Thinking about what to get for my 30th birthday...
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thinking about what to get for my 30th birthday...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking about what to get for my 30th birthday...

So my 30th birthday is in a few months, which seems like a plausible excuse to blow a bunch of money on something unnecessary. We're already doing a few vacations this year, so something tangible and long-lasting seems appropriate to say goodbye to my 20s. I'm not operating with endless funds here but could probably wrap my head around this using a round-number birthday as justification.

I already have the sports car, so a watch seems like something to consider.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  202.2 KB

I have a polished Breitling which I generally wear when formal attire is needed, and I recently got (and adore) my PO 2500. I really don't need another watch (do any of us on here? ); the reason I got the PO was as a nice everyday watch which I could sub for the Breitling when I need to wear a tie. I'm frankly not sure how much wrist time a third watch would get, but still, it's an addiction so it's on my mind.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  121.5 KB

The default position would be: get a Rolex. They hold their value incredibly, they're traditionally a "big event" type of watch, and they're obviously incredibly engineered devices. The one that appeals most to me is a stainless no-date Sub, probably a 14060 since I prefer the thinner lugs and since the new ones are unobtainium and overpriced anyway. The only thing is, I see this occupying the same practical day-to-day use and basic aesthetic as the PO, and to be honest I slightly prefer the look of the 2500 over the Sub. Does anyone have both, and do you find that you prefer or wear either of them more than the other?

Name:  rolex-submariner-14060-52mondayz-2354.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  97.2 KB

The other strong contenders are two Speedmasters, either a Professional Moonwatch (hesalite obviously) or a FOIS. Obviously Speedies are fantastic watches, and completely timeless, and a fairly safe place to park money as an heirloom or memento. This year is also the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, and my birthday is also in July, so its an interesting coincidence on that front as well. I slightly prefer the symmetrical case, straight lugs, lack of crown guards, and hands on the FOIS so if I went with a Speedie I think I'd go that route even though it's heretical.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  269.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9833.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  710.5 KB

I realize this may be biased territory but I'm curious for input or things I may not be considering wrt either of these models, or other ones I've forgotten about. I feel like I'm short-changing the Rolex, for some reason. I only recently began research into this dumb idea, so who knows where this will land.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the collection:
    β SuperOcean Héritage A1732124
    Ω Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50
    Seiko Day-Date 7N43-8A39 (inherited)
    Guess WaterPro Chronograph 42mm (whole lot of history)

In the garage:

Carrera 3.2 Targa (toy)
    F10 5-Series (daily)
    Audi Q3 (hers)

Re: Thinking about what to get for my 30th birthday...

What year Porsche is that? Is it air-cooled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three black dialed divers seem redundant, tbh.

Are all maxi case Rolexes out? Exp1/II maybe? As far as non-professional models, perhaps DJ41/OP39? .
    Last edited by JoeC; March 15th, 2019 at 21:23.
    Omega Aqua Terra Master Co-Axial 8500 - Omega 300M Master Chronometer - Seiko "Samurai" SRPC93

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wish I would have bought a Rolex for my 30th. 1999. The AD wanted $2700. Seemed like too much money to me. So I passed.
    Now I am trying to buy that watch for under $7k. I wonder it that trend will continue. Hope so. That being said, I have a Speedy FOIS and am considering selling it to go towards a 14060. My older eyes are having a tough time with Chronos. The FOIS is beautiful though. Love the the dial with applied logo. I am also on the wrong side of the Hesalite argument. Don't want to worry about scratches.
    You have two great watches already, both black dials. Have you considered a different dial color for variety? I picked up a Explorer II Polar for that reason. Now it is my favorite watch. Also went with the 5 digit version because of size.

Quote Originally Posted by malern View Post
    What year Porsche is that? Is it air-cooled?

1984, yup it's air cooled. The 911 was air cooled until ~1998 (exact timing varied by specific model).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
    Are all maxi case Rolexes out? Exp1 maybe? As far as non-professional models, perhaps DJ41/OP39?
    I don't love the Explorer, Datejust would def be a different look I'm just not sure I'd have occasion to really wear one.

malern likes this.
    In the collection:

In the garage:

Carrera 3.2 Targa (toy)
    F10 5-Series (daily)
    Audi Q3 (hers)

Personally based on your current 2 watch line up, I'd be looking to add a little color, even if it's just blue. Still mostly neutral, still easy to wear. Of the watches you mentioned above I would get the moonwatch over the other FOIS or the Subby. As great as Rolex' are they just don' thrill me and next to your PO and SOH it will seem rather staid in my opinion from a style perspective. The moon watch will stand out and as you point out it is iconic.

But still.... I might be thinking about a blue watch were I you. Maybe a Navitimer? Maybe an Aqua Terra if you want to stay in the Omega realm. Sporty and dressy, versatile and the blue is sweet. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Overlord View Post
    Personally based on your current 2 watch line up, I'd be looking to add a little color, even if it's just blue. Still mostly neutral, still easy to wear. Of the watches you mentioned above I would get the moonwatch over the other FOIS or the Subby. As great as Rolex' are they just don' thrill me and next to your PO and SOH it will seem rather staid in my opinion from a style perspective. The moon watch will stand out and as you point out it is iconic.

But still.... I might be thinking about a blue watch were I you. Maybe a Navitimer? Maybe an Aqua Terra if you want to stay in the Omega realm. Sporty and dressy, versatile and the blue is sweet. JMHO.
    I owned a blue face/bezel Tag for less than 2 days before selling it; for whatever reason I think I'm a white or black face kind of guy.

I do love the Navitimer, I tried a Navi 42 on at a local AD earlier this week. I think it falls into the same "similar formality/use case" category as the Sub, though. Maybe I'm weird but when I have multiple similar watches I just end up only wearing the one I like most... a watch winder might solve that, though.

A white faced Datejust, maybe even a 36 (I'll have to try them on) may work, too. It would definitely be different and even if I didn't wear it often that wouldn't inherently be a problem given that it's a dress watch.
    In the collection:

In the garage:

Carrera 3.2 Targa (toy)
    F10 5-Series (daily)
    Audi Q3 (hers)

If it were me, I would go for the Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch with hesalite crystal. This is a true collectable and a watch that is highly respected from other watch collectors and aficionados. I have owned the Rolex Sub 14060 and it is a fantastic watch but I think you will get board with it. The other thing to consider is Rolex sport watches are extremely difficult to find at an AD right now and if you find one you are going to pay a premium. If you go used, maybe a different story but again you will pay a premium right now. The Speedy Pro is so comfortable on wrist and great value for dollar. You cannot go wrong. I purchased a Speedy Pro late last year and find I am wearing it more than may Rolex SD4000 Ceramic.

How about a white face Speedy ‘57 to add a bit of contrast to the 2 black dials?

bobs100 likes this.

The speedmasters would be a classic choice personally I would wear it only on a bracelet but I’ve seen guys pull it off on leather strap or natos and it looks very casual with a touch of class.
    If you don’t want a watch to comepete with your current two watches I suggest you get a “vacation watch”? Like an Orange Bezel Planet Ocean when you’re by/in the water.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information