Would you regulate a METAS movement that was running -2.5 spd?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would you regulate a METAS movement that was running -2.5 spd?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My friend picked up a used PO 8900 recently (but like new and under Omega warranty). After wearing the watch everyday for 3 weeks it is about a minute slow and is consistently about -2.5 spd.

In the grand scheme of things that is pretty good accuracy... But on the flip side it is out of spec I believe.

I’ve been telling him to send it in to Omega because having something out of spec would bug me to no end, I’m too OCD. Also I hate slow running watches. One thing I don’t know is would Omega regulate the watch for him under warranty?

At -2.5spd, I probably would. It bugs me to have a watch run slow for several reasons, and it is out of spec. https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...certification/

If the AD he bought it from has an Omega certified watchmaker on staff, he may be able to get it taken care of in a matter of a few minutes and not have to send it in. Some OB locations also have watchmakers on staff or that make regular rotations to that location. Give a feels placed a call to see if and when he could bring it in to have them look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Re: Would you regulate a METAS movement that was running -2.5 spd?

If it annoys him, then he should do it. Kinda weird to get someone else's watch get warranty work done when you are annoyed by it lol. It's a new level of WIS. In the next level, you start changing his straps while he's asleep.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    If it annoys him, then he should do it. Kinda weird to get someone else's watch get warranty work done when you are annoyed by it lol. It's a new level of WIS. In the next level, you start changing his straps while he's asleep.
    LOL!

Well he bought the watch partially on my recommendation, so I kind of feel vested in his happiness with it. Also I’m kind of curious because it’s been about 10 years since I’ve owned an Omega so I’m not sure what are reasonable expectations with them these days.
    Last edited by Biginboca; 1 Week Ago at 18:25.

Yes, that is out of spec, I would have it regulated.

My local boutique will regulate any watch I take to them and never charge whether in warranty or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    My Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/barny.1976/

Current

Rolex Submariner 14060M Y Serial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition

Gone

Ω Omega Speedmaster 3592.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 300 60th Anniversary Limited Edition
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Ω Omega 36mm Railmaster

Ω Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre Limited Edition
    Ω Omega 38.5mm Aqua Terra "Skyfall"
    Ω Omega Speedmaster 3873.50 Sapphire Sandwich
    Ω Omega Aqua Terra 39mm Starburst blue dial
    Ω Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster 2254.50

heb

Three weeks of wear is much too short a time period to decide on a service. Give it 3 months (12 weeks), recording a final monthly derived (only one hack, at beginning of month) Average Daily Rate and record each of the 4 constituent weekly derived rates. If they all are close to -2.5, do NOTHING; you have a high precision watch. Sending it in has a greater chance of screwing up your watch's precision than helping same. If your watch's rate speeds up a bit, that's a good thing; do NOTHING. If its lose rate worsens, send it in.

Good luck with your watch,
    heb
    Deanster and rfortson like this.

-2.5 SPD, is that right??

Wow that’s only about 1 minute a month!!

Is that really out of spec for a mechanical watch worn in the real world, away from a bench environment.

I would be happy with that deviation on any watch, but if you are OCD with the atomic clock then give Omega a ring and see what they say.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by heb View Post
    Three weeks of wear is much too short a time period to decide on a service. Give it 3 months (12 weeks), recording a final monthly derived (only one hack, at beginning of month) Average Daily Rate and record each of the 4 constituent weekly derived rates. If they all are close to -2.5, do NOTHING; you have a high precision watch. Sending it in has a greater chance of screwing up your watch's precision than helping same. If your watch's rate speeds up a bit, that's a good thing; do NOTHING. If its lose rate worsens, send it in.

Good luck with your watch,
    heb
    This, exactly.

Even METAS is just a combination of different specs, and if it's consistent at -2.5 in the real world, that's a damn accurate watch.

Since it's being regulated for the best mix of different positions, temps, etc, I'd take a watch that's nice and consistent over one that's got more variation in specific positions, etc.

In particular, the chances that he ends up with a regulation that's more of a real-world issue seems high, relative to the very minor 'problem' you're attempting to fix.

I know other people have different priorities, but given how I rotate and fairly casually set watches, I'd NEVER notice a minute a month variation.

Unpopular opinion: If someone is looking for greater-than-COSC accuracy, they should probably look to a high-quality thermocompensated quartz movement.
    Mouse_at_Large likes this.

I have a great distrust of watchmakers so I look for any reason not to have an otherwise good watch opened up. I've too many watches returned with scratches, dust on dial etc. Maybe the watchmakers around me aren't the best quality... I've got a speedy doing +12, I won't take it in...
    heb likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information