Three technical dials
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kll

Thread: Three technical dials

kll

Three technical dials

I have a soft spot for the "technical" dials on the Geneve's/Seamaster de Ville's from the early sixties. I'm not sure "technical" is technically correct, though Omega refers to one of these at least as Zifferblatt Technic here:

[Image linked from http://www.old-omegas.com]

In any case, I have three of these and two just came back from the watchmaker. The last one needs some more serious work, but I thought I'd share some pics anyway.

First is an ST 131.019 geneve with the wonderful cal 601 handwound movement. As you can see from the picture below, the dial is very similar to the Seamaster 600 (135.011) shown above, though mine has an even simpler dial (which is one of the things I like about these watches).

Next up is a "proper" seamaster ST 166.002 with the (also lovely) automatic 562 movement. As you can see, this one shares some features with the Geneve above in terms of its dial layout. Note, however, the two dots at the 12 o'clock marker similar to those seen on the speedmasters.

Finally, I picked this one up in a pretty beat up condition and haven't sent it off for mending yet. It's a Seamaster 600 (ST 135.011, cal 601) like the one in the ad above. But it has the speedie-like dial that's given it its nickname Speedmaster Companion. It's certainly not a perfect example, but I'll still be happy once I get a new crown and crystal on it - and replace the movement with a much better looking 601 that I have in my drawer.

I am astonished by the large amount of dial variations Omega made to watches in these series. Some are quite dressy, others more flashy and some quite simple. If you have other examples of these series, please feel free to post here.

Thanks for looking.
    MH434 likes this.

Re: Three technical dials

congrats on your three finds!
    check out Joe K.'s "speedy companion" a beautiful watch!

Omega speedmaster Companion 135.011
    Last edited by joe band; October 8th, 2010 at 07:48.

Quote Originally Posted by joe band View Post
    check out Joe K.'s "speedy companion" a beautiful watch!

Omega speedmaster Companion 135.011
    oh yeah. I remember that thread. Nice dials. understated form over function. Dial with the red touch is great. I could see getting addicted to collecting variations of these
    Last edited by DaBaeker; October 9th, 2010 at 00:27.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

kll

Thanks guys.

I first saw the speedie companion on a dealers website and immediately fell in love. The price, however, was crazy. I then found JoeK's page and thought that I would be able to source a cheaper one with a bit of patience.

I then missed a speedie companion on eBay (being sold by Watchco, but I only saw it after the auction ended). I also missed this white-dialed version of my 166.002 above.

I then found the first two in my post above; movements were in pretty good condition, but needed servicing. Then, I sort of gave up not looking very hard for the companion. And then the last one came up pretty soon thereafter and I jumped quickly.

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

Thats a beauty and will clean up great Now I have to revise my web page ..... Its the 6th one i have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kll View Post

I am astonished by the large amount of dial variations Omega made to watches in these series. Some are quite dressy, others more flashy and some quite simple. If you have other examples of these series, please feel free to post here.

Thanks for looking.
    Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

kll

Thanks!

These almost make it:

The first one has a cross-hair and Geneve Automatic across the dial (though the back says seamaster). I don't know what's on the inside, but I'd venture to guess something like a cal 55x.

Vintage Omega Seamaster Geneve Automatic Watch - eBay (item 220672175553 end time Sep-27-10 12:32:53 PDT)

The second one is badly faded, has an applied logo and seamaster on the dial. But again close. It's a cal 552 ST 165.002.

OMEGA 1960's Seamaster Automatic Steel Men's Wristwatch - eBay (item 200525081811 end time Oct-05-10 17:42:06 PDT)

Finally, here is a womans watch. It's a cal 681.

VINTAGE 60s RARE GREY DIAL LADIES OMEGA SEAMASTER wBAND - eBay (item 140461171428 end time Oct-03-10 20:56:07 PDT)

They are beautiful. In some ways the simplicity is even nicer than the Speedy itself! Lovely choice to collect!
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

I have this watch, a 166.002 - 565 movement. So my question is ... is my watch considered a Speedmaster Companion, or is only the 135.001 dubbed a Companion? That is, if it looks like a Speedmaster Pro (Technic ?) but in the seamaster line, is it a "companion"?

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 2443
Size:  90.2 KB

pretty interesting thread, thanks for sharing
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info you've collected.

I have another one of these. 166.002, cal. 565, 1967 (1966?)
    Name:  omega.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  78.2 KB

Thread Information