After regulating, why is watch slowing down over a few weeks

Thread: After regulating, why is watch slowing down over a few weeks

After regulating, why is watch slowing down over a few weeks

I own a SKX007 for about 2 years. It's always been slow, about 20 seconds or so, so about a month ago I opened it up and adjusted the speed a bit. When tested, it was about 14 seconds fast. Since then, the watch has been slowing down so now, its only 2 seconds fast. What would be causing this?. I'm worried it will get back to being slow.

Thanks for reading

Re: After regulating, why is watch slowing down over a few weeks

The 7S26 is a basic movement that can be regulated decently. Don’t expect too much out of it. Wear it for a while to see if it settles in to your regulation. Great watch and a keeper.

Temperature may be affecting time keeping. It may be colder out now than when you regulated the watch and thus the watch is slowing down. Another possibility is that the watch may be “settling in” all over again now that you’ve regulated it. My understanding is the regulating affects the tension on the hairspring and now the tension is working its way evenly throughout the spring as it winds and unwinds, resulting in lower tension and thus slower timekeeping. Perhaps once the hairspring reaches equilibrium, it will stop slowing down. My recommendation would be to let the watch‘s mainspring unwind completely till it stops ticking and to rewind it to full charge.
    Last edited by Degr8n8; 5 Days Ago at 04:15.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do believe that I read somewhere that it’s not uncommon for the 7S movement to drift after regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren99 View Post
    I own a SKX007 for about 2 years. It's always been slow, about 20 seconds or so, so about a month ago I opened it up and adjusted the speed a bit. When tested, it was about 14 seconds fast. Since then, the watch has been slowing down so now, its only 2 seconds fast. What would be causing this?. I'm worried it will get back to being slow.

Thanks for reading
    The amount of wind affects the running of these movements. If you are going to attempt regulation do it with a full wind. It takes a good 5 minutes of side to side movement to fully wind these. You may have done yours while the tension was on the low side.
    "Some day I'm going to buy a real wristwatch"

"When I only had one watch I always knew what time it was, but now I'm no longer sure"

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    The amount of wind affects the running of these movements. If you are going to attempt regulation do it with a full wind. It takes a good 5 minutes of side to side movement to fully wind these. You may have done yours while the tension was on the low side.
    For a second I thought you mean wind as in weather, and that's probably true as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clyde_frog View Post
    For a second I thought you mean wind as in weather, and that's probably true as well.
    With the sort of wind we had in the UK yesterday it’s definitely true.

There could be something in it that's causing issues with the mechanism and causing it to slow.
    Was there dust around when you opened it up to regulate?

Thread Information