Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee - Page 12
Like Tree683Likes

Thread: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Re: Blue Seiko Alpinist US limited edition Hodinkee

I simply cannot fathom how so many people could find $600 too pricey in 2019 for a 6R Seiko, especially one that has been desired for so long. The 017 sells for 500+ these days, new. Methinks complaining about the price is like complaining about how cars used to cost $10k new. The day of the $300 6R Seiko is long gone, and honestly I think Seiko is right to move it up market. The quality of the 6R SARB line has ALWAYS been far higher than their price tags suggest.
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmai View Post
    I simply cannot fathom how so many people could find $600 too pricey in 2019 for a 6R Seiko, especially one that has been desired for so long. The 017 sells for 500+ these days, new. Methinks complaining about the price is like complaining about how cars used to cost $10k new. The day of the $300 6R Seiko is long gone, and honestly I think Seiko is right to move it up market. The quality of the 6R SARB line has ALWAYS been far higher than their price tags suggest.
    It hardly matters. They sold every one that was available in a few hours and likely could've sold twice that amount.
    Dan T. and Certified G like this.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesTimer View Post
    It hardly matters. They sold every one that was available in a few hours and likely could've sold twice that amount.
    Twice that amount and at twice the price I would wager even. A thing is worth what people are willing to pay - and if Seiko ever wants to really shed their budget image, they are right, from a business standpoint, to move their lines upmarket. And wasn't the original Alpinist MSRP'd at 500 as well? I think people are just so used to paying far less than retail for Seikos. :P
    Neognosis and Erik816 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I won’t be buying this one but I love the blue color. It’s a great watch, having owned a couple of Alpinists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

Quote Originally Posted by jmai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosAngelesTimer View Post
    Twice that amount and at twice the price I would wager even. A thing is worth what people are willing to pay - and if Seiko ever wants to really shed their budget image, they are right, from a business standpoint, to move their lines upmarket. And wasn't the original Alpinist MSRP'd at 500 as well? I think people are just so used to paying far less than retail for Seikos. :P
    Agree. My 6Rs are so damn accurate for the money. 4Rs - not so much...

- So glad I missed out on the Hodinkee Hamilton Murph,
    - So glad I missed out on the 1970s Minerva I sat through an hour auction for (today),
    - I think it must have been written in the stars...

Damn, first the Hamilton Murph, and now this. There goes this month’s allowance. Was never sure I would like my green alpinist until I put a strapcode on it. Now love it. Different enough from all my divers that it’s a fun diversion. This blue one looks perfect for us alpinist lovers, and nothing wrong with the price as far as I’m concerned. Seems like every new issue attracts the price complainers as the supply gets sold out, so clearly the market has its own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: Sinn U2/Seiko MM300 SBDX017/Seiko Presage LE SARW027/1962 Omega Seamaster/Alpina Alpiner GMT 4/Aquastar Match Race II/Timex IQ YachtRacer/ Seiko SRPB09K1 Blue Lagoon Samurai Ltd/ Seiko SDBC049 Sumo PADI Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I love Seiko, blue and the Alpinist but $650 seems a bit on the rich side.
    +1.
    For the basic 6R15, it's only Hodinkee marketing that will/has made this sell at the puffed-up $600.
    Hodinkee is leveraging its well crafted image as a purveyor of honest advise regarding watches! [I don't begrudge them that].

NYC Hodinkee store is coming.
    93 Honda Civic likes this.
    " Two mighty torches of flame like the wings of a yellow bird of fire flew over a field, covered a field with a brilliant yellow bloomings of flame, and in the midst of it, white as a ghost, white as the white of Melville's Moby Dick, white as the shrine of the Madonna in half the churches of the world, this slim angelic mysterious ship of stages rose without sound out of its incarnantion of flame and began to ascend slowly into the sky, slow as Melville's Leviathan might swim, slowly as we might swim upward in a dream looking for the air............."

Norman Mailer describing the lift-off of Apollo 11.

As much as I loathe Hodinkee and everything they stand for, I grabbed one for myself. I contacted the Seiko Miami boutique to see if I could order from them but they weren't even aware that this model was released today. I was supposed to receive a callback but I haven't heard anything. The price is fair as far as MSRP goes, as of course Hodinkee wouldn't ever discount anything. Considering that the SARB017 sells for $400ish, it's a solid premium that I was willing to pay for the superb aesthetics of the blue dial. I just wish my money went directly to Seiko, but I guess I shouldn't complain as I will be getting what I wanted.
    N.Caffrey likes this.

I thought for sure they would be around until the evening when I could think about it. Had I just not picked up a new SARB 033 yesterday I am sure I would have jumped on one earlier. Seeing that they sold that fast I should have bought 10. Maybe I can find one after a week or two marked up a little. For everyone that were not dragging their feet like me, enjoy it looks like a fun watch.

so they made one for people too boring to rock green and gold. ok. it will sell well. plenty of unadventurous people out there. pump that SARB017 green and gold right into my veins!

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information