Airport Security, Microwave ovens, and metal detectors...

Thread: Airport Security, Microwave ovens, and metal detectors...

Airport Security, Microwave ovens, and metal detectors...

I will have to take a trip this coming summer and would like to know if going through our TSA security procedures of passing through a metal detector, or placing those valuables in a plastic tray as it gets x-rayed, or standing within a foot or two of an operating microwave oven can have a detrimental effect on our automatic watches?
    Any experiences or facts about the effects these electromagnetic buggers may have on autos?
    thanks in advance-
    Chuck

Re: Airport Security, Microwave ovens, and metal detectors...

X-Ray's won't harm them and metal detectors won't harm them. Microwave ovens have built in shielding, so people will not get harmed. Also, microwave ovens do not heat from the inside out. They heat from the outside in, so if you can feel the heat, simply move away.

I would say you are good to go.

Mike

At the court house here you have to go through a metal detector to get in. I asked if they wanted me to remove my watch (seiko SNM035). The watch is big with a solid link bracelet. They said no. I walked through the detector and it did not go off. I have been there a few times, but not for going to court. Paying vehicle taxes and such. Seems odd to me that my watch will not set it off. Same thing at the airport.

To your original question. My watch continues to run around 3 sec slow a day. The machines wont hurt it. Unless you put it in the microwave, then it might be kinda sparky.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sparkem View Post
    The machines wont hurt it. Unless you put it in the microwave, then it might be kinda sparky.
    Note to self: Don't ever cook watch in the microwave to dry it off!
    My sig is no sig.

Never had no problems thus far.

Keep in mind that a man and his watch are soon parted!

By that, I mean keep it on your wrist. Should you have issues going through security, then take it off. Why risk scratching or theft otherwise???

FWIW, I used to travel while wearing a Temption 3Xdate chrono. It never set off of the walk through scanner.

Cheers!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by D N Ravenna View Post
    Keep in mind that a man and his watch are soon parted!
    Sound advice. When I go through, I always put mine in a cloth bag & stuff it in with my carry on. It "discourages" anyone from grabbing it off the tray as it comes through & then telling you that they never saw it. This happens more frequently than you would think, especially when it's busy & your stuff goes through long before you do.

Its ok to let the watches through the machines.

What bugged me once was when the airport security told me to take off my watch and pass it to them, they took it and threw it onto the small flat basket for scanning.

That watch was scratched when I got it back. It was my Omega SMP.....darn.

Quote Originally Posted by cab_cali View Post
    I will have to take a trip this coming summer and would like to know if going through our TSA security procedures of passing through a metal detector, or placing those valuables in a plastic tray as it gets x-rayed, or standing within a foot or two of an operating microwave oven can have a detrimental effect on our automatic watches?
    Any experiences or facts about the effects these electromagnetic buggers may have on autos?
    thanks in advance-
    Chuck
    As others noted xrays and microwaves should not have any effect. Indeed I travel a lot and have yet to encounter any problem. Just don't wear your watch in the MRI machine and don't wear it close to a 17 inch woofer and all will be well.

Thread Information