Things I learned when I purchased my first nice watch...then sold it - Page 4
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Things I learned when I purchased my first nice watch...then sold it

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Things I learned when I purchased my first nice watch...then sold it

Excellent post! Glad you took the time to share your experience in the hope of helping/educating others. BTW I too am curious as to which watch you bought and rejected.

Cheers

Simon
    Last edited by scoope; May 2nd, 2012 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by scoope View Post
    Excellent post! Glad you took the time to share your experience in the hope of helping/educationg others. BTW I too am curious as to which watch you bought and rejected.

Cheers

Simon
    Glad most everyone is taking it in the light-hearted manner that I intended. Yes, I bought the SMPc and rejected it. Beautiful watch. Not right for me though. Also, fear not, my family is well looked after. I do have my priorities straight, though this whole thing brought out a crazy side in me that in my 40 some odd years I did not know existed.

92gli, funny story. I totally relate to the strange situation you found yourself in. I'm sure many relate to the truly bizarre situations you can find yourself in.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm in the market for my first "nice" watch as well. I don't have just one that I'm looking at, so my search (fortunately or unfortunately) is taking longer, because I can't figure out which one I like more. What didn't you like about the SMP? What are you going to buy (or have already bought) to replace it?

P.S. - your list has two number 7's.
    G$$$

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm glad I didn't make a mistake in my 1st nice watch. Well, I almost did but saved myself. It's a long story if anyone wants to continue reading.

As a wedding gift, my fiancee wanted to buy me a nice watch. She says Costco usually has some so we go in to look and there's a nice Tag Link that we both really liked that ran about $1600. She goes back a week later and purchases it. Then she has second thoughts about it since it's quartz and she wants me to have an automatic if it's something I'm going to keep for the rest of my life. She returns it and we go to a jewelry shop and see a Tag Carrera that we both like better. It's automatic, has a much nicer looking bracelet than the Link series, and after doing research I figure out it can be had for about $2500. I continue to read some reviews online talking about issues with the chrono buttons on those models that make me rethink buying the watch. I eventually get around to checking out Omegas and notice the PO 2500 that Bond is wearing. I continue to say 'Bond, James Bond' around her like an idiot. She eventually asks what's up and I tell her I want the Bond watch. Mind you we went from $1600 to $2500 to the high $3000's so we're pushing her budget. She says she'll get it in the summertime. Luckily I found out that they were discontinuing it so I contacted one of the AD's from here and put down a deposit on it that brings it down closer to her $3000 limit. She should be calling them next week to pay the remainder. I'm so glad we didn't go with that either of those Tags.

Then in order to keep myself sane for the next 8 months until I finally got the PO in my hands, I bought a SMP quartz. :P
    Last edited by Vicious49; May 2nd, 2012 at 18:00.
    NMGE17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen2win2 View Post
    Thanks for the honest feedback. I'm in the market for my first "nice" watch as well. I don't have just one that I'm looking at, so my search (fortunately or unfortunately) is taking longer, because I can't figure out which one I like more. What didn't you like about the SMP? What are you going to buy (or have already bought) to replace it?

P.S. - your list has two number 7's.
    Thanks for the note. Now fixed.

As for your search please note 1-8. Take your time, and only buy when you are absolutely sure. Run away at any time. There is no bride left waiting at the church if you bail. It's just a watch and a retail transaction. Retailer feelings don't matter.

As for the smpc the watch looked better in the AD then on my wrist at work or around town. To me it was a little to flashy. It's not a flashy watch, but again, to me, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by stickheywood View Post
    Glad most everyone is taking it in the light-hearted manner that I intended. Yes, I bought the SMPc and rejected it. Beautiful watch. Not right for me though. Also, fear not, my family is well looked after. I do have my priorities straight, though this whole thing brought out a crazy side in me that in my 40 some odd years I did not know existed.

92gli, funny story. I totally relate to the strange situation you found yourself in. I'm sure many relate to the truly bizarre situations you can find yourself in.
    I thought your original post was pretty spot on re: advice on how to select a watch.

I'm curious though, you'd wanted a SMP for nearly two decades so what made you go for the version that came out a couple of months back?

Also, have you had any more thoughts on what watch would fit the bill after this experience?

Great post...regrets eh!

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    Why not sell it on the WUS sales corner? From your description it seems like you took a beating on the resale. An omega that is still mint from an AD with papers fetch a more than decent resale price here.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
    +1
    No one wanted it. Put it up for trade. Several other smpc's up for sale and didn't want to flood the board with one more sale. In meantime I listed it on craigslist to see if I could avoid paypal fees etc. I got more for it on craigslist then people were successfully selling for on WUS.
    Then again I had to complete an in person transaction for lots of money with a total stranger. Plus and minus to the way I went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    I thought your original post was pretty spot on re: advice on how to select a watch.

I'm curious though, you'd wanted a SMP for nearly two decades so what made you go for the version that came out a couple of months back?

Also, have you had any more thoughts on what watch would fit the bill after this experience?
    Didn't like the wave dial when I put it on. Found the watch hard to read. One o' the lessons, the picture in your mind is often different then the experience of the actual thing.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information