A tale of two Railmasters - Page 10
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: A tale of two Railmasters

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: A tale of two Railmasters

Dressed up or dressed down, I never get tired of my 41mm. I love the size!

Name:  IMG_3466.JPG
Views: 507
Size:  113.9 KB

DIV

Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    Not to me it don't. I think the 36mm is a more classic size, despite the fact that the original 1957 Railys were 38mm. Between the two, the 36mm is better proportioned for your wrist, IMHO.

No idea about production numbers. Although, I have to say that the 39mm model was the biggest seller of the three, in my store. Add to that the fact that the 36mil model wasn't produced for as long as the other two sizes and I'm guessing that the thirty-six is the rarer of the three. Not that this should influence you.

The DateJust doesn't come across to me as a sporty dress watch. It doesn't have the same at-a-glance readability that the Railmaster has, in my view.
    Either way, it would appear that you're leaning towards the 39mm model. In the end, keep the one that you feel suits you best.
    All very good points, Teeritz....thank for your input.
    I do agree that the RM has much better readability than the DJ (especially mine).
    Ultimately, if I keep the 36mm RM, I will definitely order a bracelet for it.

However, I'm still interested in considering trades for a 39mm if anyone wants....

I think the 36mm looks great on you, but then again I like more classically sized watches. I do admit that I occasionally wish mine was half a millimeter bigger, but at that point we're well into hair-splitting territory. The important thing is to wear the watch that makes you happy, and not worry too much about what anybody else says!
    Last edited by workahol; January 3rd, 2016 at 03:22.
    jotcs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    I think the 36mm looks great on you, but then again I like more classically sized watches. I do admit that I occasionally wish mine was half a millimeter bigger, but at that point we're well into hair-splitting territory. The important thing is to wear the watch that makes you happy, and not worry too much about what anybody else says!
    What he said. And I agree that somewhere closer to 37mm would be ideal. Splitting hairs, as you say, but I've tried on so many watches over the years that I've become pretty sensitive to minute differences in case sizes. Having said that, 36.2mm is pretty damn near perfect for this watch on my wrist.

And an obligatory photo added to this post. Because otherwise, it's just a bunch of words;
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toothbras and jamaha like this.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

DIV

First of all, another great photo, T, I love it!

Ok, here's my thinking (and forgive me for being so analytical and not just going with what looks good).
    1) I finalizing a deal to buy a black-dial Ranchero which is also 36mm
    2) as stated before, my Datejust is also 36
    3) Again, the original Railmaster was 38mm and 39 is closer to that than 36 (too many 36's already)
    so it's variety that I'm really thinking for, so I'm kind of thinking how the watch fits into my modest collection/rotation.

but I REALLY appreciation the feedback and the attention to this thread.

thank you again and keep the discussion going!!
    Last edited by DIV; January 3rd, 2016 at 05:13.

Quote Originally Posted by DIV View Post
    First of all, another great photo, T, I love it!

Ok, here's my thinking (and forgive me for being so analytical and not just going with what looks good).
    1) I finalizing a deal to buy a black-dial Ranchero which is also 36mm
    2) as stated before, my Datejust is also 36
    3) Again, the original Railmaster was 38mm and 39 is closer to that than 36 (too many 36's already)
    so it's variety that I'm really thinking for, so I'm kind of thinking how the watch fits into my modest collection/rotation.

but I REALLY appreciation the feedback and the attention to this thread.

thank you again and keep the discussion going!!
    Okay then, for the sake of variety, go thirty-nine. Personally, 36 or 39 mil look good on your wrist. I only tend to champion the 36mm model because, according to your previous posts, your wrist is 6.5 inch. Same as mine.
    I (very) briefly considered the 39mm model, but this was at the height of the large watch era (circa 2006) and my old-school tastes still leaned towards the 36.2mm model.

No regrets.

-teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

DIV

Another great photo argument!...yes, 6.5" wrist and that's in the dead of winter, mid summer I'm sure I'm between 6.75-7.0"...but anyway....

I'm also having a hard time getting help from Otto Frei on which part number I need for ordering the correct bracelet, and I definitely want a bracelet for versatility.

To help me decide, i would love to try this watch on a bracelet for a couple days. Is anyone willing to let me borrow their bracelet for a week?...I would certainly agree to a refundable deposit, or reasonable "rental fee".
    anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DIV View Post
    Another great photo argument!...yes, 6.5" wrist and that's in the dead of winter, mid summer I'm sure I'm between 6.75-7.0"...but anyway....

I'm also having a hard time getting help from Otto Frei on which part number I need for ordering the correct bracelet, and I definitely want a bracelet for versatility.

To help me decide, i would love to try this watch on a bracelet for a couple days. Is anyone willing to let me borrow their bracelet for a week?...I would certainly agree to a refundable deposit, or reasonable "rental fee".
    anyone?
    I posted the other day that I think the 36mm already looks best on your wrist with the brown leather strap. Now I would venture to say it's perfect on your wrist on the strap. I personally think you should keep the 36mm and stop thinking about the 39mm. If you do get another 39mm, I would not sell the 36mm if I were you.

In my case, I think I look best with 38-42mm watches on my 7.25" wrist, which is fairly flat. Lately I feel like my 35mm De Ville looks tiny to my eyes, while my 44mm GSOTM often feels too big when I look at it on my wrist (mostly at night with the lumed bezel lit up).

But the appearance of the "size on wrist" can be influenced by the angle and distance at which the watch is viewed. I can take a photo of the De Ville on my wrist that makes it look just right, and then back away from the watch and the next photo makes it look too small. Likewise, I can take a close-up photo of the GSOTM and it looks too big, but as I pull the camera away the size starts to look more normal.

GTTIME likes this.
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Ti PO 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Speedy Tuesday LE * SMPc Chrono * Speedmaster Pro 861, 3570.50+3572.50 x2 * SMP Bond * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille x2
    ROLEX * Pepsi GMT Master II 126710 * Rolex SubC Hulk * SD43
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * DOXA & Aquadive Poseidon LE * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x3 * Luminox Atacama 1842+1923 & Colormark x3 * Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS, Prospex LE/PADI, SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Cal +300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch x2 * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar x2 * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD * Omega AT Skyfall, MC, 2503.33, Great White GMT & SMP Mid * Rolex Sub Hulk, SubC ND,
    16800, TT Sub, Polar Exp x3, black Exp II, Yachmaster * GMT II Coke & BLNR * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Omega CK-2998LE * Silver Snoopy Award LE * POLMLE & 2201.51 * TAG Classic 2K * SMPc * GSOTM#2 * Speedy 3513.30 * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80

Agree with Larry that pictures are tricky. I can make a watch look huge on me or just right. The head on pic is the worst for judging fit on someone's wrist.

DIV

Yeah, really good points...I'm starting to lean the other way!
    can anyone with the 36mm on bracelet give me the part number of the bracelet please?
    Last edited by DIV; January 3rd, 2016 at 17:51.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information