Steal or bust: Did I just buy a franken-watch? Vintage 'Seamaster' cal. 420

Thread: Steal or bust: Did I just buy a franken-watch? Vintage 'Seamaster' cal. 420

Hi all, somewhat new to the world of vintage watches and acquired this vintage Omega in a trade. The buyer already offered a watch I was happy to trade with and this was extra value that I thought my partner might wear. But if it's a total fake I would rather not give it as a present.

All the seller told me is that it was a Cal. 420 vintage Seamaster, but now that I have the thing in my hands and can do some more research it doesn't appear to resemble any watch Omega has ever made - Seamaster or not!

I opened it up and the caseback looks to be original, with 2667-1 stamped on the inside. The stem is also stamped. The crystal has clearly been replaced, the case has been refinished, and the dial repainted. It also looks like someone put the wrong indexes at 12-3-6-9 and re-lumed indiscriminately.

So, can anyone tell me what I just bought? Is this even a Seamaster?

Any information is appreciated!Name:  IMG_20190610_174210.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  3.72 MBName:  IMG_20190610_174138.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  3.33 MBName:  IMG_20190610_174123.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.72 MBName:  IMG_20190610_174047.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  3.54 MB

Re: Steal or bust: Did I just buy a franken-watch? Vintage 'Seamaster' cal. 420

Well the Seamaster was Omega’s mid range sports watch in the 50’s and into the 60’s.

There were dozens (if not 100’s) of variations available with various dials, hands, date no date, guilt, stainless, straps and bracelets etc as options.

The cross hair dial was definitely an option, the dial and movement look pretty original (but it could still be a franken) if any resident Seamaster expert doesn’t jump in then I know that people have had success with authentication by contacting Omega- I think they have an authentication service.

Good luck....
    Longstride.

Anonimo/Sinn/Kobold/O&W
    CWC/Rolex/MKII/Seiko/Fortis

The crosshairs reminds me of some of the old vintage Tudor’s (Big Rose?).

Overall, I like it. The dial is different and interesting. If it’s a fake then that’s obviously an issue, but if it’s a Frankenstein who cares - if you like it, enjoy it! It can be nice to have a piece that is unique.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The movement looks ok, but the dial as you suspect looks like a redial. The 6 marker is covering the word Swiss. Using the model number you can also check the Omega website, listed under vintage watches, for more info about this particular model.
    Last edited by rjohnson56; 1 Week Ago at 21:48.

The dial is a redial ,although a nice design its not original .

Could be a pre seamaster from very late 40s, very early 50s or just a plain Omega manual wind im not sure.

Somethings not right with the brass regulator bridge, im not sure if they were engine turned or gilloched .

On the plus side the case looks original, although quite polished the crown looks original or as close as can be. The movement looks clean and recently serviced ?

Thread Information