Vintage Speedmaster guidance
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Vintage Speedmaster guidance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I've had my eyes on some vintage speedmasters, thinking maybe I would look for a birth year watch of 1976 but not wanting a birth year watch so badly that I would either spend the premium to get one in great condition or get one that was more beat up than what I was interested in.

For some reason when I try on a Speedmaster, the new ones just don't do it for me with their crisp white on the dial. Then I try on one that has the tritium that has patina'd and I have a completely different experience with the watch.

Here's a photo of one on my wrist, but that's not the one I'm inquiring about. These other two photos are a serial 48.26m, dating the watch to the middle of 1991.

For those of you who know a whole lot more about this than I do, how does the watch look to you, cosmetically, for its age? I mean it looks really good to me, but I don't know what to be looking for with the lugs, being over finished or polished, the correctness of the dial, hands, bezel, Etc.

I'd be interested in your take on this example as well as what you think the fair market price would be for this specific one. Again, I'm not referring to the one that's on my wrist shot, that's just an example to see the watch on my wrist, but the other two photos in question.

Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Re: Vintage Speedmaster guidance

That's, of course, just my opinion, but I don't get it when the dial and the arrows are of different vintage, even more in the case of the Speedmaster, with so much snow-white paint all around. Add to this that faded tritium is only aesthetics but lost its real use value and, for me, it's a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by jmnav View Post
    That's, of course, just my opinion, but I don't get it when the dial and the arrows are of different vintage, even more in the case of the Speedmaster, with so much snow-white paint all around. Add to this that faded tritium is only aesthetics but lost its real use value and, for me, it's a no-no.
    Are you saying that the hands on this specific example might be replacement hands that don't match the colorway of the patina of the indices, or are you just saying that you don't prefer that look kind of aesthetically, because the tritium doesn't glow anymore and the hands don't always match look up the Indices?

Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 41Mets View Post
    Are you saying that the hands on this specific example might be replacement hands that don't match the colorway of the patina of the indices, or are you just saying that you don't prefer that look kind of aesthetically, because the tritium doesn't glow anymore and the hands don't always match look up the Indices?

It’s not uncommon for the dials and hands of speedmasters to age at different rates. Don’t know why, but it’s not some anomaly for the aging of the tritium on each to not match exactly. Here’s my all original 3590.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    41Mets likes this.
    Instagram: @ryanwearswatches

Tritium > Modern but of course the right answer is multiple Speedies
    41Mets and rfortson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPatrick View Post
    Don’t know why, but it’s not some anomaly for the aging of the tritium on each to not match exactly.
    It possibly has to do with the fact that dials and hands are made at different times and/or different factories, and when the original watchmaker/assembler was reaching into the parts bins to select them, they were from slightly different batches.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
    It possibly has to do with the fact that dials and hands are made at different times and/or different factories, and when the original watchmaker/assembler was reaching into the parts bins to select them, they were from slightly different batches.
    Yea but generally speaking the indices looks older than the hand sets on these tritium Speedies.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanPatrick View Post
    It’s not uncommon for the dials and hands of speedmasters to age at different rates. Don’t know why, but it’s not some anomaly for the aging of the tritium on each to not match exactly. Here’s my all original 3590.50.

Off topic, but is that a Barton band?

How do you like it with the Speedy? Just ordered one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by trappster View Post
    Off topic, but is that a Barton band?

How do you like it with the Speedy? Just ordered one myself.
    It is. I really like Barton’s Elite rubber straps, the canvas aren’t as nice as other canvas straps I’ve owned, but i really like the quick release spring bars. They are worth what they charge.

trappster likes this.
    Instagram: @ryanwearswatches

Quote Originally Posted by 41Mets View Post
    Both. Mind you, I'm no expert, but the difference in color seems too large for those hands to be the original ones and, well, I don't think I like that color mismatch either.
    41Mets likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information