UK Buying Advice

Thread: UK Buying Advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK Buying Advice

I have never owned an expensive watch - my current watch is a basic Seiko Chrono which cost c £100.

I am seriosly considering buying an omega watch for my 50th birthday. I have short-listed 3 - Speedmaster Date, Seamaster Planet Ocean (42in), or Seamaster Aqua-Terra (mid-size). I have a very small wrist (6.25 inch) so not sure about the larger watches. Any views?

I work in London - so there are plenty of ADs but understand it can be v.difficult to get a reasonable discount. I noticed there is a company on the internet (Tag Watches) which provide a full international guarantee with a warranty card stamped by an authorised dealer. Discounts are typically c20% for Omega watches. I am fairly tempted to go this route, but read that internet purchases are best avoided.
    Interested to know if anyone has used this company.

Best wishes

Andy

Re: UK Buying Advice

I can't speak for the viability of Tag Watches as I have never used them. I prefer to buy my watches in person from an AD. You should be able get a 10-15% discount from an Omega AD just by haggling. 20% is achievable but more difficult. There is also the sales forum on this site where you are likely to pick up a well looked after timepiece from a fellow enthusiast.

Oh, and if you are fortunate enough to be flying out of one of London's major airports you will make an immediate saving of 17.5%, even if flying within the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySedg View Post
    I have never owned an expensive watch - my current watch is a basic Seiko Chrono which cost c £100.

I am seriosly considering buying an omega watch for my 50th birthday. I have short-listed 3 - Speedmaster Date, Seamaster Planet Ocean (42in), or Seamaster Aqua-Terra (mid-size). I have a very small wrist (6.25 inch) so not sure about the larger watches. Any views?

I work in London - so there are plenty of ADs but understand it can be v.difficult to get a reasonable discount. I noticed there is a company on the internet (Tag Watches) which provide a full international guarantee with a warranty card stamped by an authorised dealer. Discounts are typically c20% for Omega watches. I am fairly tempted to go this route, but read that internet purchases are best avoided.
    Interested to know if anyone has used this company.

Best wishes

Andy
    Hi Andy,

First off welcome to this fantastic forum I've only been using it for a couple of months. but you won't meet a more helpful bunch of people!

Great choice of watches - I would choose the PO 42, it is a fair size so what you are best of doing is getting out there and trying them on - see which you feel more comfortable with and taking from there. Whatever you decide one things for sure you will be getting a beautiful watch.

As for buying there are a few companies similar to tag watches (grey dealers), I have spoken to watchfinder.co.uk on numerous occasions but never actually bought form them, but whenever I have chatted to them they are very knowledgable and helpful there is also a web company called precisiontime.co.uk who operate in the same way. Watchfinder were given a big write up in the Sunday Times about 2 years ago as the no1 place to buy online including warranty papers etc. so I would probably opt for them if I was buying in the UK. Saying that some people on here have got deals form high street AD's depends how ballsy you are!!

Hope this helps

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Andy
    50th birthday present? Have you thought about the 50th anniversary Speedy?

I have sent you a PM of where i got 15% off from UK high street AD.

All I can say is think carefully about the size you get. It might seem like a monster when you try it on in the shop but once youve had it a few days you might regret getting a smaller watch, especially a mid size. I promise you, you will get used to the size within days.. Good luck, enjoy your new watch. As to price, ive heard london ADs are notoriously tight with their discounts, can you get out of london? you should get a result there..

Quote Originally Posted by thx67 View Post
    All I can say is think carefully about the size you get. It might seem like a monster when you try it on in the shop but once youve had it a few days you might regret getting a smaller watch, especially a mid size. I promise you, you will get used to the size within days.. Good luck, enjoy your new watch. As to price, ive heard london ADs are notoriously tight with their discounts, can you get out of london? you should get a result there..
    Spot on, London AD's are squeaky

Hi Andy,

I have a 6.5 inch wrist and it's rather flat, to boot! That allows a slightly larger watch to look decent compared to a more round 6.5 in wrist. That said, I've drawn the line at 42mm for me. Too much lug overhang with a 45mm watch even considering the Omega's nicely turned down lugs. In the final analysis, however, what you think is best for you is best for you!

Re: your 50th B-day. First, Buon Compleano! Consider an Omega 50th anniversary model. Our 50th wedding anniversary was in August, so this is residing here, now. (Tryin' my best to sell these, Ryan)

RΩGER

Ωmega SeM Aqua Terra Ref: 231.10.42.21.06.001
    Ωmega SpMP Moonwatch Ref: 3570.50
    Ωmega Black Dial SeMP Ref: 2254.50
    Ωmega "Electric Blue" SeMP Ref: 2255.80
    Ωmega BA Chrono 1957 Ref: 321.10.42.50.02.001
    MKII LRRP01-1 UTC Capstone Bezel
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47K1

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post

(Tryin' my best to sell these, Ryan)

And doing a fine job may I add Roger!!! I think this will be my next one after the smp chono and PO, I think it looks great and I need a white face to mix things up a bit!! Although I haven't seen it in the flesh yet......must avoid it for a month or 12 or I'll go bankrupt

I hope you get your watch soon for your 50th + Christmas + Omega 50th anniversary watch. My advice would also be to go to an AD and to try on a watch and ask as much as you can about it. Good luck and I am certain you will get a watch soon and wear it for many years to come.
    Current Status:
    IWC 3717-01
    Breitling Emergency E56121.1
    Stowa Fliegeur (Airman) non-logo COSC
    G-Shock Frogman Brazilian Addict GW-200cf-7jf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information