A Tough Decision - Page 2
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: A Tough Decision

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: A Tough Decision

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    The only issue I can see with that PO is the 2500c movement. However as you've had it this long, it's likely you got a good one
    I know you had bad luck but I own three 2500c Planet Oceans and while two have been serviced and the upgraded escapement wheel Installed they are rock solid. The watches both lasted over 5 years before servicing and have been perfect another 5. Yes all three are over 10 years old. One, the QOS LE sat for almost a decade and has never been serviced they are all keeping better time than the 8500, 9300 and 9904 movements as well as the two Rolex 3235 movements.

TLDR: the 2500c movement is a great movement that does have an issue but with the replacement escapement wheel it’s robust and accurate.
    teeritz likes this.

Banned

It's really a tough decision if you ask me but i would go for the PO it's far more appealing to the eye.
    ProjectQuattro likes this.

I would keep the PO. Seems like the one that "talks" to you the most. That and you haven't had any issues with the C movement, looks like its a good one. However, if you decide to keep the Rolex, I would be happy to give it a good home :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Another vote for the PO. A great watch and much harder to replace than the Sub and if you did it wouldn’t carry the same memories.
    cybercat likes this.

My opinion would be keep the PO. Just for the fact that it would be a lot more difficult to replace and more unique than the Sub. Pick up another Sub later when you're ready.

TSC

You’re asking which one you should keep in an ‘OMEGA’ forum?
    GTTIME and v1triol like this.

Keep in mind you're in the Omega neighborhood of the forum when judging the advice :P

I'd keep the sub, which sounds like it wears better on you anyway. The 14060 no date is THE model to own, IMO, if not a bit "generic" of a choice, if that bothers you. I don't think there's anything wrong w/ the PO, but for me the 14060 is the perfect bridge from vintage to modern Rolex, in the most iconic and quintessential dive watch ever made - which deserves to remain so. Comparing tech I've more oftentimes than not found to be not a good reason to choose one watch over another (of course this is not always true, but I've seen it used too many times to justify a 'nonpopular' watch over an iconic/truly special one). Rolex doesn't do AR on purpose, because they like the way the glint looks, and things like ceramic dials (which I don't care for) and other technological advancements either matter to you, or they don't. For me, they don't, unless it adds up to an aesthetic or design difference that affects the whole feel of the watch in a way that I like. The ceramic sub, for example, was a step back in aesthetic design in my opinion, though clearly technologically better. But those are all my personal preferences. I think you have to decide which one actually makes you the happiest, Marie Kondo style.

Honestly, everything TheGent said, I wish I said myself. Especially this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    So what to conclude? For me it’s down to head and heart. What does your head want, what does your heart want? When it comes to luxury items, as I said at a the beginning of this very long post(!), it’s a subjective not objective thing. After all, a few £‘s will buy a more accurate and more robust watch than either of these. So ultimately you are buying the brand and everything that comes with it. And for me personally I would have to choose the 14060.
    Last edited by d4nimal; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:55. Reason: spelling is hrd

That’s a tough choice you have there Dan. My choices have predominantly been made on the aesthetics of the watches, but I have to admit the romantic side (if that makes sense) of watchmaking has influenced me. I have not been one to have to have an iconic watch of any brand (despite how many times I’ve tried on a Speedy for example or numerous Panerai) so not generally liking the Rolex aesthetics means I don’t have that impetus. However, you like many others clearly do and have spent a long time waiting to find ‘the one for you’. This really muddies the waters. Purely on aesthetics therefore if it was me I would go with the Omega and it is a relatively unique watch that you may not find again easily in the future and you have stuck with it through numerous life events and watches. However, there must be a reason why you searched so long for that Rolex and, depending on the situation prompting the question, it might be the one to take you onward and upward. Good luck!

Nigel
    cybercat likes this.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Wow Dan, that's really tough.

Firstly, let me begin by saying that I hope this new life situation is a good one, and you're hand is not being forced by bad circumstances. There's no need to share, I just want to wish you good luck.

Now, to the topic at hand...

I'm sure we've all communicated, through different channels, with people we've never met. In our minds we create a visual image of that person. An image that springs to mind when we communicate or think of that person. When I think of you, Dan, an image of your LM Planet Planet Ocean springs to mind. To me it has come to represent you...and you it.

I've been on WUS for coming up on 10 years now. In that time I've known you covet, purchase, and flip many watches. The one constant has always been YOUR PO. That in itself says more than we ever could.

No doubt, the Sub is a classic watch...that you will have to pay dearly to replace in the future. However, it IS irreplaceable.

YOUR PO on the other hand is something you purchased brand new from an AD. Not only have you created a lot of memories with YOUR PO, but it's also a very limited edition (by OMEGA standards). Don't get me wrong, it's still replaceable if you're patient and look hard enough. However, you have to remember that you'll be replacing it with someone else's watch. You might have a PO back, but it won't be YOUR PO.

As you say, the decision is ultimately up to you. You have to decide what is more important to you and how you're going to define value. My recommendation to you is to hang onto YOUR PO. You might even find comfort in it, and the memories you've created, at this time of transition.

Best of luck with your decision, Dan. I hope all else is well.

René
    d4nimal, GTTIME, EightEyes and 3 others like this.
    Citizen Navihawk
    Momentum Supernova, Titan II (GONE--gifted to a friend's son), Aquamatic II (Blue Dial)
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch (ref 310.30.42.30.01.005), Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer (ref 233.30.41.21.01.001)
    Seiko SKX007 (GONE--gifted to my uncle)
    Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman (Unitas 6498), Nav. B-Chrono II DLC (ETA Valjoux 7750)(SOLD), Nav. B-Uhr II (Unitas 6497)(SOLD), Ocean One Vintage (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD), Ocean One Vintage Red (ETA 2824-2) (SOLD)

I think that PO looks great! Very cool to have purchased it originally and had it this long. Seems like it’s been a great watch for you, and I aways thought the Liquid Metal was a stunner.

While I do like Rolex, I’m personally not a fan of Mercedes hands on the Sub. I have previously chosen both Tudor and Omega over Rolex for my diver, and would do so again.

So, I say stick with your first love and keep the Planet Ocean. As others have mentioned, you won’t be able to replace it if you flip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast