Stopped by the Omega Boutique Today...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tsujigiri
  • 1 Post By Tsujigiri

Thread: Stopped by the Omega Boutique Today...

Stopped by the Omega Boutique Today...

Today I decided to stop by the nearest Omega boutique, because I'm considering one of their Si 14 timepieces as a grail watch in the not-so-near but not-so-distant future. The sales associates were very helpful and very informative. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures, but I learned a lot about their watches that I couldn't find online. The PO chrono looks much nicer in person than in the photos, where it looks a little clownish to me. Also, I didn't think it was too big, even with my smaller 6.5" wrists. I asked them why the Speedy is more expensive than the PO, even though the PO has better water resistance, applied markers and logos, and more case work. Apparently it is quite difficult to make domed sapphire crystal that juts up at the edges like the Speedy one does on the front and back, and this is the cause of the price difference. Almost makes me wish they had opted for Hesalite instead, which would have been much easier.

I also heard from the reps there that Omega plans to make all of their in house movements antimagnetic to 1.5 thousand Gauss within about four years. That's pretty impressive, considering that Rolex makes a big deal about their 1 thousand Gauss piece, and the Omega watches will achieve a higher spec while still keeping the display back. Supposedly they will reach this goal by replacing a few more parts in the movement with parts made of non-ferrous materials like the silicon balance wheel and spring. I know Omega is releasing a Baselworld piece that has the 1.5 mil spec, but I think it's great that they're planning to incorporate this across the whole line.

Anyway, thought you guys might be interested to hear that.
    Last edited by Tsujigiri; August 10th, 2013 at 01:54.
    Majmvt and Stonechild like this.

Re: Stopped by the Omega Boutique Today...

Thanks for the info. So which watch did you like the best? PO?

Quote Originally Posted by franzy View Post
    Thanks for the info. So which watch did you like the best? PO?
    I kind of liked the PO, although I was sure I was going to like the Speedy better. I still think the Speedy is more timeless, and I have reservations about the plasticky look of the ceramic on the PO, but the details on the PO look great IMO. Also, the end links seemed to be fit a tad bit tighter on the PO than on the Speedmaster. The titanium PO with the liquid metal bezel was incredible, too. I'm not sure I like that particular shade of blue, but the light weight was a pleasant surprise. Another thing that surprised me was that seeing the two side by side in person, I much preferred the dial layout and look of the 9300 Speedmaster to the classic Moonwatch.

Also, the 9300 has no discernable second hand jump or lag due to the vertical friction coupling, very nice. There wasn't a huge difference in the feel of the chrono pushers vs the old Moonwatch, but I've heard that this changes when they break in. I didn't think the PO required a much harder push despite the 600m water resistance. And one final thing, the minute hand on the 9300 does not jump in increments like it does on 7750 calibers, but moves slowly instead. This makes it a little more difficult to read the minute, but I guess you could run the chrono as a second time zone (shouldn't cause undue wear or amplitude loss on account of the vertical clutch).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Glad you had an enjoyable time at the boutique. The Speedy is indeed a beautiful watch, and it's nice to know they are going the anti-magnetic route with most of their future offerings, but beauty wise it's hard to beat a Milgauss
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Glad you had an enjoyable time at the boutique. The Speedy is indeed a beautiful watch, and it's nice to know they are going the anti-magnetic route with most of their future offerings, but beauty wise it's hard to beat a Milgauss
    Perhaps someday I will develop a taste for Rolexes the way so many others have, but at the moment I find it hard to reconcile the understated, almost pedestrian design with the somewhat trashy dial inscriptions and ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX laser marks. It's almost like they couldn't decide what they wanted their brand image to convey, and ended up with a presentation as incongruous as wearing a traditional 3 piece suit with blinged out grillz and Air Jordans. To each their own, though... I will admit that the Speedy is certainly more utilitarian than elegant in its appearance.
    Last edited by Tsujigiri; August 10th, 2013 at 08:03.
    OBB1044 likes this.

Psi

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    ..... Supposedly they will reach this goal by replacing a few more parts in the movement with parts made of non-ferrous materials like the silicon balance wheel and spring........

Anyway, thought you guys might be interested to hear that.
    I think that is quite interesting, thanks for passing that on.

If it is only a number of parts, how inconceivable a thought would it be for Omega to replace said parts on a routine service, upgrading 8500 etc movements when in their workshops?

The silicon balance spring apparently requires less tinkering when freshly made, that being traditionally the part that might take the time to get right, so if it were just a case of a few more parts being made non-ferrous, being swapped over, I guess we could end up with the upgrades on service?

Guess it will be all a matter of cost, if it would make servicing horrendously expensive, then they probably wouldn't want to make this prohibitively expensive! But who knows, in 9 years or so I, and any others out there, who didn't get the SI14, could end up with that, and more?!

Thread Information