Tough, just not quite that tough
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Tough, just not quite that tough

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tough, just not quite that tough

I know the Moonwatch has its reputation by being flight certified - surviving a bunch of torture tests by NASA. Unfortunately it did not survive my own "test."

Name:  speedmaster crash.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  141.1 KB

A couple weeks ago I crashed my motorcycle on the highway after hitting the base of a wobbly construction barrel that had made its way into the left lane. It popped up from under the car in front of me and I had nowhere to go but over it - at about 70mph or so. A quick one-two tank slapper ensued which dumped the bike on its right side along with me. I rolled countless times and ended up in the right lane. Fortunately I did not hit anything other than the ground, and nothing hit me. It wasn't until I limped into the ambulance to check the time did I see that my Speedmaster was pretty much wrecked.

I'd only had it a little over 3 months. I tried one on over a decade ago, but it was out of reach. I'd never actually heard of Omega before that, but I was hooked. I decided to buy myself one for my 39th birthday. I put it on a a cordovan strap a little over a month ago and really liked it.

I took it to my watchmaker as sort of a joke to see what he could do with it. I think it's pretty much a lost cause. Missing crystal, hands, non-running, and a terribly scratched case. Two screws fell out when the caseback was removed, and the dial almost wants to fall out of the case when inverted.

Name:  20190705_105837.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  1.89 MB

I'll see if homeowner's insurance company would cover a situation like this. Sad, but I know things could have been a lot worse.

Re: Tough, just not quite that tough

Sorry to hear. This is a case where jewelry insurance is good to have on a piece like this to cover accidental damage. I used to ride myself a few years ago but would always leave my more expensive pieces at home when riding. I had a Victorinox Chrono Classic quartz back then when I needed to wear something nicer looking that wasn't too expensive.

B79

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you were able to limp to ambo and check the time- not many can do that after a spill at that speed!

Good luck with your Speedy (repaired or replaced).

Edit: I’m impressed the springbars held up- I would have expected the watch to separate from the strap after being grated on the road.
    trappster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1. As a rider myself I’m glad you Seem ok, thats a really bad situation, sounds like not much you could have done once the cone appeared.

2. As a Omega owner its sad to see the watch like like get ruined, but ultimately its just a group of metal parts and can be replaced. On the brightside it looks like it took quite a beating, and may have sacrificed a little bit of the road rash that your hand and wrist area may have endured? Also that watch may now have more true history than any other watch on this forum!

3. Finally as a G-Shock owner I am obliged to say a G would likely not only have survived this ordeal but would have just laughed, and been proud of its new scars. Sorry could not resist, plus they say laughter is the best medicine.

take care and hope you recover from any injures quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by beatle View Post
    I know the Moonwatch has its reputation by being flight certified - surviving a bunch of torture tests by NASA. Unfortunately it did not survive my own "test."

Name:  speedmaster crash.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  141.1 KB

A couple weeks ago I crashed my motorcycle on the highway after hitting the base of a wobbly construction barrel that had made its way into the left lane. It popped up from under the car in front of me and I had nowhere to go but over it - at about 70mph or so. A quick one-two tank slapper ensued which dumped the bike on its right side along with me. I rolled countless times and ended up in the right lane. Fortunately I did not hit anything other than the ground, and nothing hit me. It wasn't until I limped into the ambulance to check the time did I see that my Speedmaster was pretty much wrecked.

I'd only had it a little over 3 months. I tried one on over a decade ago, but it was out of reach. I'd never actually heard of Omega before that, but I was hooked. I decided to buy myself one for my 39th birthday. I put it on a a cordovan strap a little over a month ago and really liked it.

I took it to my watchmaker as sort of a joke to see what he could do with it. I think it's pretty much a lost cause. Missing crystal, hands, non-running, and a terribly scratched case. Two screws fell out when the caseback was removed, and the dial almost wants to fall out of the case when inverted.

Name:  20190705_105837.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  1.89 MB

I'll see if homeowner's insurance company would cover a situation like this. Sad, but I know things could have been a lot worse.
    ljb187 likes this.
    Aramar “Arctic Ocean II”
    Casio G-Shock GW-M500A
    Hamilton circa 194x-1951 (was my Great Grandfathers watch)
    Junghans 41-4318
    OMEGA “Speedmaster” Auto(Panda Dial) ref. 178.0066
    Orient Star “Standard Date” WZ0061DV. (Honestly my favorite even over the OMEGA)
    Seiko SKX007J 2018
    Seiko “Turtle” SRP777
    Wenger “Black Knight” chrono 443153

Glad you're okay.

The watch doesn't seem like a total loss. The damage, relatively speaking, isn't that bad. Looks like it needs a full service (all the hands/crystal/pusher/crown is included) and a replacement of the dial and bezel. The remaining deep gouges on the case could be fixed by laser welding. Of course, this is going to cost $$$$, but it's not like it's a write-off.

What you're describing with the dial looking like it wants to fall out when inverted is totally normal. The entire movement is pretty much held on by the crown stem.
    TJ Boogie likes this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised by the spring bars as well. I've had other watches pop them off after just flexing my wrist.

I commute to work almost every day, so I just "run what I brung" when going to work. On the occasional joyride, I generally take a beater with me.

My first grail watch around the age of 8 was a G Shock, the DW5000C. It was so cool and it had a light in it. I'm actually wearing my DW5600E today as I recover. It's still one of my favorites. I am not moving around enough these days for an automatic!

I was wearing gear (except kevlar pants) that day, so I didn't get too torn up above the waist, but my right wrist (where I wear my watch) fared a bit better than my left. My right knee, however, is an example of why you should wear ALL of your gear all the time...

The movement looks pretty good - it's missing one case screw and one bridge screw, and those are not a big deal. The balance spring is a little jacked up, but should be easily reshaped. May need a new chronograph wheel...

The dial and hands would need replacing, but the case is the big one. Looks like there is a good deal of damage to the front where the bezel attaches, so not sure if it could be salvaged. The start/stop pusher also looks like it might be bent at a different angle (away from the front of the case) but that could just be the photo.

I once restored a Speedmaster that had been run over by a car, and had some pretty serious damage.

After servicing the movement:

Installing the hands:

Done:

I've also brought back a few that were flooded and full of rust, so you would be surprised what can be restored.

Rusty example in a slide show format...

Don't give up on it just yet!

Cheers, Al

Hey! Omega said your Speedy is flight certified! They never said it was crash certified!
    shelfcompact likes this.

Man, that stinks! Glad you're on the mend and otherwise okay. Maybe your Speedy can be saved. If so, you'll have some experiences tied up with it. If not, see if you can get an insurance settlement and buy another.

If the movement, pusher, and hands can be salvaged, I'd replace the crystal and leave the case as is. That's definitely a conversation starter right there; maybe even a badge of honor (crashed, but was able to walk away from it).

Besides...chicks dig scars. *ducks and covers*

Regards,
    Alysandir
    KiwiWomble and TJ Boogie like this.
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125