A tale of two Railmasters - Page 2
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: A tale of two Railmasters

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 285
  1. #11
    Member Pubcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    290

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Congratulations my friend! The 36mm Railmaster is a gorgeous piece and that is a great story of how it was obtained! Wear in good health and enjoy.

    If you ever want to sell it...

  2. #12
    Member john wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    8,484

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Gave my first one up years ago, could have kicked myself. ...found a N.O.S. at my AD's three years. It will stay.









    "Man fears time; time fears the Pyramids"

  3. #13
    Member Keaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Awesome reference thread, with a clear display of size differences. You should receive many thanks for the effort from those hunting for a Railmaster.

    I know what you mean about the size. When I received mine a month or so ago, I was gob smacked, it looked so massive. I'm used to smaller watches also and prefer them. However, after getting over the initial shock, I immediately fell in love with my Raily. It compliments my 36mm AT2500 very nicely also. I love the large size of the dial in fact, and I'm thinking I would not necessarily like the 36mm more, even though it's my prefered size. If a chance arose though, I would also get one and decide which I prefer. As it stands though, my current feeling is that my 39mm Railmaster could even be that mythical "one watch" for me. The only reason I'm not wearing it as I type is that I'm waiting for an additional half link to arrive from the United Kingdom, so I can get a perfect fit! On that day, I will fear for my other watches!

    Anyway, glad you got there in the end, and here's the obligatory mine says hi (6.9" wrist on a 5'10" 80kg frame BTW)

    dosei likes this.
    My watch collection has become too big to fit in my signature

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Member teeritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melb, AUS
    Posts
    6,804

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    I'd say teeritz is the one to blame for starting all this, you see...
    They always blame me for their lack of restraint.

    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    At 6' 1" I'm not a huge person, and I'm equipped with fairly skinny 6 3/4" wrists. Normally I'm comfortable wearing watches that range from the understated 35 mm size of the 1950's "gentleman's watch", up to a 42 mm diver or chronograph. But the 39 mm Railmaster on my arm looks like a dinner plate. Oh, the case is a comfortable size, but the fact that the dial goes aaaalllllll the way to the edge makes it appear positively enormous in proportion to its surroundings.
    When I first began to consider the Railmaster (I actually wound up getting the 36mm black-dialled AT instead. Needed a date), my boss was pushing for me to go for the 39mm model. But on my 6.5 inch wrist, the thirty-nine mil looked absolutely huge, and I always told customers that the entire AquaTerra range wore larger than their diameters would have you believe because of the fact that their dials go all the way to the edge.


    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    And of course it all comes down to personal preferences as well. As someone who generally goes through life feeling like I was born a few decades too late, I've never got on board with the recent huge watch trend.
    That line pretty much mirrors what I have written on my blog. It's practically gonna be my epitath;



    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post

    I simply prefer my watches to adhere to the more classic sizing of years gone by. The Omegas in my collection are intended to be "keepers", and I plan to hang onto them through the next fad, and the one after that.
    For the most part I tend to only collect watches that I think have a certain extra "something" that gives them an element of timeless appeal... to me, anyhow. It's such a personal hobby, this, and each individual has to decide which ones are worth hanging on to and which ones to let go of. In my experience, if the watch is right for you, you'll just know it when you put it on.
    I like you, pal. That was well said, and I agree 100%. I've made a few mistakes throughout my years of collecting, but there are numerous models in my stable that are going nowhere. Some of them are not the popular choices of modern watch collectors, but this hobby is, as you say, a personal thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    The proportions of the two are ever so slightly different - the lugs on the larger watch appear somewhat more slender, and the crown on the smaller watch looks more substantial with respect to the case. Size-wise, the 36 mm version puts me very much in mind of the original Explorer, which is exactly what I'd hoped.
    I had, for some time, considered going for a 1016 Explorer;



    Classic, classic wristwatch. However, going for a modern Railmaster instead would assure me a level of water-resistance that a vintage Explorer could not guarantee.
    And I can rip off a vintage Rolex magazine ad as well as anybody;




    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Oh, and confidential to teeritz - thanks for the introduction to the Railmaster world. I owe you a drink sometime. I imagine we could find something in common...

    One drink may not be enough, sir. We may need to go out on a bender, 1950s-style. You know, a three-Martini lunch before we drive to some other bar with no seatbelts on. If we're gonna do it, we might as well do it right.



    EDIT: Where are my manners?! Thanks for the kind words, workahol!
    Last edited by teeritz; July 13th, 2014 at 13:47.
    -teeritz-

    Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.



    My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

    tinzer0 on Instagram

  6. #15
    Member hchj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,977

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Great post! I enjoy reading thoroughly.
    Ball, Breitling, Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer and Titoni











  7. #16
    Member Pubcrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    290

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Between the OP and teeritz' response, best thread of 2014!
    John048 and VahnFanelle like this.

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NYC / NJ
    Posts
    404

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Very nicely written review/experience, interesting stats on the size. Love the Railmasters!

  9. #18
    Member workahol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northwestern USA
    Posts
    251

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Thanks teeritz, mosfetaus, and John for contributing more tasty Railmaster images! The internet can never have too many of those. (also, what in the world is that blue background and where can I get one?)

    Went to resize the bracelet on my new acquisition and managed to get one of the pins well and truly stuck halfway. That's never happened to me before, or at least I've never gotten one so stuck that I couldn't unstick it. No idea what its problem is, but it's more than a match for the tools I have available. So it's off to the jeweler tomorrow to get it fixed, therefore no wrist shot just yet.

  10. #19
    Member pascs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Qatar and Scotland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Great looking watches and great photos, always liked the railmaster

    I suffer from the opposite problem since my wrist is a wide 7 3/4", anything less than 39mm looks too small on my wrist. I have the 42mm Aqua Terra which I think uses the same cases as the railmaster series
    A few Ω Seamaster, Speedmaster and flightmaster
    More than a few Seikos

  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,598

    Re: A tale of two Railmasters

    Nice pieces! Glad it all worked out :)

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •