WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

18K views 145 replies 93 participants last post by  LB Carl 
#1 ·
Forgive my ignorance. I am yet to see a Speedmaster in person, but have always been drawn to its utilitarian appearance and, of course, the Speedmaster history. Before I seek out a Speedy to get my hands on in person I would like to ask something that I get the impression of based off reviews I've read and the sheer number of used Speedmasters available for sale. In the world of buyer's remorse, are Speedmasters over represented?

#2 · (Edited)
No, the number of used Speedmasters is an indication that it is one of the most popular and enduring designs out there. Undoubtedly there are buyers for whom the Speedy doesn't live up to the billing, but just as sure is those buyers being far outnumbered by those who love the Speedy (in one or more of its variations) and have contributed to it becoming such an iconic watch. Only you will be able to decide in which camp you belong.

You might even change over time. I avoided the Speedy for years precisely because it was so ubiquitous. But a bargain I couldn't pass up crossed my path 18 months ago and has been, by far, my most worn watch ever since.

#5 ·
I wouldn't say underwhelming just not for everyone. Manual wind, lacks a date, not glossy and blingy. When most things these days are customer driven, this is purpose driven. No different than people liking or not liking Jeeps.
I love my Jeep!

I love the speedster too but if I bought one I would get the new co axial chronograph as it has a date and I could use it as a GMT if I wished. The original without a date is just a bit meh! for me.

Reactions: panzerr
#4 · (Edited)
I'd consider the Speedy a classic, unpretentious watch. Sure, the relentless release of the so called 'limited editions' gets rather tiresome.
The Speedy is what I'd, (rightly or wrongly) consider a cool watch, worn by the stylish/cool people 'in the know'. ;-)
If I see someone wearing a Speedy, I usually think of them as watch aficionados, the type who also appreciate the historic aspect of the watch.
Maybe I could sum it up as the 'thinking Man's watch' and not just a watch that's worn because his friends at the Golf club wear one.

#25 ·
++1

#9 ·
I still love mine. It is a strap monster and super flexible. I agree with Higgs that folks who appreciate watch history and mechanical things are drawn toward it. The Manual winding does get tiresome, lack of water resistance is a bit annoying, and it gains 10 secs per day so that’s not great but not horrible either. So for these reasons - it will be more of an occasional wearer for me. I might even suggest getting a watch with 100m water resistance if you find yourself going to pools or beaches.

If you love the space program then I think it’s great value in the low $3k range new. There are lots of reputable private dealers on watchrecon. I’d start there if you’re interested.

#10 ·
You won't know until you see it in person. I never had much interest until I randomly tried it on at my local AD. I was completely taken with it. Within weeks, I had flipped another of my watches and bought the Speedy. I still love it. I also don't mind it being manually wound. It separates it from my other watches and makes me feel more connected to it (maybe that's just me though). Bottom line - go find an AD and see for yourself. All of your questions will be answered immediately, either good or bad.

Reactions: BrianMcKay
#17 ·
This exactly.

I live in Montana where I'm 9 hours from a dealer, so I had never seen one in person. I was dismissive of the Speedy Pro based on web photos, but was really drawn to the 9300 Moon Phase blue dial. A few months ago I happen to have some extra time while traveling through GA, and visited a store with a huge selection of Omegas. After handling both models, I was so drawn to the Speedy Pro Hes that it completely changed my mindset on watches. I no longer cared that the Professional had 1) "crappy" water resistance 2) acrylic crystal 3) "antiquated" movement 4) non-applied indices 5) any other complaint commonly heard about the Speed Pro.

I just received my new Speedmaster on Wednesday, and I couldn't be happier. It truly is a beautiful, functional timepiece

#11 ·
The thing about the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch is that it’s so easy to buy and to sell. It’s an extremely ‘liquid’, marketable watch and can be had for a reasonable price. Hence people often sell or trade them when they’re temped by another watch. Usually though, they wind up missing it and buying it again, sometimes repeating the whole process several times.

