Why I’ve chosen the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch as “the one”.
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Why I’ve chosen the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch as “the one”.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why I’ve chosen the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch as “the one”.

This journey into watches and “WISdom” has been great fun. I’ve been able to keep total net losses low by buying pre-loved and waiting for bargains where possible. Very early on, the Speedy Pro was hailed as a special watch across the forums and the internet and I started to learn more about it, but it was only until this year that I honed in on it as being “the one” I will be going for when the time is right.

The reasons for its iconic status are well-known, but I will elaborate on my personal reasons for this model winning out in the “Grail Wars” (TV show idea hmm??).

Number one, I’m a huge space nerd. If I could start over (and was a quite a bit smarter), I would become an astrophysicist as I find space, multi-verses, space-time and all these other concepts endlessly fascinating. Next, I love chronographs, and this being relatively slim is perfect for my wrist. I’ve found myself with a collection made up of a variety of watches, but as it turns out, I have more chronos than divers. How is this possible?? ;) If you can only have one chronograph, I would argue this would be it so it has that going for it as well. The concept of time itself is amazing to me and having an instant timer on my wrist just works.

My son who is turning 12 this year is also very much into science and math and it certainly played a part that he may also appreciate the history of this model at some point in his adult life so if I was to leave any watch to him, this is a prime candidate. It is as timeless as any other model and that adds to the appeal. It takes a trained eye to spot real differences between today’s model and the one from the 60s, 70s and beyond.

Finally, as an immigrant to the US from Europe, the idea that a European maker played a part in the American space program with a tool that actually was used by the astronauts is just awesome and as a US citizen, anything Americans have done and do with such positive effects on the rest of the world makes me very proud. I chose to be American and while I’m proud of where I came from, being American is more special to me. This is where my family and I have created our lives together and where we want to stay.

This is a little corny, but when I moved to the US I came with two suitcases and it was a huge adventure for me. I hoped it would work out in this new country but you can never be sure. I feel that the Speedmaster’s trip to the moon was a similar journey into the unknown, and, like the Speedmaster, I lived to tell the tale.

So – this is why a Speedy Pro is the next watch that won’t be an affordable and the one I’ll keep forever.

-J
    Last edited by jkpa; January 18th, 2018 at 21:32.

Re: Why I’ve chosen the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch as “the one”.

I can’t fault your choice, the speedmaster is a great watch. It’s great that you’ve settled somewhere that makes you happy.

It's a great watch. Love mine!
    Name:  IMG_3303.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  3.02 MB
    jkpa, nigelw, TJ Boogie and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, very well written. I appreciate your comments about this country. If I could give one piece of advice on the adventure - don’t squander it. Do great things. Give back. Be a part of something greater than your self. That is the true American dream.

As for your choice of watch - simply outstanding. And the fact that it has such personal meaning to you will add that much more to obtaining and enjoying that piece. I wish you all the luck in both your new adventure here in these United States, and in obtaining your grail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jkpa and MJK737 like this.
    “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

You've made a great choice in a watch, and an even better choice to make the most of your opportunity in this great land. Your son is lucky to have a dad thinking of his future in so many ways. Congrats and make sure you swarm us with photos of the new beast!
    TechGuyJ and jkpa like this.

Very cool Jkpa, congratulations on your choice. I thoroughly enjoy mine (pic related):

Name:  Speedmaster Professional.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  624.2 KB
    TechGuyJ, jkpa and Artek like this.
    Best Regards,

--Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Palmettoman View Post
    It's a great watch. Love mine!
    Name:  IMG_3303.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  3.02 MB
    What is make of that strap? Looks bad ass, and I need to get one for mine.
    Artek likes this.

What kind of strap is that??? Really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story, as an individual and as WIS! The Speedy Pro is one of those objects that defies its base purpose, and projects itself as a symbol, for those that know. It remains my first and most important mechanical watch. Perfect for its use.
    umarrajs likes this.

Welcome to the greatest country in the world! It's a the perfect grail watch and I hope you can get one sooner than later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information