Ticking sound speeding up when setting the time on Speedmaster
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Reynold
  • 4 Post By Archer
  • 2 Post By Archer

Thread: Ticking sound speeding up when setting the time on Speedmaster

Ticking sound speeding up when setting the time on Speedmaster

Hi all!

I got a Speedmaster (hesalite) a couple weeks ago. I noticed that when I'm setting the time on it, the ticking (beat per second) is speeding up and then slowing down when I let go of the crown. (At least the ticking sound is going faster) It's speeding up as I turn the crown to set the time. Then it's fine. Is this suppose to happen? The watch is keeping good time. (Although I do not own a timegrapher. I'm crazy enough as it is) Is this some quirks or should I be worried? Couldn't find anything online.

Thank you!

Re: Ticking sound speeding up when setting the time on Speedmaster

I noticed about this as well. I'm a bit ocd about my watch. After i set the time, i found that the watch become around 2s faster before setting the time forward. I think the same thing occured to mine as well
    Jncky likes this.
    Orient Star WZ0291DK JDM
    Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300M 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" 311.30.42.30.01.006

This is because the tension on the cannon pinion is possibly a little too much. The cannon pinion slips when you set the time, but there is friction there that essentially adds torque to the wheel train and increases balance amplitudes to the pint the watch runs a bit faster when you move the hands forward. It may also cause the watch torun backwards when you are moving the hands back in time, which is something you don’t want to happen.

So one thing is that there’s more load added to the wheel train when the cannon pinion is just breaking free, so moving the hands quickly and breaking it free right away will minimize this effect compared to slowly moving the hands. You may find that after you move the hands around a bit they loosen up and this doesn’t happen any longer.

In the end it’s not a huge issue for the watch, provided the watch doesn’t run backwards.

Cheers, Al

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    This is because the tension on the cannon pinion is possibly a little too much. The cannon pinion slips when you set the time, but there is friction there that essentially adds torque to the wheel train and increases balance amplitudes to the pint the watch runs a bit faster when you move the hands forward. It may also cause the watch torun backwards when you are moving the hands back in time, which is something you don’t want to happen.

So one thing is that there’s more load added to the wheel train when the cannon pinion is just breaking free, so moving the hands quickly and breaking it free right away will minimize this effect compared to slowly moving the hands. You may find that after you move the hands around a bit they loosen up and this doesn’t happen any longer.

In the end it’s not a huge issue for the watch, provided the watch doesn’t run backwards.

Cheers, Al
    Wow, thank you for the answer Mr. Archer!

Still, this kind of worries me. Watches running backwards... Does that mean that I should always set the time by turning the hands clockwise? To avoid the 'chance' of making any damage? Is there a 'danger' to try to turn the hand counter clockwise? I should had this is a new watch from the AD. Should this be considered an 'issue' or a 'quirck'?

So many questions... Thank you so much for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jncky View Post
    Wow, thank you for the answer Mr. Archer!

Still, this kind of worries me. Watches running backwards... Does that mean that I should always set the time by turning the hands clockwise? To avoid the 'chance' of making any damage? Is there a 'danger' to try to turn the hand counter clockwise? I should had this is a new watch from the AD. Should this be considered an 'issue' or a 'quirck'?

So many questions... Thank you so much for the insight!
    This came up on another forum when someone was asking about the "back hacking" to sync the time, so I made a quick video:

So what you don't want is the seconds hand at 9 to run backwards as it does in this video above. The only way I can make my watch do this is to let it run down a fair bit, and really slowly turn the hands backwards. If I turn the hands backwards quickly, the seconds hand doesn't run backwards.

You don't always have to turn the hands CW, but if you want to be sure the watch doesn't run backwards that's one way of ensuring that.

The cannon pion needs to have friction to drive the hands, so there's nothing really "wrong" with the watch. It's just something you need to be aware of in terms of not letting the watch run backwards.

Cheers, Al
    MaxIcon and Jncky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    This came up on another forum when someone was asking about the "back hacking" to sync the time, so I made a quick video:

So what you don't want is the seconds hand at 9 to run backwards as it does in this video above. The only way I can make my watch do this is to let it run down a fair bit, and really slowly turn the hands backwards. If I turn the hands backwards quickly, the seconds hand doesn't run backwards.

You don't always have to turn the hands CW, but if you want to be sure the watch doesn't run backwards that's one way of ensuring that.

The cannon pion needs to have friction to drive the hands, so there's nothing really "wrong" with the watch. It's just something you need to be aware of in terms of not letting the watch run backwards.

Cheers, Al
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

I'm guessing doing this will cause damage in the long term. I have no idea if I ever made the watch do this. If it was, wasn't for long...

Thread Information