If it were a more expensive or rarer watch this might not happen and you might see a lot fewer of them on the second hand market. That said, the Sub is a much more expensive watch but it’s pretty ubiquitous on the second hand market too. Somewhat similar dynamic in that it’s an easy watch to sell.

Sometimes it takes several tries until you find the Speedy that really sings to you. I’m on my third one - a 145.022 on a 1450 bracelet - and this one should be a keeper.

#19 ·
The thing about the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch is that it's so easy to buy and to sell. It's an extremely 'liquid', marketable watch and can be had for a reasonable price. Hence people often sell or trade them when they're temped by another watch. Usually though, they wind up missing it and buying it again, sometimes repeating the whole process several times.

If it were a more expensive or rarer watch this might not happen and you might see a lot fewer of them on the second hand market. That said, the Sub is a much more expensive watch but it's pretty ubiquitous on the second hand market too. Somewhat similar dynamic in that it's an easy watch to sell.

Sometimes it takes several tries until you find the Speedy that really sings to you. I'm on my third one - a 145.022 on a 1450 bracelet - and this one should be a keeper.
I think this comment perfectly summed up my view of the Speedy.

I myself did exactly the same thing where I bought a sold a Speedy within the space of a few months because another more desirable piece came up.

I know that I can get another Speedy pro so I wasn't exactly worried to let it go but definitely look at getting another somewhere in the future

Reactions: BufordTJustice
#12 ·
If one becomes tired of winding the watch then one probably doesn't deserve the Speedmaster. It's not a huge effort.
Besides it's on of the most beautiful and simple looking chronographs ever made - just like an instrument should be; reduced to its bare essentials. Apart from the twisted lugs it's almost Bauhaus inspired in its appearance.
Less is more but for those who prefer the bells and whistles it's perhaps too austere in its elegant black and white dial :)
I certainly miss mine which is being serviced - and its a keeper!

#13 ·
I've own several Speedmasters over the years and personally never found them underwhelming.

But, adding to what already has been said, I believe people flip the Speedy also because of:

-Plastic crystal (The pain of using polywatch....although there is a Sapphire version)
-Not 42mm (Bezel diameter is 39.5mm, so it wears smaller than 42)
-Plain dial (I guess that falls into the 'not blingy' category, but there are variants with applied Omega logo and markers)

#14 ·
I've always loved the Bond-and-later Seamaster. But the Speedies have really grown on me. First, you gotta see one in person and on wrist. Second, add my knowledge of horology deepened, the significance of the watch started to clock with me. At this point, I've become a big fan and will own one, whereas they did nothing for me just a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Fjeld
#15 ·
I don’t agree that we don’t deserve our Speedmasters just because we don’t love the crown winding experience. If the Speedy Pro is your high bar for pleasant hand winding, then I would recommend you try more hand wound watches for additional perspective.

I agree that the water resistance and movement accuracy are potential negative points to consider. I would add the non-hacking movement to the list.

It doesn’t mean that the Speedmaster isn’t an awesome watch. But I believe that some of the negative issues are under reported to prospective owners.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't agree that we don't deserve our Speedmasters just because we don't love the crown winding experience. If the Speedy Pro is your high bar for pleasant hand winding, then I would recommend you try more hand wound watches for additional perspective.
My childhood was spent in the seventies and quartz wasn't something a young boy experienced untill the early eighties. So yes, I do know how painfull it can be to try and pinch a much smaller crown on a hand wound wristwatch. Winding the Speedmaster isn't a terribly exhausting task and nor is it very uncomfortable.

I agree that the water resistance and movement accuracy are potential negative points to consider. I would add the non-hacking movement to the list.
I'll give you that. Water resistance isn't a strong point of the Speedmaster. However, if you have it pressure tested you shouldn't be afraid to wear it while swimming etc.
And hacking is no problem - just turn the crown back while you set the time and the movement stops. Easy as that.

