-getting. But those who know will definitely know what's on your wrist.

I went to the Boutique to try on the speedmaster and felt a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it's just the lighting in the store or something, but it felt kind of cheap on my wrist.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information