Who has a METAS movement that is losing time?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Who has a METAS movement that is losing time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who has a METAS movement that is losing time?

I would just like some feedback from those who have PO 8900s/8800s and SMP 8800s and notice their watches losing time over 24 hour periods.

I've had a total of 3 Planet Ocean 8900s: two of them were -0.5 and -1 sec per day and one was +1 sec per day. All were bought new. Because two of these lost time after 24 hours, I'm chalking it up those two having much tighter tolerances than the other one that gained. When I registered these watches on the Omega website and looked at the individual performance results, the two watches that lost time over a 24hr period always had an average that was closer to 0, while the one that gained had an average of 4.6 sec per day in a range of 0-5 seconds.

I'm saying the loss might be normal because my first PO 8900 that lost time, I sent it over to Omega for diagnostics and testing. They had it for a week and reported that it was within METAS specs, but on my wrist that was never the case. I've seen numerous other people here and omegaforums.com with METAS movements post about how their watches lose time in a 24 hour period, usually ranging from -2 to -0.5. I find it odd because theoretically a METAS movement should never lose time. But I also know that if the watch spends most of its time in a slow position, that will skew the accuracy.

With my latest PO 8900 purchased only a week ago, I notice it'll lose 1.5 seconds over 15 hours of wrist time. When I set it at night, crown up, it'll gain 0.5 seconds back so the total loss over 24 hours is 1 second. I think crown up is the "fast" position for this particular watch, but the only issue is that it doesn't make up for what it lost fast enough. I'm hopeful this will improve since it's still a new watch, but I've been reading that "settling in" and "break in" periods for mechanical watches are just myths.

Is there anyone else with a METAS movement noticing a loss over 24 hours?

Re: Who has a METAS movement that is losing time?

N8G

Not losing, but my AT with an 8900 is gaining 3.5 a day. I wouldn't mind losing less than a second a day, but understand it isn't in METAS spec.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by N8G View Post
    Not losing, but my AT with an 8900 is gaining 3.5 a day. I wouldn't mind losing less than a second a day, but understand it isn't in METAS spec.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks but I'm looking for input from those who are losing time, not gaining

Don't movements wear in? Aren't you going to have a difference between out of the box and after a month? Also unless it's a tourbillon just moving around will have it lose time. That being said my crummy 1164 calibre loses less than a second sitting still, while it can get up to +/-2 during movement.

Quote Originally Posted by borre View Post
    Has the time loss improved?
    Current Rotation:
    Planet Ocean 8900 43.5
    Planet Ocean 2500D 42mm
    Planet Ocean 2500D 45mm

No. The same as on day one. I don't believe in the statement a watch has a break-in period. If there was such a thing as break-in time, all METAS test would be useless because accuracy then changes after a couple of weeks.
    Archer likes this.

Pardon? The certification is that the watch can keep very accurate time, not that it didn't need to be regulated ever.

I have had odd experiences with my AT. Like you, fresh out of the box it wasnt great but it does tend to settle down after a while although mine was gain. Im not saying this is a running in period, merely its getting put through normal use over a week ie resting, walking, working out, left on a table overnight etc. Theyre regulated to several positions so over the course of a few days they do tend to stabilise. Im terrible at explaining this, Archer is the man for that but if youre monitoring the watch at work for example and youre on a pc all day, youll get different results to someone who is a lifeguard and someone standing at a till all day, hence the several positions. Your watch spends a lot of time crown down as youre walking around on a day to day basis so if you send it in, it will probably be tested to all positions and pass them all but you may still find its "not within spec". Im not making excuses for omega at all. I am pleased with my AT but it definitely performs differently to my Tudor Pelagos which seems to be spot on spec every day regardless of exercise etc but thats just down to how its regulated. Hope this rambling makes sense. Just wanted to save you taking it back, then being sent to Omega and coming back after 2 months exactly the same and passing all the tests.
    POinNY and BufordTJustice like this.

So it's -1 second over 51 hours. Seems like it initially loses the most time on a fresh full wind and then makes up half of that time that following night in the crown up position, so the next morning it's -1. Throughout the course of the day it'll lose another 0.5 seconds which puts it back at -1.5 by the time I sleep and then it'll gain 3/4 second at night... repeat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information