It doesn't mean that the Speedmaster isn't an awesome watch. But I believe that some of the negative issues are under reported to prospective owners.
I believe that prospective buyers need to understand that some things just require more effort, although what you sacrifice in terms of convenience really isn't such a big deal. Winding isn't something to worry about; you get up in the morning, take a shower, admire your Speedmaster in all its understated glory in the bathroom mirror, brush your teeth, put on your clothes, have your breakfast while you wind your Speedmaster, take in that lovely dial and then you head off to work! A perfect morning!

Some things just require you to involve yourself with it be it an Omega Speedmaster Professional, a Morgan or a Leica M.

#21 ·
I actually had the opposite experience. When I first went and tried on the Speedmaster at an AD I felt a little underwhelmed. It looked a bit small, felt a bit light, and didn't look all that great under the bright artificial lights of the store. Luckily after a few more months I bought one anyway, and the actual wearing experience has been nothing short of amazing. It looks SO good in natural light and other various lighting conditions. The size is great now that I have the bracelet sized right and it's wearing naturally on the wrist. And the weight is great...makes a very comfortable watch for me.

As for the hand winding, I'll admit it's not the easiest to access the crown. For me, it's more the overhanging bezel that's the issue...not the crown guards. But the crown is so smooth and easy to turn it's not been an issue at all, and I love giving the watch "life" each morning when I wind it up.

#23 ·
Maybe, and it's definitely the only chronograph I would ever consider owning. There's something special about it, and you either vibe with it or you don't.

Just one man's opinion but I've owned 7 rolexes in the past few years (among a lot of other watches) and without hesitation if forced to pick my favorite single watch it is easily the speedmaster.

#26 ·
It used to be to me. But as I've grown my tastes as a collector and tend to gravitate towards more versatile pieces I am more drawn to them now . May end up with a speedy at some point.

#27 ·
I'd agree that the Speedy Pro is indeed a touch underwhelming, especially compared to modern 'maxi' dial options like current Rolex/Omega, etc offerings with gorgeous dial work and complex brushing on the case/bracelet.

But... that's sort of the whole point of the Speedy Pro. It wasn't intended to be an attention-getter, or a showpiece, or a conversation-starter. It's as close to a pure tool watch as you'll find, despite the current price tag.

To my way of thinking, the beauty of the Speedy Pro is that it's so basic, so pragmatic, so heavily optimized for a single task. If you're going to like it, you'll like it for those functional qualities, and find the aesthetics in how well it's suited the task it's built for.

#91 ·
I'd agree that the Speedy Pro is indeed a touch underwhelming, especially compared to modern 'maxi' dial options like current Rolex/Omega, etc offerings with gorgeous dial work and complex brushing on the case/bracelet.

But... that's sort of the whole point of the Speedy Pro. It wasn't intended to be an attention-getter, or a showpiece, or a conversation-starter. It's as close to a pure tool watch as you'll find, despite the current price tag.

To my way of thinking, the beauty of the Speedy Pro is that it's so basic, so pragmatic, so heavily optimized for a single task. If you're going to like it, you'll like it for those functional qualities, and find the aesthetics in how well it's suited the task it's built for.
Great input, my thoughts exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Yes, and that includes me. It does nothing for me. Every time I check one out at my AD, I'm left feeling totally underwhelmed.

In part the plethora of available preowned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse. Fanboys will of course deny this.
Or maybe these 'fanboys' just have a different opinion to you? :think:
You have no evidence to support your supposition that, 'the plethora of available pre-owned Speedmasters can most definitely be attributed to buyers remorse'.

#36 ·
I love the look of the Speedy in all the pics I see on here, and over the years have owned 2, my favourite being the original manual wind plexi.

But ultimately they are just not for me, it’s just not got that special ness that I find with my Subby, or my Pam Zero.

That’s the beauty of our hobby there are watches for all, but also a good pointer for newbies, the watch that everyone on WUS loves is not necessarily the watch you personally will love.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.