WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Strap and Clasp question

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mize 
#1 ·
Hello. I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I bought my husband an omega watch as an engagement gift about 5 years ago. He also has a Rolex GMT II that I bought for him as a wedding gift. He has mentioned to me about switching out his bracelet on his Omega for a strap. I planned on getting him a leather strap from Omega in NY for this past christmas but the SA didn't get back to me. When we first emailed each other he sent me pics of two alligator strap and one calf strap. I guess those are the only ones that fit his watch when I gave him the no. on the back of his watch. Those straps come with a free tang clasp. So I inquired about a deployant clasp and ask if he can send pics. I was informed that if I wanted a deployant clasp I will have to get a different strap as the straps he sent pics of only fits the tang clasp. I asked for pics so I can decide but he has never gotten back to me. Now that Christmas has passed and had to find him something else I have decided to get him a strap for Valentines.

My question is are there more than one Omega deployant clasp? Which looks better? Should I just stick with a tang clasp?? Which strap looks better? Do you guys like the grooves in the strap? Thanks!

Attached is the pic of his watch and the straps that goes with the tang clasp that the SA sent me. Don't be shock at his watch, it is pretty banged up since he uses it as an everyday watch. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Brown Tan Strap Leather Fashion accessory
Strap Leather Fashion accessory
Zipper Strap Fashion accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice gifts!

That watch has an odd lug width, right? 19 mm, I believe? Odd lug widths make it harder to find straps, both OEM and aftermarket. Ofrei has some 19 mm straight end straps here:

Omega 19 mm Genuine Watch Straps

I personally like straight end straps better than the curved, fitted end straps you posted, but that's me. Many here like the fitted look.

Ofrei also has both deployant buckles and tang buckles. The deployant is NICE, but quite costly. The tang buckles are nice too, and very inexpensive.

Also, if you're willing to go aftermarket, you may have more options. I prefer Hirsch straps. They're every bit as nice as OEM. if you're willing to go aftermarket, our very own Gary (username WatchObsession) can set you up. Maybe PM him?

Hope this helps a little. And welcome! |>

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I've checked that website before but never knew where to begin.

I actually got off the phone with another Omega boutique and those are the only straps that can go on my husband's watch due to the size. So he can not get a deploy clasp afterall. I ordered the black calf strap for $101.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply! I've checked that website before but never knew where to begin.

I actually got off the phone with another Omega boutique and those are the only straps that can go on my husband's watch due to the size. So he can not get a deploy clasp afterall. I ordered the black calf strap for $101.
That's simply not correct. If his watch has a 19 mm lug width, ANY strap that is 19 mm at the lugs will work. Not sure what Ofrei has in terms of 19 mm Omega deployant style straps, but again, any one would work with his watch....

EDIT: Two things: First, what I meant is that any straight ended strap would work with his watch. Not all curved end straps will work with his watch. Second, I'm not 100% sure on that watch's lug width. There's a small chance it may be 18 mm. Definitely not 20 mm, though. I'm 90% sure it's 19 mm.

#5 ·
if I have to take it to our jeweler to have the strap replace then I will have them measure the width. I can always get the deployant clasp another time. The SA did say that the size was diff from other watches. But I didnt ask what size he needed.

I can't seem to find info on my husband's watch on the web. And no one else on the forum seems to own it either.

#6 · (Edited)
It's a very common watch. It's commonly referred to as a "Triple Date" Speedmaster. The confusion, for me anyway, comes from the fact that the Speedy Date and Triple Date went through an update at some time. I believe the case, and therefore the lug width, was enlarged at the time of the update. His watch is the older style Triple Date. If the AD is saying it has an unusual size, then it should have a 19 mm lug width. You can do a search of this forum. There is A LOT of info on this watch and also on 19 mm straps. Good luck!

#7 ·
+1 on the Hirsh straps (I had some of mine over 4 years already). I see in their catalogue they also do deployment buckles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.