Auto winder questions for Seiko 6139 - My next noob question. Bear with me please I'm learning. - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Auto winder questions for Seiko 6139 - My next noob question. Bear with me please I'm learning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Auto winder questions for Seiko 6139 - My next noob question. Bear with me please I'm learning

Re: Auto winder questions for Seiko 6139 - My next noob question. Bear with me please I'm learning

I was actually kicking around the idea of using this motor as a prototype/proof of concept. Its pretty slow, its from an old erector set from the 50's. I screwed a small dogfood can to the gear drive on it, slightly off center, so it wobbles as it turns. I was thinking I can attach the bracelet around the dog food can after I glue on some gripping foam or add some tape or something so it doesn't slip around. It's roughly wrist sized.

Name:  winder motor 1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  92.5 KB

Here you can see a couple of the different gears it has for different speeds.

Name:  winder motor 2.jpg
Size:  88.4 KB

What do ya think?

Edit: I just tested this, and it seems to work really well functionally and conceptually speaking. In its current state of test engineering, its ugly as sin, and the motor is very noisy. I could probably make a nice wood box for this, and do some rubber/foam mounts for the motor to cut down on noise and vibration.....
    Last edited by IIIQuaZIII; April 2nd, 2018 at 05:07.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Doing this will reduce wear on the clutch and no sense running it extra since you're just adding unnecessary wear.

Speaking of which, I normally wouldn't put a 45 year old watch on a winder. It's already had a long life and no point adding to the wear. But if any watch could take it, I'd say the Seiko would handle it pretty well.
    I never even thought about whether or not I should do it....I was just thinking of the convenience of slipping on a perfectly set watch...... Interesting points.
    Last edited by IIIQuaZIII; April 2nd, 2018 at 05:40.
    rfortson likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IIIQuaZIII View Post
    I was actually kicking around the idea of using this motor as a prototype/proof of concept. Its pretty slow, its from an old erector set from the 50's. I screwed a small dogfood can to the gear drive on it, slightly off center, so it wobbles as it turns. I was thinking I can attach the bracelet around the dog food can after I glue on some gripping foam or add some tape or something so it doesn't slip around. It's roughly wrist sized.

Name:  winder motor 1.jpg
Size:  92.5 KB

Here you can see a couple of the different gears it has for different speeds.

Name:  winder motor 2.jpg
Size:  88.4 KB

What do ya think?

Edit: I just tested this, and it seems to work really well functionally and conceptually speaking. In its current state of test engineering, its ugly as sin, and the motor is very noisy. I could probably make a nice wood box for this, and do some rubber/foam mounts for the motor to cut down on noise and vibration.....
    Looks like a good way to magnetize your watch. Mechanical watches and magnets don't usually play well together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a 6309 in mine now pre Timegrapher checking

It's inside a pocket cut into a block of foam.

Name:  DSCN2543.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  388.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Looks like a good way to magnetize your watch. Mechanical watches and magnets don't usually play well together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Huh, never even thought of that.....I guess I could see it creating a problem though, from an engineering standpoint.....now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ53 View Post
    I have a 6309 in mine now pre Timegrapher checking

It's inside a pocket cut into a block of foam.

Name:  DSCN2543.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  388.4 KB
    Huh, that's pretty interesting.....Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by IIIQuaZIII View Post
    Huh, never even thought of that.....I guess I could see it creating a problem though, from an engineering standpoint.....now that you mention it.
    Just something to be aware of. Please continue with your work because I enjoy your creativity and fearlessness. Are you going to "dress up" the winder in a case? You could probably shield the motor somehow within that and isolate it from the watch.

How are you controlling it? Are you building the controller? The Orbita database may come in handy in setting winding directions and TPD, especially if you're planning to use this for other watches in the future.

Orbita - Watch Database

Well, I'm definitely fearless, though I haven't posted a whole lot of creativity yet. The thought had crossed my mind, to build a nice little oak or pine box with some stain and varnish, with a nice plexi-glass front that opens up with the rotating part extended inside with the motor hidden, and just run a toggle switch on the main power cord for basic on/off control. I was also planning on maybe using a simple electrical light timer switch, to cycle it on/off automatically, so that it doesn't run all the time. Maybe an hour on 2 hours off kinda deal.... I have a couple of these really simple timer switches laying around:

Name:  14440330.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  154.4 KB
    Last edited by IIIQuaZIII; April 6th, 2018 at 06:58.

Buy more watches rotate often. Setting watches becomes more fun and you spend more time admiring the watch of the day.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

not sure if its been mentioned but the orientation of the watch winder also matters sometimes. i have a watch winder were my 6139 is slanted and my watch stopped. then i put a pice of wood so the watch orientation is almost vertical and its fine. i think the rotor was not getting a full wind thsts why it stopped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information