Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

Forgive my ignorance. I am yet to see a Speedmaster in person, but have always been drawn to its utilitarian appearance and, of course, the Speedmaster history. Before I seek out a Speedy to get my hands on in person I would like to ask something that I get the impression of based off reviews I've read and the sheer number of used Speedmasters available for sale. In the world of buyer's remorse, are Speedmasters over represented?

Re: Is the Speedmaster underwhelming for many?

No, the number of used Speedmasters is an indication that it is one of the most popular and enduring designs out there. Undoubtedly there are buyers for whom the Speedy doesn't live up to the billing, but just as sure is those buyers being far outnumbered by those who love the Speedy (in one or more of its variations) and have contributed to it becoming such an iconic watch. Only you will be able to decide in which camp you belong.

You might even change over time. I avoided the Speedy for years precisely because it was so ubiquitous. But a bargain I couldn't pass up crossed my path 18 months ago and has been, by far, my most worn watch ever since.
    Last edited by uvalaw2005; January 18th, 2019 at 14:09.
    Damasko DA36 ||| Junghans Max Bill ||| Omega Speedmaster||| Seiko SRPA21

I wouldn’t say underwhelming just not for everyone. Manual wind, lacks a date, not glossy and blingy. When most things these days are customer driven, this is purpose driven. No different than people liking or not liking Jeeps.
    I AM A WATCHAHOLIC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd consider the Speedy a classic, unpretentious watch. Sure, the relentless release of the so called 'limited editions' gets rather tiresome.
    The Speedy is what I'd, (rightly or wrongly) consider a cool watch, worn by the stylish/cool people 'in the know'.
    If I see someone wearing a Speedy, I usually think of them as watch aficionados, the type who also appreciate the historic aspect of the watch.
    Maybe I could sum it up as the 'thinking Man's watch' and not just a watch that's worn because his friends at the Golf club wear one.
    Last edited by HiggsBoson; January 18th, 2019 at 15:37.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMike View Post
    I wouldn’t say underwhelming just not for everyone. Manual wind, lacks a date, not glossy and blingy. When most things these days are customer driven, this is purpose driven. No different than people liking or not liking Jeeps.
    I love my Jeep!

I love the speedster too but if I bought one I would get the new co axial chronograph as it has a date and I could use it as a GMT if I wished. The original without a date is just a bit meh! for me.
    panzerr likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

I feel like itís under reported that the crown guards on the Professional model make hand winding a chore.

I donít dislike the ritual on my other hand wound watches where the crown is more accessible.

Itís not terrible enough to make me regret the purchase though. Iím still very happy with mine.
    Seaswirl, Patmine, tmathes and 5 others like this.

Indeed. But plenty of people like Jeeps until they buy one and realize it is a utility vehicle, so they trade it off. I love my Jeep despite it's jeepy feel and lack of premium features.

I wouldn’t say underwhelming just not for everyone. Manual wind, lacks a date, not glossy and blingy.
    The speedmaster is popular and yet also one of the ones easiest to buy in the pre-owned market. A dealer once had a discussion with his usual buyers, if it's so popular, why are there so many of them in the market?

Manual Wind. Normal users would think of buying it as a first watch with all the hyper surrounding around it. Then overtime get tired of winding it then sells it to buy something else. Most of the time it doesn't take long.
    Current Watches
    : Rolex Explorer 114270 | Heuer CS3140 Re-Issue |
    Glashuette Original PanoReserve | MeisterSinger Pangaea | Seiko SKX009 | Grand Seiko SBGW231 | Grand Seiko SBGE227 | Habring2 Foudroyante
    Previous Watches: Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Seamaster 2220.80 | JLC Reserve De Marche | Perpetual Tourbillon-T01 | Seagull M182SK | IWC 377714 Le Petit Prince | Nomos Orion |
    Seiko Alpinist | Tag Heuer Monaco | Grand Seiko SBGX091 | Omega Ultraman Re-issue | Current Omega Speedmaster Sapphire | A. Lange and Sohne 1815 U/D | Omega Speedmaster FOIS | Omega Speedmaster 145-022.78 | SBDC051

I still love mine. It is a strap monster and super flexible. I agree with Higgs that folks who appreciate watch history and mechanical things are drawn toward it. The Manual winding does get tiresome, lack of water resistance is a bit annoying, and it gains 10 secs per day so thatís not great but not horrible either. So for these reasons - it will be more of an occasional wearer for me. I might even suggest getting a watch with 100m water resistance if you find yourself going to pools or beaches.

If you love the space program then I think itís great value in the low $3k range new. There are lots of reputable private dealers on watchrecon. Iíd start there if youíre interested.
    the.hatter and SaoDavi like this.

You won't know until you see it in person. I never had much interest until I randomly tried it on at my local AD. I was completely taken with it. Within weeks, I had flipped another of my watches and bought the Speedy. I still love it. I also don't mind it being manually wound. It separates it from my other watches and makes me feel more connected to it (maybe that's just me though). Bottom line - go find an AD and see for yourself. All of your questions will be answered immediately, either good or bad.
    BrianMcKay likes this.
    JLC Master Hometime / Grand Seiko 9R65 Spring Drive LE / Omega Speedy Pro / Omega PO 8800

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information