6 year old 6r15 - worth regulating/repairing/replacing?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 6 year old 6r15 - worth regulating/repairing/replacing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a six year old SARG003 which I have been happily wearing for a large chunk of that time, so starting to get on a bit in age.

Lately the accuracy has started going a bit - losing around a minute a day. For me this is slipping past the 'still usable' band into the 'what use is a watch if i need to reset it every day' end of the scale, so it is time it got a bit of care.

Here is where I want to ask a bit of advice from those more experienced than myself - I know I can get it regulated, but with a six year old movement, will this be worth doing if it is starting to get worn out, and will it just quickly start drifting again? Option two would be to get it maintained properly - cleaned, lubed, regulated and brought back to a good working condition, which will be more expensive. Option three was questioning whether it is worth spending the money on a service for a relatively basic movement, versus sourcing a new movement and swapping it out?

It is really a question of what is practical and cost effective - given the watch wasn't hugely expensive in the first place, to do much work doesn't seem economical, however I would much prefer to keep the watch going rather than writing it off and replacing it (especially since they do't make them any more, and I have yet to find anything I like better...).

So any advice or thoughts?

I got my skx013 serviced about a year or so ago. I bought it in 2015, but after awhile it appeared to losing more time than usual. It was my first daily diver and have worn it everyday for years. It was worth it for me because I know I will never sell it and and continue to wear it years down the road. It was worth it for me due to the sentimental value.

Re: 6 year old 6r15 - worth regulating/repairing/replacing?

If you send it to Seiko UK for a "service" it is likely that it will just be swapped out for another 6r15 movement anyway.

I did this with my Sarb a few years ago and in fairness its been running fine since. It was running at -25 spd before sending it in to Seiko and has been ~ +10 spd since.
    yankeexpress likes this.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Last edited by Munchie; 3 Days Ago at 14:00. Reason: double
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Quote Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
    If you send it to Seiko UK for a "service" it is likely that it will just be swapped out for another 6r15 movement anyway.

I did this with my Sarb a few years ago and in fairness its been running fine since. It was running at -25 spd before sending it in to Seiko and has been ~ +10 spd since.
    I will have to admit that I hadn't actually considered Seiko themselves - I was figuring since it is long out of warranty (and an import anyway) a local shop would be the obvious choice.

Do Seiko have any information regarding costs and so on for service work?

I went through this recently with a SARB035.

The NE15 (SII 6R15) is a bit pricey compared to the value of most of the watches it is in. You can likely service it for similar money.

If you are not concerned about keeping it all original, you can instead put in an NH35 (4R35) which are about a third of the cost and just swap the rotor over.

I hadn’t ever thought of actually using Seiko UK though. Would love to understand people’s experience with prices on that.
    Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus | NTH Amphion Vintage | Seikos old and new | A heap of Vostok Amphibians | A handful of Raketas | A pile of Timexes

Double post do here’s a 6R15

Last edited by dmnc; 3 Days Ago at 14:37.
    Stowa Flieger Klassik 40 Ikarus | NTH Amphion Vintage | Seikos old and new | A heap of Vostok Amphibians | A handful of Raketas | A pile of Timexes

https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/pages/serviceprice/

I’d imagine you’d be looking at similar prices where you are if you have Seiko do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by narcosynthesis View Post
    I will have to admit that I hadn't actually considered Seiko themselves - I was figuring since it is long out of warranty (and an import anyway) a local shop would be the obvious choice.

Do Seiko have any information regarding costs and so on for service work?

I think its all on their website - just give it a google.

edit: I just have - they say you need to call to get a quote - I cant remember how much I paid but I'm pretty sure it wasn't over £100.

I would always use the manufacturer for servicing /repair - I do not know of any independent watch repairers that I would actually trust with any of my watches.
    Cheers

M

Cheers

M

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information