A tale of two Railmasters - Page 22
Like Tree328Likes

Thread: A tale of two Railmasters

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Re: A tale of two Railmasters

Quote Originally Posted by Btreichel87 View Post
    I do think the 36mm is the sweet spot for sub 7inch wrists. Congrats. I'm curious how sourcing a bracelet will go for you. Keep us posted.
    Will do. Didn't really consider buying one for the 39mm as it would have made its appearance even larger but from all the pictures I've seen from you guys with the 36mm the bracelet really works and adds to the vintage style.
    Btreichel87 likes this.

I'm glad you did this comparison. Early on when I was learning about watches, I saw a 39mm Railmaster for sale at a grey market store and walked back to it twice before deciding I should pass. I felt some remorse about letting that one go, but seeing it compared to the 36mm for the first time makes me think smaller can be a plus in this case.

Hi everyone - Here's another comparing picture of the Explorer 36 mm and the Railmaster 36 mm. In my subjective opinion the railmaster wears slightly larger.
    Enjoy!

Attachment 13958485

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  Explorer 36 vs Railmaster 36.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  1.30 MB
    fskywalker likes this.

The 36mm arrived in good condition and well this is getting interesting... it really is quite a bit smaller than the 39mm version. It kind of feels a little tinier and jewelry like than what I expected. A lot lighter as well which is not a bad thing. I do have 50's dress watch Omega with 35mm case so I'm used to smaller watches but the difference between these two Railmasters really surprised me. In a way they seem to have very distinct natures.

The thin strap attached is not a good one though. With a bracelet it should appear a bit larger, right?
    fskywalker likes this.

Hi everyone, just wanted to share two honeymoon photos,
    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

teeritz and fskywalker like this.

Looked at this thread and read every single post last summer when I was looking at getting a 2503.80 or 2504.80 (39mm vs 36mm 2500 AT, respectively) - shoutouts to everyone for contributing. Ended up going with a 2503.80 39mm for a 6.75inch flat-ish wrist. I'd echo the sentiment that 1) pictures have an effect of making watches looking way bigger than they are (mirror shots, etc. are crucial) and 2) wrist shape matters a lot more than wrist size.

Ended up flipping the AT for an SMPc 2500, but sometimes I do miss the clean and classy 2500 AT dial...

Further, although the DJ41 (126300, true diameter 39.5mm and L2L of 47.5mm) has similar dimensions to the 39.2mm AT 2500, it wears just a tiny bit larger (and probably maybe even a tiny bit larger than my SMPc), which is interesting... (maybe due to the large dial and protruding solid endlinks. I wish Rolex sometimes were a little bit more like Omega in its lug design (love the torqued lugs on my SMP, for example).

Name:  i600vRN - Imgur.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  1.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by coelb View Post
    The 36mm arrived in good condition and well this is getting interesting... it really is quite a bit smaller than the 39mm version. It kind of feels a little tinier and jewelry like than what I expected. A lot lighter as well which is not a bad thing. I do have 50's dress watch Omega with 35mm case so I'm used to smaller watches but the difference between these two Railmasters really surprised me. In a way they seem to have very distinct natures.

The thin strap attached is not a good one though. With a bracelet it should appear a bit larger, right?
    I think the 36mm Railmaster first and foremost should live on the bracelet. If I didn't have the bracelet, while I think I would still enjoy the watch, it would not be the same piece in my collection. The bracelet brings out the versatility in the watch.

That being said, I wouldn't expect the bracelet to make the watch significantly larger. It may to some extent due to the solid end links making the lug to lug distance slightly longer and therefore widening the point where the bracelet turns down around your wrist. But don't expect a night and day difference.

For me, I knew pretty soon that the 39 was too big for me. I wanted a watch that would not take up my whole wrist. A watch that takes up my whole wrist (in my mind) is a sport watch, and while the Railmaster is a very versatile watch, it's not a pure sport watch. It's somewhere in between.

Last point, is dial size. To me, case size is second to lug to lug and more importantly dial size. The 36 mm Railmaster has a larger dial size than my explorer 2. (28mm vs 27.8ishmm). The bezel on the explorer 2 is where that extra 3mm are gained and it keeps the proportions ideal.

36mm is a classic size for a men's watch. But if I didn't have the bracelet for the Railmaster I would not where it as much. I'll admit that. It's on an alligator strap right now and it's seeing less wrist time.

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Instagram: watch_wisco

Quote Originally Posted by Btreichel87 View Post
    I think the 36mm Railmaster first and foremost should live on the bracelet. If I didn't have the bracelet, while I think I would still enjoy the watch, it would not be the same piece in my collection. The bracelet brings out the versatility in the watch.

That being said, I wouldn't expect the bracelet to make the watch significantly larger. It may to some extent due to the solid end links making the lug to lug distance slightly longer and therefore widening the point where the bracelet turns down around your wrist. But don't expect a night and day difference.

For me, I knew pretty soon that the 39 was too big for me. I wanted a watch that would not take up my whole wrist. A watch that takes up my whole wrist (in my mind) is a sport watch, and while the Railmaster is a very versatile watch, it's not a pure sport watch. It's somewhere in between.

Last point, is dial size. To me, case size is second to lug to lug and more importantly dial size. The 36 mm Railmaster has a larger dial size than my explorer 2. (28mm vs 27.8ishmm). The bezel on the explorer 2 is where that extra 3mm are gained and it keeps the proportions ideal.

36mm is a classic size for a men's watch. But if I didn't have the bracelet for the Railmaster I would not where it as much. I'll admit that. It's on an alligator strap right now and it's seeing less wrist time.

Hope that helps. Let me know.

Thanks a lot for your input. I do think that the 39mm is too large and the 36mm is in either case better but I guess the question for me right now is whether a size somewhere in between would be the one. Like a LE Railmaster in 38mm.

The strap I have right now for the 36 is actually quite horrible. I just ordered a hand made Shell Cordovan strap in bourbon which should arrive next week. It'll surely change things for the better already. After that I'll have to think about the bracelet more seriously. And for that it's good to know that it doesn't make that much difference sizewise. Stylewise it's surely a nobrainer.

To liven up the thread a bit....

fskywalker likes this.
    Instagram: watch_wisco

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread Information