A tale of two Railmasters - Page 6
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: A tale of two Railmasters

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Re: A tale of two Railmasters

Great review and amazing pictures! I've been looking for a 36/39mm Railmaster myself... Sucks that they've been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by DIV View Post
    Was the total thickness the same between the 36 and the 39mm RM's?
    Sorry, I didn't think to measure the thickness, but if I had to guess I would say they are more or less identical in that regard. The Railmaster used the same case as the Aqua Terra 2500, so you might be able to find thickness data for those models.

Is that the 36 on all your wrist shots???
    Yes, all wrist shots from me in this thread are the 36mm Railmaster on a 6.75" wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    Can't recall the difference in thickness between the two. The 39mm model was on my wrist for about two minutes. It just looked too large on me, in my opinion. Your view may differ.
    When I put the 36mm model on, it had a nice, mid-Century feel to it. That's when I knew that it would suit my old-school tastes and sensibilities.
    And it goes nicely with my 36.2mm AquaTerra. Somebody on this forum once said something along the lines of; 'Don't buy a watch because of current trends. Get a watch that suits you and your wrist and don't worry about what anybody thinks."
    It's such an obvious statement, but it became a mantra for me.
    ^ Please let it be known that I would like to personally co-sign every word of the above quote from the esteemed signore teeritz.

And how about the lug size?
    was the 36mm=20mm?
    and the 39mm=21mm?
    The 41mm Railmaster has 21mm lugs, the 39mm has 20mm lugs, and the 36mm has 19mm lugs. Makes it a bit awkward to find straps, but I personally like it so much on the bracelet that it never comes off.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post

^ Please let it be known that I would like to personally co-sign every word of the above quote from the esteemed signore teeritz.
    Too kind!

I've spent the last week and a half watching the final season of Mad Men. My alcohol intake increased slightly and I've had a mad craving for cigarettes, but the nicotine patches would play havoc with me lighting up. Besides, I had a good run with tobacco over the years. In keeping with the Eisenhower mood that I've been in this week, I left my 36.2mm AquaTerra on my wrist. And as a tribute to Don Draper's early Sixties Omega Seamaster (complete with a stale cigarette as a prop);

Name:  15th Tue.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  470.6 KB
    avusblue and jamaha like this.
    -teeritz-

Sent from the typing pool of the Double-O Section.

My other distractions---> https://teeritz.blogspot.com.au/

tinzer0 on Instagram

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teeritz View Post
    I've spent the last week and a half watching the final season of Mad Men. My alcohol intake increased slightly and I've had a mad craving for cigarettes, but the nicotine patches would play havoc with me lighting up. Besides, I had a good run with tobacco over the years. In keeping with the Eisenhower mood that I've been in this week, I left my 36.2mm AquaTerra on my wrist. And as a tribute to Don Draper's early Sixties Omega Seamaster (complete with a stale cigarette as a prop);
    Excellent photo!

Oh, final season of Mad Men, don't even get me started. And I hear you about Mad Men induced alcohol consumption (who's the highest-functioning alcoholic, Don Draper or James Bond?). But for me the most common side effect of watching that show is "apologizing to my wife on behalf of television characters".

Obligatory on-topic thread content: The Railmaster remains a great watch. Carry on.

Excellent report, and I am very glad for you that you found the 36mm model. I understand completely why you would find the larger one too large. I have a 7.5in wrist, but still prefer the smaller size. I had one a few years ago, and it is the only watch I have ever sold that I do regret. You are correct, they are very, very scarce.

I had an Explorer 36mm as well, although for some reason do not regret selling it.

Make sure you hang on to it! :)
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Thanks Carl - Of course I stared at your Railmaster photos while I was hunting for mine. Maybe you will find another someday?

DIV

OK, look what I had to resort to? Paper cut-outs to correct scale! (I was amazed how accurately my HP printer calculated the reduction percentages!)
    Red dot is 36mm and green dot is 39. The 2nd photo is 36 and the third....ok, you get it...LOL
    Yes, the photos aren't great...
    Based on these (and how comfortable I am with my 41mm Seamaster Pro), I think the 39 is the right move for me...Attachment 6333610
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DIV; December 16th, 2015 at 06:59.
    calv1n, OMEGAFORCE and Btreichel87 like this.

Great thread. Very convincing arguments for the 36mm. But I must practice a little self-control and stick with my 39mm...for now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    teeritz, calv1n, GLB2016 and 1 others like this.

Nice post, thanks. I've always liked the railmaster...wish they'd bring it back.
    Current Collection: Rolex Submariner 'C', Rolex GMT II, Kobold Endurance A, Seiko Sumo-Orange, Seiko SRP777 "Turtle", LeCoultre Futurematic, Two 1950's Omega Seamasters, Accutron Spaceview, Accutron Deep '666', Helson Shark Diver Blue.

I really wish they didn't discontinue it. Such a cool watch.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information