Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many? - Page 9
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
    I recently posted the following on someone's "Should I save up for my grail or buy something nice now?" thread, and it's aptly appropriate here:

"I can give some insight to the flipside of this coin--I've always been a watch aficionado. There's a 'Top 5' list i've had in my head for a decade, but the pinnacle of my list was always a SS Rolex Daytona with the black face, and number two was a Rolex Submariner Date. Because I was able to find a fantastic deal on a brand new Omega Speedmaster Professional (number 3 on my list) with the presentation box, I decided to go ahead instead of saving up for the Sub or Daytona. While I love my Speedy Pro and had always intended to own (and keep!) one, I feel it was purchased out of order and it never quite scratched the itch for me.

Granted, second-hand Subs are still $6k+ and even second-hand two-tone Daytonas are $9k+ (so, double-to-triple the price). But I almost wish I'd waited, despite the fact that my income-stream will likely be much higher over the next couple of years.

I'll keep the speedy--likely forever. But there's something to be said about owning your grail watch if you want it for the right reasons and it's not a fleeting wish."
    To each their own, I guess. I personally find the utilitarian style of the Speedmaster very attractive and appealing. It is the design of the modern Daytonas, especially the sub-dials, that leave me cold.

When I first put a speedy on my wrist I have to admit at being a little disappointed but it was the size for me that was a problem. I was used to wearing large watches 45mm and up to 49mm. I used to run the old Friends of Oris forum so they were all big clunky Divers and chronos. I had always wanted a speedy so I went ahead and bought it anyway. I forced myself to wear it and no longer think of it as a small watch. The funny thing is that the Oris watches were all big attention grabbing time pieces but I never got a single compliment about them. The speedy is the only watch that I own that people comment on.

Can we all agree that you're a fanboy if you pay more than MSRP for a watch?
    Paulsky likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks wolfie1

My other watches are definitely getting no love currently. Its hard to take this off.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie1 View Post
    Awesome, enjoy in good health.

N

yes very much so

I like the fact that it's understated and that's one reason I ditched the 1998 for a 1479 and an 1171. In roughly 10 years, it's only been noticed by anybody (to my knowledge) 2 or 3 times.
    BufordTJustice likes this.
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\cam2001\SM-9-5-10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FreelanceWriter View Post
    I like the fact that it's understated and that's one reason I ditched the 1998 for a 1479 and an 1171. In roughly 10 years, it's only been noticed by anybody (to my knowledge) 2 or 3 times.
    It's the anti Rolex-Daytona-Chronograph Chronograph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paulsky and rfortson like this.
    Omega 2018 SMPmc Steel/Black on Bracelet, Seiko SUN045 Kinetic Tuna, Tag Heuer Se/L quartz WG1113-KO, Seiko SHC041 Air Diver.

Banned

Underwhelming? I would say No to that, you have to see it in person then try it on to be blown away by the Speedmaster, it was love at first sight for me.
    BufordTJustice likes this.

I love my Speedy Pro...but there are times when I look down at it for the date and then realize it isn’t there. However, the history behind the piece makes up for that with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said often enough that the Speedmaster Professional operates by stealth. You can see one a million times and it barely registers on your radar. And then, you happen to glimpse a picture of one on the web, or you see somebody walk past you in the street wearing one and it suddenly hits you all at once just how cool this watch is.

At least, that's how it happened to me. I always knew of the classic status of this watch, about the NASA link, etc. But I just always admired the fact that it remained pretty much unchanged since the mid-Sixties. For me, that was the allure of this watch. I always thought I would get one for myself someday.
    But, because it had been around for so long, I wasn't in any great rush to buy one.

Then, back in my watch selling days, our store had a very good year and we were given the option to choose a watch to a certain value. I nearly went for a TAG Heuer Carrera, but I quickly came to my senses; "What watch do you keep saying you're gonna buy, but have yet to get around to doing so?", I asked myself.
    I opted for the Speedmaster Pro, even though I had to throw in some of my own money because it was a little beyond the value allotted to me.

I got the watch and wore it on and off for about a month. Yes, it did feel slightly anti-climactic when I first got it. Then one morning, I was putting it on my wrist and the morning light hit it at a particular angle and I instantly realised why this watch has the status that it does.

Name:  4th.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  199.9 KB

It's not a watch for everybody. I used to get customers in the store who would ask; "I want the watch that went to the moon."
    I would take them over to the Omega display case, grab the watch and give them a rundown;
    "Okay, this is it. Now, the glass is Hesalite rather than sapphire, which means that it can tend to scratch a little easier and a hard knock from the wrong angle will break it. However, Polywatch will remove most scratches, and replacing a broken Hesalite crystal will be considerably cheaper than replacing a sapphire crystal.
    The water-resistance is 50 metres, good enough for splashes of water, but I don't recommend swimming with this watch on for any length of time.
    It has no date, but you can use the chrono hand as a date pointer for the first 31 minute markers on the dial. Takes a couple of weeks to get used to.
    And finally, it's a hand-wound watch, not an automatic. You will need to wind it."

This information would usually scare off six or seven out of ten customers. The ones who hadn't done a little research on the watch. The remaining three or four customers would purchase the watch.

There are aspects of this watch that are considered antique technology by some folks. But this watch isn't designed for them.
    It's a classic chronograph any way you look at it.
    MHe225, Paulsky, MattyMatt and 7 others like this.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information