Things I learned when I purchased my first nice watch...then sold it - Page 3
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Things I learned when I purchased my first nice watch...then sold it

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Things I learned when I purchased my first nice watch...then sold it

Great post, the key is to learn from your mistake, sadly I had the same experience several times, if you only do it once you've done well, fortunately I've never taken what you'd call a bath on any I've subsequently sold on, but there's been a few.

The next step on the WUS learning ladder is to buy one, realise it's not for you and flip it, then realise it was for you after all, and buy it back for more than you sold it for...

Sean
    BaCaitlin likes this.
    Keeping the British End Up....

maybe i was too dumb to pick it up, but what was the watch? speedmaster or seamaster?

Quote Originally Posted by stickheywood View Post
    Title "Things I learned..."
    Then imagine the opposite of 1-7.
    Must be just me being daft , but if youve lusted after a seamaster 300 Since your 20's why buy a speedmaster ??????

Anyway alls well that ends well , have you bought your 300 ???

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To the OP, I'd love to hear which watch it was you bought and flipped (I'm assuming the SMP ceramic). If you've been lusting after a SMP "since your 20s" perhaps the wave dial version is the one you really want?

Give us some more details and we'll help you figure it out ;)

Great post! I LOL'd a few times because I've done the same thing. It happens to the best of us. So what did you order next?
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

Even more encouragement for me to stick with watches on the second hand market and wait for a good deal.

This is why it probably took me over two years to get my PO after I could have, (drooling over them since they came out).
    I never veered from the goal - but I did acquire and sell a whole bunch of watches along the way. Its all part of the fun.
    I guess the moral on luxury/frivolous items is once your committed don't worry about the money you should have already written it off in your head, if it doesn't work out move on.
    All this that comes from a guy who takes ages to buy a new car knowing I will drive it into the ground.

By the way very amusing story.
    Last edited by truea; May 2nd, 2012 at 16:37.

Pretty funny stuff, minus the guilt part about the diapers and what not.

Two things you mentioned that I've done -

1- I tried to meet a guy at a starbucks to buy my first Ball. But a storm had knocked out their power. The guy calls me and says "Lets just meet at the wawa (convenience store) across the street. They know me there. It's cool". I'm thinking, how is this cool ? I wanted to sit down while we do this. I get there and the guy is in oakley military issue combat boots and has a glock on his hip, not to mention he's like 6'4", 250 and I'm all of 170 soaking wet... Um, OK. He proceeds to tell me he's a local cop. We go into the store and do the deal as he makes a cup of coffee. I pull out the money and he starts checking the bills with a marker on the same shelf as the bread. The manager walks over and is like "can I help you guys ? what are you doing ?". The cop says, "I'm on the job, we'll be done in a minute. Thanks (sarcastically)". very awkward.

2- I also convinced myself that I HAD to have a watch based on it's stunning looks. Problem was, until the bracelet was fit, I wasn't aware that it was the most uncomfortable thing since wool baseball uniforms on an august afternoon in atlanta. "Luckily" only ate $600 when I sold it.
    BaCaitlin likes this.

I enjoyed your post a lot, I found myself laughing out loud multiple times. I have 3 kids and I can relate, family first. This is just a hobby for me, every man needs one of two hobbies to keep them happy. In the end, we all work hard, love and care for our family, we deserve a nice watch or two to keep us in our happy place.
    CCJ likes this.
    Trevor

I think some of you need to lighten up on the man. Have any of you ever bought something you changed you mind on? He bought a watch and this is a watch forum.

I hope this knocks some sense into the first time looker/buyer.

Thanks for the read s-wood.
    heavenscloud likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information