What can you tell me about this 1960s Omega
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What can you tell me about this 1960s Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What can you tell me about this 1960s Omega

I have been wanting a vintage Omega for quiet some time. I had done my research and was stumped on what to get. I then came across this and for the price I thought it was worth a shot. I have 14 days to return it so it is a risk free purchase.

Can anyone tell me more about this model?

Omega Seamaster 1960's Stainless Steel Watch Orange Second Hand Automatic Date | eBay

Re: What can you tell me about this 1960s Omega

Bumping this for any information. I should have the watch by the end of the week and will post photos then. Any ideas in the mean time will be of great help. I am also going to take the watch to a authorized jeweler this weekend to have it looked over to make sure everything checks out.

dont think you will get much info without opening the back, if you dont have much luck in here try posting in the vintage forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Joe,

Thank you. I am taking it to the jeweler this weekend to have it opened up. I will get the reference number and report back. From what I have found the watch is very similar to 166.0010.

Two questions:
    1. It came with what appears to be a pretty cheap watch band. Is it best to find a OEM Omega or should I go with another option; maybe Hirsch?

2. To change the date I pull the crown to the third position and the date changes, but does not change when I rotate the crown. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    To change the date I pull the crown to the third position and the date changes, Is this normal?
    yep, some older movements have a pre-quickset date change function, sometimes referred to as a push-pull date change or "pumping the crown."

It's a 565 movement - it looks great. I have a tuning fork watch in the same case and it's a lovely case. So you have a nice example of of a watch with one of Omega's better cases with arguably the best movement they ever made in it. I'd say that you have done extremely well. Enjoy
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Agree with m4tt - it's a very nice piece . Not sure if the second sweep is actually original to the watch, but the case has its original finish right down to the polished chamfer on each side of the lugs. This indicates that the watch has not had much wrist time. I think you scored well.

EDIT I forgot to mention that this is probably a 166.010
    Last edited by mondodec; January 26th, 2013 at 07:57.
    NT931 likes this.

I just went with a hirsch strap with a old style buckle

you bought a nice classic congrats
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    It came with what appears to be a pretty cheap watch band. Is it best to find a OEM Omega or should I go with another option; maybe Hirsch?
    Congrats on a lovely watch! Philosophically, does it really matter which band you select? You can always buy a few and rotate them as you see fit - that's half the fun of owning a watch :)

For example, I think this would work well on an alligator strap, or even ostrich, both in dark brown. Have fun with your future watch strap choices!
    Last edited by NT931; January 26th, 2013 at 08:43.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information