BFK Durability Testing - more updates
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: BFK Durability Testing - more updates

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

BFK Durability Testing - more updates

So, I picked up a cheap beater Black BFK last year that had a number of scratches in the finish and was without a bracelet. After wearing for awhile as a beater I decided to use it as a Project watch and crudely attempted to remove the plating via sanding with mixed results as documented in a thread last year. Ended up with an aged patina look. Looks better in the photo than real life........

Fast forward to today. I just ordered a LNIB Seiko ska371 as I liked this watch so much and wanted a nicer version to wear. Now the above experiment watch is expendable so I thought perhaps a series of durability tests would be in order to test the ruggedness of the Kinetic movement/rotor as some have cited this as a weakness versus a traditional battery powered quartz watch. Of course these tests would be scientifically documented here. A couple of ideas I had mirror the standard G-shock torture tests, such as freezing in ice, running through the dishwasher, throwing out a second floor window, boiling etc..... Curious if anyone else has ideas for testing the movement. Have to keep in mind that I opened the watch numerous times during the refinish process, so the WR could be compromised................ I will report back over the weekend..............
    Last edited by dnslater; March 3rd, 2012 at 17:54.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Re: BFK Durability Testing

I look forward to reading about your endeavors!

HAHA this could become the most anticipated thread for everyone!!

You should schedule your posts so we can "TUNE IN" as soon as they are posted!!

You know, someone asks you, "So, what are you up to friday night?"

and you go: "Oh, just gonna tune in to see whether the BFK survived a TTW (Torture Test of the Week)!"

And the other person is gonna go: "WTF is BFK, or TTW, and i dont think we should be friends anymore?"

dnslater, DM71, serge70 and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love the idea go for it!!!
    -O
    Anonimo
    Chronoscopio AMG Special Edition
    Militare Chrono Ox-Pro Edition II
    Aquadive BS300
    DOXA 6000t
    Marathon JSAR
    RESCO ​Patriot x 2
    Panerai 177 "The Stephanie"
    Sinn U1
    Seiko SBDX014, SBBN013, SRP043K, SRP455
    Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver
    Casio G-Shock:GWG-1000-1A3, 1AJF, GXW56E-1, GX56-1B, GD-100MS-1
    Vintage Jaeger LeCoultre, REVERSO 976 and Universal Geneve
    "Time is too precious to keep it on an inexpensive watch"

as a new SKA owner, I'd definitely like to read about the results
    satiriadis likes this.
    * Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber * Nos Defiones *

for additional ideas, search for some user "yamahaki" torture test posts on WUS and other forums. He did a series of funny videos abusing watches to and beyond their limits. Not sure if his videos are still online, but they were very amusing and creative. He dropped off WUS a few years back, but was one of the big personalities during the first few years after I found WUS.

Just tightened the crown , synced to my atomic casio and submerged in .001 ATM of tap water in polyethylene test container. Placed in my deep freeze. Subject is resting comfortably next to Frozen sausage. Will report back tomorrow.

Last edited by dnslater; February 29th, 2012 at 01:21.
    stuart77, Marrin, serdal23 and 3 others like this.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by twylie View Post
    for additional ideas, search for some user "yamahaki" torture test posts on WUS and other forums. He did a series of funny videos abusing watches to and beyond their limits. Not sure if his videos are still online, but they were very amusing and creative. He dropped off WUS a few years back, but was one of the big personalities during the first few years after I found WUS.
    Thanks for the tip, I found a little info on his test. I like his idea of using the washing machine spin cycle. That would be a good test of durability of the rotor. Also the power reserve was measuring 10 seconds today. Can't recall what that translates to but I will see how this changes through the tests.

Kind Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I found a little info on his test. I like his idea of using the washing machine spin cycle. That would be a good test of durability of the rotor. Also the power reserve was measuring 10 seconds today. Can't recall what that translates to but I will see how this changes through the tests.
    That's a pretty low power reserve.

5 sec = 1 Day
    10 sec = 1 Week
    20 sec = 1 Month
    30 sec = 6 months

Unless the tests simulate energetic wrist movement, the only change to the 10 sec reserve you observed will be a diminishment.

In all fairness to the watch, it would be a good idea to charge the watch more before testing. Especially the freezer test you have just started. Cold will reduce the level of charge.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Think i am gonna love this thread.Will be watching.
    leroytwohawks likes this.
    Mike

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information