Thoughts: Service Speedy And Sell, Or Just Sell As It Is? - Page 3
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Thoughts: Service Speedy And Sell, Or Just Sell As It Is?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Thoughts: Service Speedy And Sell, Or Just Sell As It Is?

As someone who recently bought one that was (supposedly) serviced not long ago, I can appreciate that it was, and was also a factor in my purchasing decision, but if you’re upfront about it needing service and pricing accordingly you’re a step ahead of many who just list it without information or knowledge of it’s been done or will need it.

I say “supposedly” because I have yet to get it to confirm that it was, and that the serial number matches the receipt shown.

From a selling perspective, you probably won’t get a return on the money put into it to service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.
    _Harrison

As a buyer, I'd say it depends on whether there are major issues or indications that it needs a service.

For instance, if the chrono hands don't reset correctly, or if there's lume flaking from the hands, I'd skip an un-serviced watch unless the price was low enough that I could have it serviced and still be in the market price ballpark.

If everything's running correctly, but it's just overdue, then it makes sense to sell it as is.
    fskywalker likes this.

As long as you are honest about the condition of the watch and price accordingly buyer will be happy to buy it from you. There will be times when the buyer will ask you to split the service cost, which I think it's around $750?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I totally disagree with this, but most forum people do not trust or value any sort of service if it's not with their own watchmaker.

If its working well, do not service it if the plan is to sell. You should only service if you plan on using it for a while. Else, just tell the buyer that it is keeping good time but might need service. If I were a buyer, I don't think I would do justice to your service cost when buying used as I might want to get it done from some source I prefer. In the alternative, you can offer to service the watch at buyers (additional) cost if buyer wishes to get it serviced (assuming it is not working fine).
    GTTIME and fskywalker like this.

I guess I’ll take the opposing view I would service it through OMEGA and provide the additional warranty card and service receipt showing that it was serviced.

If the watch is running that’s one thing but if there is some unknown issue it’s hard to know if the cost of a regular service will cover it or not so as a buyer I feel you’re taking on more risk if left unserviced.

That said selling with the note that it needs a service is perfectly acceptable and probably preferable to some.

Good luck with the sale.
    fskywalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 8100 RPM View Post
    You should just sell it as is as you probably will not recover the cost of the service.
    This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Francisco
    Ω 2535.80.00 / 3592.50.00 / 2231.50 / 168.022 / 2503.52
    ♛ 16610 / 18239

If you service it, bring it up as a selling point. If not, don't mention servicing at all.
    fskywalker likes this.

Dan,
    Can’t you give us some idea of why you’re selling? I mean you just bought the thing like a month ago and seemed so stoked. I mean if it’s to fund another purchase that would make total sense. Happened to me recently. Bought a nice Longines and then decided if I didn’t get a Rolex grail now I’d never be able to afford it. So out went the Longines unfortunately.
    But to answer your question, I recall you saying that you got a great deal on it. That means you could probably sell it without losing much. You might be able to sell it for more if you get it serviced, but will it compensate the cost of the service and the hassle, while also making you some money? Doubt it.
    fskywalker likes this.

If there were two speedies, same model and same year and similar condition, available...
    The first one with a price of $3,500 and no mention of service at all in the advert. The second priced at $4,000 and the seller mentions they have recently serviced it.

I reckon the vast majority will always go for the cheaper one and get it serviced themselves at some stage.
    Don't service it, sell as is.
    fskywalker likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information