Thoughts on Speedmaster 3594.50 “Replica”
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zach.A
  • 1 Post By Iowa_Watchman

Thread: Thoughts on Speedmaster 3594.50 “Replica”

Thoughts on Speedmaster 3594.50 “Replica”

Hey WUS.
    I’m drilling down into which model my first manual wind Speedy will be. I’m drawn to the broad arrow of the 3594.50 and the movement. Does anyone out there have any feedback?

Regards,
    Zach

Re: Thoughts on Speedmaster 3594.50 “Replica”

I've owned both the 3594 and the standard Pro (currently own the standard). Things I like about the 3594 are the steel bezel and the applied logo. I'm neutral on the broad arrow hands, but like them more than I dislike them. Some of them can be prone to corrosion for some reason. The thing I most didn't like about the 3594 is the grey dial compared to the black of standard Pro.

I will say I think the steel bezel looks best with straps compared to the bracelet. On the bracelet it looks like a lot of metal whereas the black bezel of the standard Pro offers a little contrast. I actually like the steel bezel so much I've considered swapping it out on my standard Pro and having the best of both worlds.

Hope that helps!
    Instagram: @watchonmywrist

the hands seem to corrode more than 50% of the time. I like that you can pick up a prof dial and hands and change up the look for the same price as buying a "normal" speedy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Watchman View Post
    I've owned both the 3594 and the standard Pro (currently own the standard). Things I like about the 3594 are the steel bezel and the applied logo. I'm neutral on the broad arrow hands, but like them more than I dislike them. Some of them can be prone to corrosion for some reason. The thing I most didn't like about the 3594 is the grey dial compared to the black of standard Pro.

I will say I think the steel bezel looks best with straps compared to the bracelet. On the bracelet it looks like a lot of metal whereas the black bezel of the standard Pro offers a little contrast. I actually like the steel bezel so much I've considered swapping it out on my standard Pro and having the best of both worlds.

Hope that helps!
    Good choices, I currently own both and have for a while. Each has its own personality. I agree that the “Replica” looks best on a strap due to the steel bezel. After 10 years of ownership the hands on mine still look fine, although I haven’t gotten a loupe out to study the hands closely or maybe I just got a good hand-set 😅

I also agree that the Standard Speedy looks good on either a strap or the bracelet. It’s one of the most versatile and comfortable watches I’ve ever owned. And one of the few watches that I have not sold or flipped at some point in time.

Either one model is a good one to own. Finding someone to service the 1861 (861) movement is not overly difficult, either caliber being well known and having been in the market place for a lengthy time. The movement is robust and dependable, at least in my humble (amateur) opinion.

As has been said by others, buy the one that speaks to you and enjoy it.

Take care, Hector

I have never been a big fan of the Speedy, but any that have caught my eye have had the broad arrow hands. Presumably that suggests if you want a watch that looks like the classic Speedy don’t go for the broad arrow version. Good luck with your decision and show us what you decide.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa_Watchman View Post

Hope that helps!
    Thanks!
    I did not realize the corrosion issue with the hands. It likely won’t be an issue as I live in a dry desert area, but definitely presents food for thought. Also a very valid point about the steel bezel. I hadn’t thought about it but it’s combination with the steel hands I believe are what drew me in initially.
    I appreciate the feedback from an someone intimate with the watch.
    Cheers!
    Iowa_Watchman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach.A View Post
    Thanks!
    I did not realize the corrosion issue with the hands. It likely won’t be an issue as I live in a dry desert area, but definitely presents food for thought. Also a very valid point about the steel bezel. I hadn’t thought about it but it’s combination with the steel hands I believe are what drew me in initially.
    I appreciate the feedback from an someone intimate with the watch.
    Cheers!
    Here's a comparison.Name:  IMG_20190525_131223_090.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  76.1 KBName:  IMG_20180822_084341_331.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  143.3 KB

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Zach.A likes this.
    Instagram: @watchonmywrist

Quote Originally Posted by hm1time View Post
    Good choices, I currently own both and have for a while. Each has its own personality. I agree that the “Replica” looks best on a strap due to the steel bezel. After 10 years of ownership the hands on mine still look fine, although I haven’t gotten a loupe out to study the hands closely or maybe I just got a good hand-set

I also agree that the Standard Speedy looks good on either a strap or the bracelet. It’s one of the most versatile and comfortable watches I’ve ever owned. And one of the few watches that I have not sold or flipped at some point in time.

Either one model is a good one to own. Finding someone to service the 1861 (861) movement is not overly difficult, either caliber being well known and having been in the market place for a lengthy time. The movement is robust and dependable, at least in my humble (amateur) opinion.

As has been said by others, buy the one that speaks to you and enjoy it.

Take care, Hector
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Hector!
    Initially I was drawn to Speedy family by the Mark IV (blasphemy I know) but after diving into the world of Speedmasters decided that I needed to do it right and own a manual wind and took consideration for all automatics off the table. For me at this point it’s an 861 or bust just for the history, and as to your point, the serviceability.

I really appreciate the feedback about the straps. I’m not a big fan of steel bands to begin with so your comment might actually move the “Replica” up in my books for that reason.

Warm Regards,
    Zach

beautiful watch! love the brown strap on the professional

Thread Information