A tale of two Railmasters - Page 4
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: A tale of two Railmasters

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: A tale of two Railmasters

The 36mm Railmaster has been at the local Omega AD for a few days in order to have an appraisal done. This is a mildly absurd process of kabuki theater I must go through any time I purchase a new watch of significant value that I plan on keeping. Here is how it inveriably goes: I walk through the door and tell them what I have, and then a few days later I go back and pick up the watch and a sheet of their letterhead that says yes, that seems to be more or less what it is, and by the way we don't know how to value a discontinued model so here's the list price of - in this particular case - a new AT 8500 instead. I also get to pay the AD their fee, of course. Oh well, it makes the insurance company happy and I suppose I'll be happy too if my house ever burns down with my watches in it.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up tonight, it was brought out to the counter by a sharply-dressed young lady employee of the store. "This is a nice watch," she offered, "I've never seen one of these. It'd be much better if it had a date on it though." And for once in my life, I was ready with a snappy comeback as I collected my things and waked out the door.

"Perhaps," I said, "but sometimes all you need is the time."

(A tip of the hat to teeritz yet again for the quip)
    Ruche and Pubcrawler like this.

Wonderful introduction to the 36mm Railmaster. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    The 36mm Railmaster has been at the local Omega AD for a few days in order to have an appraisal done. This is a mildly absurd process of kabuki theater I must go through any time I purchase a new watch of significant value that I plan on keeping. Here is how it inveriably goes: I walk through the door and tell them what I have, and then a few days later I go back and pick up the watch and a sheet of their letterhead that says yes, that seems to be more or less what it is, and by the way we don't know how to value a discontinued model so here's the list price of - in this particular case - a new AT 8500 instead. I also get to pay the AD their fee, of course. Oh well, it makes the insurance company happy and I suppose I'll be happy too if my house ever burns down with my watches in it.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up tonight, it was brought out to the counter by a sharply-dressed young lady employee of the store. "This is a nice watch," she offered, "I've never seen one of these. It'd be much better if it had a date on it though." And for once in my life, I was ready with a snappy comeback as I collected my things and waked out the door.

"Perhaps," I said, "but sometimes all you need is the time."

(A tip of the hat to teeritz yet again for the quip)
    Score! I have yet to use that line, myself. Except in front of a mirror, along the lines of Travis Bickle -"You talkin' to me?"

Hey workahol, add a couple of nice close-ups of the watch, plus one of you wearing it, to the file, along with the insurance appraisal. And photocopy the warranty cards too. No insurance company will mess with you then.

As for sales assistants at ADs, I'm still surprised (but I don't know why, after all my years selling watches) when they take a quick glance at my wrist, see the 1962 Seamaster or WatchCo SM300 and they don't even register that it's an Omega. Always shows that they aren't familiar with models that aren't on their shelves.
    And if a lack of date horrifies them so much, maybe they could wear a non-date watch on the first and last of the month. And their birthdays too.
    That should be easy enough for them to remember the date.
    Maybe.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome write up, I know the feeling of being particular about face size/wrist size.

Banned

I'd say teeritz is the one to blame for starting all this, you see.

T - "I know what you're thinking... did he wind his watch six times or only five?" :) And good thinking on the "watch selfie". I've got the other photos and documentation locked in, but you're probably right that the typical insurance company will be on the lookout for an excuse to say "Well how do we know it's really you who owned all those watches? Claim denied!" Sheesh.

Also, a little bird tells me that another WIS who I've had some offline correspondence with has just joined the 36 mm Railmaster owner's club. Maybe I can convince him to post his own "watch selfie"...

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Also, a little bird tells me that another WIS who I've had some offline correspondence with has just joined the 36 mm Railmaster owner's club. Maybe I can convince him to post his own "watch selfie"...
    Thanks workahol for all your help and providing measurements of the watches to me. I seriously could not decide between the 36mm and 39mm Railmaster and after getting the info from you, I swung for the fences and purchased a NOS 36mm Railmaster. After receiving it, I feel as though the 36mm works out perfectly fine. Its dial indeed is very similar to my 38.5mm Skyfall even though it is at 36mm. Also its so hard to find the 36mm that I think I am holding on to it. As forum policy dictates with any new acquisition, here's a wrist shot of the watch (although not as good as pics that workahol provided in this thread).

Also a group shot with his brothers that I have purchased all within the past 4 months. I swear this forum is a bad idea...

teeritz likes this.

Wow, looks fantastic! Congratulations, that is a real find - a NOS Railmaster, woohoo! Enjoy it always and wear it in the very best of health.

36mm Railmasters are coming out of the woodwork now. Maybe history will look back and decide that this thread was the beginning of the trend back towards reasonably-sized watches. I sure hope so. :)

Mine says hello and welcome to the family:

OMEGAFORCE and dng992 like this.

DIV

That 36mm RM (above) looks perfect.

I second that!
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information