6R15 inconsistent time keeping - Page 6
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 6R15 inconsistent time keeping

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: 6R15 inconsistent time keeping

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofrings View Post
    Seiko quartz movement will free you from this problems.
    I’m definitely not giving them any more money for an automatic. If my 6R15 is actually having issues that regulation can’t help I’ll pay to fix it at least. It was a gift from my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Premise View Post
    I’m definitely not giving them any more money for an automatic. If my 6R15 is actually having issues that regulation can’t help I’ll pay to fix it at least. It was a gift from my wife.
    If you're willing to spend the dosh and go whole hog, you could consider getting your 6R15 watch serviced at an independent watchmaker. And I mean PROPERLY serviced (disassembly, cleaning, re-lubrication, etc.), NOT a simple movement replacement. AFAIK, if you take your affordable Seiko (7S, 4R, 6R) to a Seiko service centre, they'll usually just drop in a replacement movement (because it's cheaper that way), which is just as likely to exhibit similar timekeeping issues from the factory. With an independent watchmaker, you could specify that you want a full movement service, even if it's gonna cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaTom View Post
    If you're willing to spend the dosh and go whole hog, you could consider getting your 6R15 watch serviced at an independent watchmaker. And I mean PROPERLY serviced (disassembly, cleaning, re-lubrication, etc.), NOT a simple movement replacement. AFAIK, if you take your affordable Seiko (7S, 4R, 6R) to a Seiko service centre, they'll usually just drop in a replacement movement (because it's cheaper that way), which is just as likely to exhibit similar timekeeping issues from the factory. With an independent watchmaker, you could specify that you want a full movement service, even if it's gonna cost more.
    My plan is a proper service at some point. Almost every Seiko auto I’ve had that I kept more than a year had failed by year two. This one just lost 3 minutes overnight. I think at this point it’s in desperate need of a service and I don’t want a drop in. It’s definitely solidified the fact that I don’t find any value in affordable Seikos and I very much doubt regulation alone would help.
    sernsin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My plan is a proper service at some point. Almost every Seiko auto Iíve had that I kept more than a year had failed by year two. This one just lost 3 minutes overnight. I think at this point itís in desperate need of a service and I donít want a drop in. Itís definitely solidified the fact that I donít find any value in affordable Seikos and I very much doubt regulation alone would help.
    Just for counterpoint, my first automatic watch, a Seiko 5, ran pretty much continuously for 17 years without service before it started keeping poor time, and finally stopped ticking. As many people have had similar experiences, I'd go out on a limb to say your experience is not typical for the Seiko brand.
    Joll71 and Robotaz like this.

My plan is a proper service at some point. Almost every Seiko auto Iíve had that I kept more than a year had failed by year two. This one just lost 3 minutes overnight. I think at this point itís in desperate need of a service and I donít want a drop in. Itís definitely solidified the fact that I donít find any value in affordable Seikos and I very much doubt regulation alone would help.
    Sorry to hear that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlahhh View Post
    Just for counterpoint, my first automatic watch, a Seiko 5, ran pretty much continuously for 17 years without service before it started keeping poor time, and finally stopped ticking. As many people have had similar experiences, I'd go out on a limb to say your experience is not typical for the Seiko brand.
    I think they used to be built better. My first couple of Seikos were great. One ran fast but was consistent. After that almost all slowed considerably if I kept them a long time. This one so far has been the worst.

Just to extrapolate on my last post I did crack open this watch and did some tuning after measurements. I don’t have a way to check for beat error, so this was just on daily rate using a smart phone app which I’ve used with every watch I’ve tuned myself. First number is before, second is after adjustment all in seconds per day. Both sets were done with the back on and in a sealed box to reduce error from outside noise.

Dial up -13 / +4
    Dial down -20 / -1
    Crown up -20 / +1
    Crown down -43 / -5

Positional error seems very good now adjusted, it just seems the adjustment slipped somehow. It’s always lost time since I had got it, but usually about 3 seconds a day dial up in the watch box. All Seikos seem to “settle” over time for me so I’m not going to call this an issue if it’s not irratic.
    ajwan likes this.

I've got 2x 6r15's and 1x 4r36 and i must say the 4r36 has been the most consistent. It also cops a flogging and in and out of the surf on a regular basis. The 6R15's receive regular usage and whilst they're not totally inconsistent, apart from the longer power duration, i don't consider it worth the premium.

I personally won't buy another 6r15 again and would much prefer the 'cheaper' 4r36 movement
    ewewew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Curl View Post
    I've got 2x 6r15's and 1x 4r36 and i must say the 4r36 has been the most consistent. It also cops a flogging and in and out of the surf on a regular basis. The 6R15's receive regular usage and whilst they're not totally inconsistent, apart from the longer power duration, i don't consider it worth the premium.

I personally won't buy another 6r15 again and would much prefer the 'cheaper' 4r36 movement
    I would agree with this. Luck of the draw on 4R36 had me within a couple seconds a day on 4, another needed regulation, but was very consistent. I wish the 6R was as reliable. I hope mine stays where it’s at after this regulation. It’s been spot on for 5 hours since I toyed with it.
    ajwan and ewewew like this.

Just wanted to chime in that most watches I owned with the 6r15 movement have been a nightmare in terms of accuracy. I have owned watches with the 6r15C movement that apparently has an issue that results in low amplitude, but the 6r15B in my Seiko SARB070 also shows low amplitude and the timekeeping varies a good amount depending on the position. I tried demagnetizing it to see if that was the issue, but it looks like the movement might just need a service after all.
    Omega GenŤve Ref. 136.011SP, Seiko SARB070, Orient Star RE-AU0004B00B, Seiko SUN043

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information